PA State Parks - Price Increase 2021 - Over analization.

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by Old_Geezer, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I noticed PA has raised rates for 2021 from $15.00 per night to $15.25 per night. That will increase to $16.00 for 2022.

Doesn't sound like much until you think about it.

$15.25 per night.

If the campground is considered modern (most are), which means they have shower houses.
    Add $4.00
    $19.25

If its a weekend or holiday.
    Add $4.00
    $23.25

Electric Site, add $7.00
    $30.25

FHU? Water and Sewer. (You still pay the $4.00 fee for the modern / showerhouse even when on a FHU site)
    Add $13.00
    $43.00

In a pet section?, even if you don't have a pet..

Add $2.00
    $45.25

Don't forget the ressie fee..........................$6.50
    $51.25

Extra vehicle? Add $5.00 per night.

Interestingly the electric rate of $7.00 per night works out to $217.00 for a 31 day month.
    In the sticks and bricks the highest our electric bill has ever been has been @ $140.00 or $4.51 per day.

The $13.00 per night water and sewer rate works out to $403.00 per month, our stick and bricks is $45.00 sewer and about $30.00 water monthly or $2.41 per day.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I did notice a lot of the state parks there were in the process of putting in sewer hookups, that was pre covid though so never been up that way again. I figured it was to encourage the bigger rigs and figured they were going to charge a higher price for that particular loop. I never paid attention to the additional money for the dog section, that is interesting. It kind of makes since though if other dog owners don’t do their do diligence with their own dogs. It’s one of those things everyone is paying for the sins of others sadly. I’ve been to many campgrounds that have pay showers, $2.00 for 4 min or something ridiculous. Compared to that $4.00 is a bargain for a family. The nickel and Dimeing is crazy but in my mind mostly fair. You go to a private campground everyone seems to pay the same price even if you don’t use any of the extras. My little side kicks favorite campground (resort) is $75 to $80 a night. Everyone pays that price. Your paying for everything even if you don’t use it yourself. I’d rather pay extra for the stuff you use. Just my two cents.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Look at how much SP have increased the fees over the past 15 years. Many are around double the price.

Now with the demand 99+% for weekends and local campgrounds taking advanatage with price for the demand. State parks pricing always seems to indirectly related to private parks pricing. I think we are in for a shock on the pricing.

4. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Is there any dispersed camping on state game lands or is it too crowded? It's getting bad everywhere finding a somewhat private campsite. I think because of Covid more people are trying to camp that have no idea what it is all about.
    One thing about the new and first time campers. You will usually find them close to a road. That is where my 4x4 comes in handy. I can climb hills with a good road that few can follow.

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The PA prices seem a little high to me -- a FHU site in Kansas State Parks is $23 +/- a couple bucks depending on location. But $45 bucks is still a bargain over a decent hotel room. And in a hotel you don't normally get lakes, hiking trails, campfires in the evening, room for the kids to run around and have a good time, ability to cook your own meals and -- most of all -- fresh air.

6. Roqon

Roqon New Member

Lose the fancy rig and $15.25 is a bargain.
    Or if you can afford the fancy rig, appropriate TV (if not a MH), insurance & maintenance on both...

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you can afford the fancy rig, you can afford the higher price. [:D]

8. LizetMarc

LizetMarc New Member

We just paid $66/night at Little Bennet campground in MD. RV site, with electric and water. Firepit, picnic table, and the usual. Not a bad bathouse (2 showers), some nice trails throughout the park. Excellent staff! The young woman offered to help this old geezer to bring a few firewood bundles out to the van. At my age, she was stronger than I am. BUT! $66?

Luckily, no extra charges for anything besides the firewood or the laser tag park (if you're so inclined). Or pets, if they're the ones doing the driving for you (my dog loves to drive).

9. LizetMarc

LizetMarc New Member

Sorry for the multiple replies, I'm new to this site.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Paid $77 a night, January 2021, at Camp Gulf, in Destin Florida. Site 317- for short campers. Full hook up. Bathhouse was great- eight individual rooms (common entry hall) with toilet, sink, and shower.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Yep covid has it upside down. A small rual bank near my house has had 3 rv's in the parking lot that they repossessed. New saw rv rv out there before.

I stop by, they want dealer prices.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Most you have cheap prices.. been paying $50 per night for years..

13. SHFL

SHFL Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Now I understand why everyone is clamoring to Florida state parks.
    Here’s what $20/night gets you at one of the lesser known parks — but I’m not saying where…
    FC954EC4-DF70-4389-B0D3-26189B09832A.jpeg

Most state parks don’t have sewer, but the nightly rate varies from $16-$40 a night, with typical rates around $26-$32 a night.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

no - not really a reason for the influx at florida state parks - the two states north and south of PA (NY and Md) run around 25-30/night with electric, so don't have to go that far to get lower rates. its more likely the weather (snow birds).

15. SHFL

SHFL Active Member Silver Supporting Member

You got me on that one!
    Yeah, the weather and the beaches probably have something to do with it... :smiley:

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. Old_Geezer

They may be cheaper but I have not been back to a MD state park since they wanted to search my coolers when checking in to Deep Creek. WV is right down the road and no Gestapo. NY does not honor my PA carry permit so they're out too, and neither does MD as far as that goes. I don't need them and they certainly don't need me. A mutual understanding.

17. Old_Geezer

$50.00 Canadian? Or US?

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

CDN..
    Even with the exchange rate the overall cost of a week long trip is cheaper simply by us camping in NY State, PA, Ohio or just about anywhere South of the border...cheaper camping fees, cheaper gas, cheaper food...