PA Winter Rally at French Creek 1/13-15/2012

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Matt O, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

"Should I cover it up" has started to come up in the topics a few times as people start to put their pups away for the winter. That tells me it is time to start planning the:

Winter Rally at French Creek SP in PA. Martin Luther King weekend January 13, 2012 to January 15, 2012!!

2 other brave souls accompanied me last year at the 2011 WINTER RALLY. It would have been 3 but Steve got sick [:(O] Yes there was snow on the ground but the roads were dry. It was a beautiful winter weekend. Tracy and I went to the Shady Maple buffet for breakfast on Saturday morning. Yak went for a walk on the frozen lake in the afternoon and I kept myself busy (see the video). We had a nice fire to warm up by on Saturday night.

Who's with me this year?

Keeping warm in a PopUp

Interesting firestarters

2. CANTget RIGHT

CANTget RIGHT New Member

like last yr im there as long as it doesnt snow alot thats a 4 hr drive

3. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I'd like to, it's just too far to travel for a weekend camping in the snow, but if someone hosted one here in New Hampshire I'd be in.

4. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Didn't see this, I'm in!!!!!!!!

5. Matt O

Cant Get Right - As soon as I can find a weather forecast I'll be posting it.....When does the farmers Almanac come out?

Yak - I'm looking forward to camping with you again and hearing about your philly folk festival escapades.

NH Caveman - It is MLK weekend, make it a long one [:D] Actually I did pick this weekend just in case anyone wants to make it a long weekend, most kids are out of school. My school district has Friday off for a teachers training day and Monday for MLK.

6. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

It's still really too far even for a three day weekend I think but, I could maybe try this place here over the winter. Much closer to home, heated indoor swimming pool, hot tub, doesn't sound so shabby.
    http://www.meredithwoods.com/index.html

7. candleems

candleems Member

Sorry, we are out. That's ski season.

8. Matt O

Todd, maybe we'll go there in 2013. It looks like a nice place. I wouldn't mind jumping in a nice heated pool in January.

The family and I are camping next weekend and I told Lori I am going to put some foam under the bunkends this weekend to help keep her warm.....really it is for me for the January trip. Shhhh don't tell her [;)]

9. Ramsport59

Ramsport59 New Member

I'm gonna keep an eye on this. Not to far away, but weather is a concern. I'm sure they wont sell out spots lol.

Rick

10. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

I think everybody booked that week as it snowed the week before

11. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

If you do I'm in without a doubt, might even do it this winter myself, (I'm sure the woman wont go).

12. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Here's a trick I've recently come up with, Emily has had a couple of pool noodles in the popup for a while now and I found them to come in handy. Around the mattress it always seems like there is a draft, but I think that it's really just that when the cooler weather gets here the metal around the outside of the bunk end gets cold and makes it feel like a draft. So I have been sticking the pool noodles around the outside of the mattress and what a big difference it makes. In the past I have stuffed an extra blanket around there for the same reason.

13. Matt O

I have one pool noodle. I will have to see if I can steal...I mean borrow.... some from my niece and nephew.

Last year most booked closer to the actual weekend. I will probably book mine in December just so that we have an official "date" for the rally. There is not much threat of the campground being booked. Actually, French Creek lists Loop B open over the winter as well as Loop C. I would like to be in Loop B this winter to change it up a little. It seems like all the rallys are in the C Loop to accomodate pets. I don't think most people will bring their pets out in January. I know my dog will stay home. Plus Loop B has a renovated bathroom with nice tile floors and walls.

14. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

You are crazy! But this is only about an hour from us so I may try to convince my wife to go for it!

I added 1/2" foam board for under the air mattresses and got the furnace running before our trip to Leonard Harrison SP this past weekend. Hard to get away from the cold coming in around the 26 year old canvas but between the foam and the furnace we were probably too warm so I'd say we'd be fine for at least an overnight in January.

15. Matt O

I just added 1/2 inch foam to my pup as well. You can check out the video in the first post to see what I did to keep warm last year. I closed off one bunk with a moving blanket, had reflectix, and hung a blanket over to door. I have an extra piece of foam that I am thinking about how to use around/on the door to keep the heat in.

Kudos if you get your wife to go Spirdle. I won't even ask my wife. But if your wife won't go, can you come out to play without her?

[​IMG]

16. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

lol - that's the exact foam I used. I was using a packing blanket to protect the mattress from the bed frame but the foam makes the whole process a lot faster, looks better and is warmer. Downside was no way to grab the bed to pull it out and I probably should cut some channels for the metal frames. They are clearly getting pushed a bit into the foam when the camper is down. Added a 12V outlet inside as well so I can easily blow up the mattresses.

Actually it would be wife and young kids - which is probably considered child abuse and perhaps fellow camper abuse that time of year but yes I can come out and play even if she's not game. It's just a bit too early to make that call.

17. Matt O

Hmmm....I never thought about where I would grip the bunk to pull it out. I just put the foam in this weekend and closed it up so I haven't encountered that. I will have to remember to bring my razor so I can cut two 1 x 3 inch grab areas out of the foam when I go camping this weekend. I don't think that will compromise the insulation too much.

18. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I forgot to bring the razor....

I just grabbed the bars on the edges until it was far enough out that I could grab the bunk properly. It made enough of a difference that I'm considering putting some under the floor as well.

19. Matt O

I was planning on camping this weekend but it is supposed to rain where we were going to go, Frances Slocum SP. So I canceled it and I should have lost 1 nights deposit but I was slick and "modified" my reservation to the Winter Rally and only had to pay $10 to change it.

I booked site B40. I was in the B Loop a few weeks ago and it was nice. The bathrooms were recently redone and have nice tile. Plus all of the rallys at French Creek are in the C loop so I figured I would change it up. I don't expect most people will bring pets in January.

20. banjorules

banjorules Member

Keeping an eye on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.