packing advice for small refractor

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by leahdan, Jun 16, 2015.

1. leahdan

leahdan New Member

I have a small refractor that I desperately want to take camping! Sadly it did not come with any sort of case and camping with 2 kids and 2 dogs, I'm looking for easy and relatively safe ideas on how to bring it along. Ideally I'd love something that's quick and simple to unpack and repack as well as not being too large. I was thinking foam and a duffle bag, but it's an odd shape so I'd have to do some cutting of side pockets to get it to fit in.

Does anyone have any ideas for a DIY case that is camping approved?

2. capy235co

capy235co Member

Kaizen Foam. Google it. 2' x4' of 1 and a half inch. A big rubber maid type tote and you can be safe and know it will survive. I use this system for delicate electronics and know everything is safe.

3. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I don't know what it is called, but we have two or three aluminum suitcase type cases that we use for telescopes and lenses. They are a textured aluminum and are lined with scored grey foam that you create the best space for the object you want to carry. we take a small, 60mm televue scope in one of these cases, along with several eyepieces that work best with the scope. it protects it well and doesn't take up much space

4. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Definitely not a duffle bag, if you want it to still be aligned when you get to where you are going.
    Hard sided with foam similar to Penny and capy235co ideas.