PA - Poe Valley State Park

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by sebring96hbg, Jul 14, 2014.

1. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

We stayed at Poe Valley last weekend and it was very nice. The lake is wonderful and the beach house is relatively new. The lake water is relatively clear and the sand was very fine. There is also a new playground structure by the beach as well.

The campground had been modernized within the last few years; so, the shower house is very clean. I liked the sites between #30 and #50. The loop road is paved but narrow, meaning that long hybrids may encounter some difficulty in being backed in.

The campground host does not sell firewood which is instead sold at the beach house concession stand for $6 per bundle between 11 AM and 7 PM Fridays and Saturdays and until 5 PM on other days.

We went there to fish, swim and paddle. We had a fun and relaxing time. Poe Valley is picturesque and isolated - ingredients for a good natural retreat.

I had read before going about the state of the forest road leading to the park from 322 being really bad. It appears to have been renewed. However, it is at least a 10 mile stretch of low MPH forest roads.

2. tlhdoc

tlhdoc New Member

There are several different state forest roads that will take you into Poe Valley, and they are all so so. We have a small property in the valley and I spend a lot of time there. The paved road in the valley has gone downhill the last few years. Rumor is that they will repave the paved road, but you still have to go on the state forest roads to get there.

3. kthomas

kthomas "Camping is my therapy"

Is the forest road paved or a dirt forest road? Looking to go in may just not sure my parents will want to tale their brand new trailer out there for the first time??

4. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

It is a packed gravel road. My low clearance Jayco X23B had no problems on that road.

5. kthomas

hanks, made reservations for May!

6. kthomas

Anyone have any must see or do's while at Poe Valley?

7. JaycoEagle

JaycoEagle New Member

Thanks for the update. I have reservations there for May 29, 30, 31. I've never been there but had heard a lot of good stuff about the upgrades there. I like that it small and secluded. I have been looking at things to do around the park as well. I know there is some wineries somewhat close but I would like to for anyone to chime in with suggestions too.

8. kthomas

Loved Poe Valley! Off the grid, small and secluded! We had a great weekend!

9. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

Just wanted to show some more love for Poe Valley State Park, this park really is a hidden treasure. Since we purchased our popup we've been slowly tackling the PA State Parks and Poe Valley ranks pretty high on our top 5 list. If you're anywhere near this park, it's highly recommended. Poe Valley Dock Picture.jpg

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Since your exploring state parks. Come join us July 10-12, weekend at Black Moshannon. Rally. Not that far away

12. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

Might have to! We were at Black Moshannon State Park the last weekend of September. It's a nice little park.