PA turnpike towing

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by fritz_monroe, Mar 8, 2013.

1. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

You would have been fine with your tank on front of the popup through the PA tpk tunnels. Restrictions are for transporting bulk quantities.

2. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

I just did that trip last weekend. I-68 has some very steep grades (5-6%) that go on for a mile or more. I-79 has some as well. Make sure you TV can handle hills if you go that way.

3. Tribble

Tribble New Member

Epic thread resurrection!

I live on 79, we have hills. Once you hit Virginia, they are mountains.

The turnpike is Wonderful right now, i travel it every few months up to Pittsburgh.

4. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Google Earth is a COMPOSITE of images taken at different times over the past few years and then the best images are "stitched" together to create what you see in GE.
    That said, If you use GE to plot your trip, one of the neat features of GE is that you can watch the elevation profile of your path.

One GE gives you a set of directions, save it, and then right-click on that line. At the bottom of the selection list, you will see "Elevation Profile." Select that and watch as GE uses available height data, both actual survey or LIDAR data, to give you a reasonable estimation of your vertical challenges. As you zoom in, the detail for both the image and the profile increases too, into what you see on the screen. [SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]

5. Up the Mountain

Up the Mountain Member

Is there real time traffic on GE?
    I know that if you go to a site like Tomtom.com you can plan a trip and it will give you real time updates online. (Just use your Garmin to navigate on the road. [;)]

6. popupmurf

popupmurf New Member

I just towed ours this summer from Harrisburg West - Exit 242 to Valley Forge - Exit 326 and there was very minimal construction.
    It was a quick and painless drive but is it really twice as hard on the road to justify a double fee to drive the PA Turnpike while towing a PUP?

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

When ever we go that way, across I-70 we drop onto I-79 Washington PA, and across I-68 at Morgan Town WV and skip the TP. It's about 20 miles longer.

I don't like the TP, it seems the lanes are not as wide as the Interstate system and I hate getting off at Breeze Wood (gasoline alley)