Packing the PUP

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by HappyTraveler, Jul 14, 2019.

1. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned, we're long time tent campers, so have our gear pretty well streamlined and not a lot of extra stuff that we don't use. We kept most of the gear (lantern, propane bottles, liquid fuel, tablecloth&clips, paper plates, bowls, silverware, cooking utensils, coffee pot with filters tucked inside, a couple of pots (one is a pressure cooker), hot mitts&pads, cards&cribbage board, foil & two sizes of freezer zipper bags, dishwashing pan, wash cloth, towel & soap, laundry detergent (we usually go out for at least two weeks and are also gone for 6+ weeks in the winter), tent stakes and lines, and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting all in a blue tote. Nesting and ALL empty space are filled with something makes this possible. We also have a camp stove (that uses the liquid fuel) and sleeping bags, but they are not inside the tote. Not to mention the tent and huge tarp with poles we would bring in case of rain that lasted longer than a day. Oh, and the folding bed and air mattress. We aren't using these with the PUP, so don't need to pack them.
    Anyway, finally unpacked the blue tote and packed everything in the PUP.
    I can't believe how much room I have and there is TONS of space that's just empty.
    Working REALLY hard to not fill all that open space with crap. Really hard.

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

It is a needs vs. Wants dance. We did an 8 day trip. Everything fit in a duffle bag and one tote. Me and 2 kids. We didnt have anything we didnt need and didnt need anything we didnt have. Some people pack the entire house.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Take just what you might need, add on from there, remember you do have a load limit and storage area limit too. If I take something and do not use it after 2 trips, it goes into my "maybe one day" box and left at home. I also go by the old backpacker saying that everything (most anyway) that I carry needs to have at least 2 uses.

4. HappyTraveler

Totally agree about the needs vs. wants.
    We spent 3 weeks traveling around Europe when our kids were in middle school and high school. Each of us had only one backpack like those carried by school/college students. People thought we were nuts, but honestly, it's very nice to not have to haul a lot of stuff with us, and when we fly, our one backpack fits in the overhead compartment, so no checked bags. Quick and easy.

I guess I'm just surprised at how much empty space we have.

I do know we'll end up with a few more things that we never even thought about when tent camping and were staying in sites with no electric. For starters, we have two little electric fans in the camper, something we never had while tent camping.

5. JayGoCamper

JayGoCamper Member

I know what you mean, Happy Traveler. I still have cabinet space! But I can't quite fit the gravity chairs.

Did your fans come with your pup or did you buy them separately? I have a variety of small, rechargeable ones, but they aren't making much of a difference during the heat of the day.

6. HappyTraveler

Both are electric and one came with the camper (previous owner left it with the camper) and I bought the other electric. They work well, especially with the ac running. Haven't had the camper out camping yet, but have been working on it in the driveway; which is in full sun all day long. When we're camping, we typically are outdoors, so probably won't be in the camper much during the day, unless it's raining.

These are what we have:

Capture1.JPG

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I could go camping with just a sleeping bag and a three pack of underwear. If you have space bring things that you don't need but are fun. We bring everything but I set up a tent for storage so the camper isn't cluttered.

CheekyRunner and HappyTraveler like this.
  8. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

We were tent campers and felt the same way the first year.

Things we have bought that have proven to be worthwhile are electric ice machine, a kettle and a toaster. We were buying a bag of ice a day and with that we all would buy a treat and were spending $10 a day on "ice". Kettle is great for washing dishes and my kids could live on bagels. We don't always have an electric site but when we do we love these.

We have also bought nice camp chairs, a mat for outside the trailer and we bring a folding table which we store in the van.

In the space under the table we pack light items that are rarely used but useful, life jackets, small inflatable boat, floaties. We had our camper three years and opened a storage area under the couch and discovered a water jug, we had never needed the space and were surprised that it had something in it.

Enjoy

9. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

There was a list going around this site of "all the necessities for new PUP owners." It was comprehensive indeed. We bought basically everything on it and loaded up our PUP and totes to the max with everything from eye drops to electric tape and calamine to spare fuses. Three years later, we just cleaned off our PUP to move into our new TT. Most of that stuff is still in original packaging and whatever had an expiration date already came and went. What a waste of money and space. We hauled stuff we didn't even know we had. If the space in your totes, under cushions, in drawers and in cabinets isn't enough, then you probably have too much.

Pack what you think you will actually use. There is always a local grocer, mom & pop hardware store or convenience store around when you're in a bind.

Pommom70 and HappyTraveler like this.
  10. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Packing personal items isn't my problem. My problem is packing things for the camper. Coming from travel trailers for the last 11 years, I always had room in the campers for everything.

With my 2716G, the slide out takes most of the room, while the flip over galley takes most of the rest. I put my TV and Bluray player under the dinette table. The small open floor space between the slide out and front bunk, I put the microwave and fold up pantry and ward. I put food and other things that need to be checked or added to while folded down, in the cargo area next to the outside refrigerator. There is a large door to open from the outside to make easy access. I can put duffle bags inside entry door, in space between the slide out.

Being I have and use the indoor shower, water heater and toilet, I have to bring portable blue totes for the shower and kitchen sink. Then all the hoses to reach shared water spigot (if one is available), along with blue fresh water totes. Indoor water creates a lot of issues with storage for the accessories to make it work. Since I have a very young daughter that camps with me, just us 2, and we go to State Parks with just electric on site, we need indoor shower/toilet for her and me.

The rest of the stuff includes tent chairs, table for cooking, ground rug, fishing poles and tackle box, portable propane tanks and fire starters, screen house, and cooler for food (to much trouble popping up to use propane fridge). Hek, my truck's 5.5' bed is full without adding wood or anything else. I have to figure a way to cut down as this is just ridiculous.

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

All that empty space gets tempting and you start adding "we might want it" and "it'd be nice to have" items because you have the room.

The best way to counter this is to go through the camper once a year. Anything that was not used in the past year AND is not an emergency item (first aid, flares, tools, etc.) gets removed from the camper. Doing this once a year allows for seasonal equipment that only gets used under certain conditions.

Another trick is "it doesn't get added unless it has a permanent home. If you have to move it to set up or take down or use the bed or so on, then you can't add it to your supplies. If there is a place it can go where it will not be in the way or interefere with using the camper, then it can be added. And then it becomes subject to the "must be used within the past year" rule.

hayyward and HappyTraveler like this.
  12. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

We keep very little in the camper. Aside from our bedding, two extra sleeping bags and cooking utensils, pretty much everything else gets packed in the bed of our truck. Since we don't ever plan to camp with hook-ups, we don't take any appliances or big electronics with us. So, yes, we have lots of extra room in there.

Packing the truck is where the trick is for us. My partner is huge on taking way more water than we'll ever use, so we have 20 one gallon jugs in there to start with. Then we have our stove, lantern and extra propane (we never keep anything flammable inside the pop-up). Then two folding chairs and a table, 3 coolers, our grey water tote and EZ up canopy pretty much fill everything up in the canopy. When we go on longer trips, it requires a little more engineering to fit in larger bags with clothes. LOL

We've taken enough trips that we have it pretty much down to a science. And, as someone has said, if there is something we absolutely cannot live without, there are always stores on the way, so we don't really sweat it too much.

13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I too was amazed at how much extra space I had when we first got the Pup about 10 years ago. Somehow as time has gone by, that extra space seems to have disappeared. We are about to leave for 24 nights, so lots of stuff needs to come along for that length of a stay. Empty space is becoming prime real estate.

14. Bywater

Bywater New Member

Tent campers for 40 yrs. till last year.
    An empty popup is like an empty garage. It fills up then you start with " Do I really need this ?"

Orchid and HappyTraveler like this.
  15. HappyTraveler

I have to laugh, when we got the pup, we'd sit in there looking at the kitchen and the cupboards it had. I should add that those cupboards are random and non-uniform. That randomness had me thinking that they weren't very usable and figured my "kitchen" stuff would end up in one of the dinette seating storage. We finally got everything done inside that we wanted to before our trip and figured we should start moving in our tent camping bin where we kept all our camping gear for cooking, camping and setting up a tent. Obviously, the tent stakes and lines don't need to go since we won't usually use the tent (it's just the two of us now).
    Well, I was able to put ALL my kitchen things (paper plates and bowls, silverware, travel mugs for coffee, cooking utensils and can opener, a couple sauce pan sized pots (one is a pressure cooker) with lids, my small cast iron round griddle and fry pan (although, I do use my cast iron at home, so things will be moved back into the house while we're home), my drip coffee maker, electric kettle, coffee & filters. Under the sink my plastic dish washing pan and all the things for that, as well as my hot mitts & pads, two boxes of different sizes of zipper bags and heavy duty aluminum foil. There are still a couple of cupboards that are completely empty.
    Our other camping gear, some of which wasn't in our camping bin, should fit in the U-shaped slideout dinette. There are 3 storage areas, one under each bench seat. We've put the general camping things: the propane lantern, two bottles of propane for it, two burner coleman stove and a gallon can of coleman fuel for it. Two L.E.D. battery operated lanterns. That storage is only about half full. We will have to pack something in there to keep stuff from sliding around while driving. Thinking the bedding will fit in one of the storage area.
    DH wants to put our huge 120 qt Coleman Marine Xtreme in the area under the table, but the table won't fit down in the bed position with it there. Think it will lay on top of the cooler, but not sure yet. Will also have to make sure all the cushions that normally go on top of the table/bed will still fit on top and not interfere with the bunk ends sliding in. Oh, and the bathroom door sits on top of the cushions in the dinette.
    If this arrangement won't work with the cooler there, then may have to take the step that is next to the bathroom out, so the cooler can fit all the way against the back wall between the oven and the bathroom. Although, I do like having that big cooler over the wheels (it's a double axle) rather than at the back of the camper. And with the dinette pushed in, the cooler would be pretty much in the center of the camper.
    Last resort is to put the cooler in the TV with us. We will also have our one backpack each in the TV unless we can fit them in third dinette seating, but if the bedding (b/c sleeping bags are huge and all my pillows) needs more room, want it in the third bench storage.
    DH also has all the storage under the couch, which runs the full width of the front of the camper behind the two 20lbs/each propane tanks. He's got all the tools and things needed to set up the camper (chocks, levelers, hoses, regulators, slinks and all it's different attachments, etc.). He keeps his regular tools in the TV where they are always easy to get to.
    Anyway, for the most part, that's what we've got and what we're doing.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  16. HappyTraveler

We were also tent campers for 40+ years, so had to keep things minimal b/c it all had to fit in our van and still give us room to be comfortable traveling.

J Starsky likes this.
  17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Don't have any unused space. Probably have more than we need, but so far nothing is in the way. We don't have anything we don't use, but more of some things than we probably "need".

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Im working really hard on the opposite, i have more crap then space.

19. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Just got back from my trip and I just can't camp so cluttered. The 29' travel trailer bunkhouse really spoiled me as I had a full size bed to store stuff underneath with outside access, a front queen bed to store stuff underneath and to the sides of the front of the bed, with outside access. Also had storage under the sofa, dinette bench seats, all the upper cabinets and the bedroom wards and cabinets. I had every table, tent chair, fishing pole/tackle box, water jug, along with all the leveling and other camper stuff. I was spoiled!

I'm simply going to have to cut down on my fresh water and waste water stuff, and selectively decide what's needed for that campsite and wing it. I always bring extra for just in case but I don't have the room to do that now.

Heck, I had the back seat of the truck filled up with a duffle bag, groceries, water, pop, beer, tablet, and stuff. The only stuff open was my daughter's booster seat and the front seats.

I use to camp with the Starcraft 2406 with a 2008 Sport Trac and it's 4' bed and never ran out of storage space. My pack rat days have to end, just hard in deciding what to cut.

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yup, and more then likely the kid has a ton of stuff and such. I have to enforce more rules of what we can and can not take. I have a milk crate rule, clothes go into one crate. But then i give in, daughters do that, and let more stuff be taken. Most is unsused. And the toys........