Packing the PUP

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by HappyTraveler, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

So far, I can fit everything I need with the FnR. I've been selective in what I have, but I've included the bird cage, the cat crate (only used if I need to leave the cat inside alone with the dogs), the portable grey tank and several water containers.

My biggest issue is in the Durango. The very back has a couple quad chairs, hitch mirror, 12v cooler. The third row seat is Moose-dog's and I have leveling blocks on the floor. The middle seat is Bat-dog's and I have a couple blankets on one side. The middle floor has the bottle jacks, jump starter, air compressor, first aid kit, etc. The passenger seat has to work for Dog-bird in his backpack and The Cat in his carrier. The floor will hold my personal things, etc. Hopefully after a couple trips, I can fine tune things.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I LOVE that you travel with a cat! A couple of years ago we took our beloved Jack with us on our winter trip and he really enjoyed it and settled right in. A couple of places we were camped at (in Arizona no less!) got so cold over night that he actually got in the sleeping bag with us to stay warm. It was SO cold that his water dish froze over night. We moved further south until it got warm enough to not freeze. ;) Jack.JPG

Orchid, Sjm9911 and Toedtoes like this.
  3. Toedtoes

What a handsome Jack!

The Cat hasn't been camping yet. He just moved in a month ago. I left my prior cat home, but this guy is just too social to stay home alone. He has adjusted to his harnesses. And he is perfectly content in the campers. He is OK in the car but goes in a carrier due to the dogs. So now it's just a matter of actually going out camping with him. I found a 15ft cat tether that will work great for him in the trailer. I can attach it to the handle at the door and it's long enough for him to go inside all the way to the back wall and the bed or he can come out and sit under the awning with us.

Pommom70 and HappyTraveler like this.
  4. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Just got back from a trip and my camp neighbors brought their cat. It was unleashed and walking on top of their picnic table.

I was shocked because if it were out 'hunting' and they were ready to leave, what would you do. But maybe their cat had little interest in it's surrounding and was content to stay close to them.

I know I wouldn't want to chance it.

Orchid likes this.
  5. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

So true. We once camped at a place called Springerville in the White MTs of AZ. It was Memorial Day weekend. We left Mesa AZ it was 105 degrees. When we got to Springerville it was so cold the ground was still too frozen to drive our tent pegs in. They were old wooden ones and we broke a couple. We decided that was it, packed up and headed back to Mesa.

6. Toedtoes

I would NEVER let The Cat out without a leash. All it takes is one thing to startle the cat and it is gone. And in an unfamilar location, the cat may not be able to find it's way back.

That's why I like the tether. Even with the cat inside, there is a chance for him to get startled just as the door opens and he'd be gone. The tether will keep him safe all the time.

I also have ID tags on each harness. The black harness has the Durango and FnR plate numbers. The orange harness has the clipper plate number. And the blue harness has the Durango and clipper plate numbers. I use the black and orange harness according to what I take camping. The blue harness is his everyday harness for day trips. His yellow harness is an extra if one breaks - I will move the appropriate tag to it if needed. The dogs have the same ID tags and I switch them out accordingly (they are big enough I can use a quick release on the tag).

The cat will also travel in a carrier so he can't escape while on the road. And I have a folding cat crate that can hold his litter box, food, and pillow so I can contain him if necessary. And he is microchipped. I am not leaving anything to chance. He also knows his name and will answer vocally to it.

Dog-bird has his cage and he is never allowed out of it to sit on the handle perch. The door is closed and locked any time I go to move him between the cage and the backpack. In the clipper he travels in the cage and in the Durango he travels in the backpack. His backpack has the same ID tags just in case.

The dogs are on their leashes outside. And always have their collars on. The door doesn't get opened until their leashes are on. They are microchipped.

7. HappyTraveler

Yeah, Jack liked to be naked, so usually he was sans harness at home (never went outside). So would have to get him used to wearing his harness a couple of weeks before we left on our trip. Then in the van, we could unclip his leash and he could go wherever he wanted in the van. We had this whole procedure before we would open a door (SO afraid he might decide to rush out). So we'd park and call him and he always came (he really was more like a dog, honestly). We'd put his leash on and could then open the door.
    Years before, we would take him out in the yard with his harness and leash and that's when I learned I could not let him pull on the leash/harness at all, b/c he was able to back out of the harness. And I could only make the harness so tight and have it still be comfortable.
    Sadly, a month after we got back from that trip we found out he was riddled with cancer, so we lost him much too soon. Still miss that guy; he really was my constant companion.

1380ken and Toedtoes like this.
  8. MyName

MyName Active Member

@HappyTraveler
    So when do you start counting? When you start planning the trips, or when your parents took you as a kid?

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I count from as a kid.

10. HappyTraveler

Started camping when I was a kid and our parents took us; it's how we did all our family vacations all over the country. Then when I first got married, picked up a tent and some sleeping bags and told my husband we were going to Acadia NP over Labor Day Weekend, that was 4 days before we left and his first time ever camping.

11. Toedtoes

The Cat doesn't mind the harness at all. The leash is different... But we are now practicing daily - I bring him out on the front porch and hook his harness to the tether that is attached to the FnR. Then we sit out on the porch for a couple hours. He is getting used to being constrained by the tether. That helps with the leash also. He likes to lay on HIS chair and watch everything around him. I think he's going to transition to camping quite nicely.

12. BillyMc

13. Toedtoes

Interesting article. I did notice this statement:

“I’d say the only disadvantage there is to camping with Stash is that sometimes I can’t fully relax because I’m constantly making sure he hasn’t gotten too comfortable and wandered off into the woods,” said O’Rourke. “Even though he sticks around the truck and never has gone too far. I am slightly obsessed with my cat and, like a lot of pet owners, think of him as my child.”

Sounds like O'Rourke doesn't keep Stash on a leash.

HappyTraveler and BillyMc like this.
  14. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Just got back today from a tent-camping trip. Four weeks. We packed pretty much the same as we'd pack the pup, except the kitchen stuff went into the SUV, and the tent and cot were lashed to the roof. The thing I dislike most about my otherwise awesome hard-sided pup is the inability to access anything without setting it up, meaning that my tent-camping and pup-camping transportation is pretty much the same.

I got too busy this summer, but I still plan to gut the pup and make exterior, popped-down access a high-priority task for redesign. And, no, I'm not going to the dark side. I refuse to pay more than the value of a TT every year in storage costs.

15. BillyMc

I would dislike having to setup to access stuff as well. I can get to everything except one storage compartment though outside hatch or raising roof about an inch and crawling in under the bunks. I dislike not being able to get in that one compartment bad enough, but learned quickly what not to store in there.

16. Toedtoes

That's the one downside with my FnR - you have to raise the roof to access anything but one compartment. I carry all my tools, hoses, etc. in that compartment. I carry my leveling blocks, air compressor, jump starter, etc. in the Durango.

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Oh man Mike you sound like me 10 years ago flipping out about the flagstaff 625d. I’m not sure what I’m going to do once my wrecked pup goes to salvage yard or rebuild. I’ll probably just get a tt. My kids already asked me if I bought one yet. Get a chuck box for all cooking gear. Cut down blue totes to 2 with one gray and one fresh water. Ditch the microwave.

18. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

So did you get a 2007 R-Vision Trail Sport 26-QBS to camp with?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  19. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

All you guys with fancy compartments you can reach popped down.

And I'm over here like with the 2 x 2 space I can reach when I open the door. (Tool bag with the Jack, Crank Handle, Water Hose, and Bal Leveler goes there) That's it.

Toedtoes and HappyTraveler like this.
  20. HappyTraveler

We are 5 days into our first trip with the pup and aside from newbie pup mistakes, things are pretty good. We did our first REAL cooking last night, been keeping it simple while just doing 1 or 2 night layovers and have used 2 of the 3 cooking pots/pans; the 3rd is a round griddle. We have made coffee every morning and that is pretty well streamlined and everything for it fits in one cupboard. I did move all the pots/pans (which includes cast iron) to the one big drawer and there was room to put all the prepping and cooking utensils in with them. So back to having one completely empty cupboard.
    Another cupboard, which is at the very end of the kitchen counter and beside the oven is working out great as the place to keep the battery operated air pump for the airmattress on that rear bunk end. There's still plenty of room in there, so have stuck an extra roll or two of tp, since it's right across from the bathroom. Might also keep an extra roll of paper towels in there, too.
    the back of the U-shaped dinette seating is still only about 1/3 full, but that's ok.
    On one side of the U, I had put some of my canned goods for backup food, kind of my "pantry". Well, on our second day out, and I went and picked up some fresh food, we decided that since we aren't using the fridge, we might as well use that as our "pantry". So that emptied out the plastic milk create that held the stuff in the dinette section (so about 1/3 of it). I decided to put my genealogy research stuff in the create and still had room for my technology cables in there. So there's still 2/3 of that dinette side empty.
    On the third side of the dinette I put the battery operated laterns (2) and the two electric fans. I also have 3 of those special clip-on lights, one has a fan, that run off the dc power, so poked those in there. Then a friend gave us two of those single campfire irons for making melted sandwiches, etc. so they went in. I also had 4 1-gallon jugs of spring water (extra for our coffee), so they went in there. Lastly, my slideout/bunkend covers and their bungees got stored in there.
    There's still room in there, but didn't have anything else without a home....yet, so leaving it empty.
    Right now, the two of us only each have our backpack for clothes and we keep those on the front bunk end. I pull out my bathroom bag and just leave it next to it, makes it easier to grab and head to shower or to just brush my teeth.
    We did end up taking all the window curtains down to pack up on our last stop b/c the top struggled to close. So folded them up neatly and layed them in the most empty section of the dinette (what used to be the pantry).
    We put the 150 qt Xtreme cooler in the floor area of the dinette, which is a step up from the floor of the camper. After our first day on the road, we learned it needs to be "packed" in there so it can't tip/fall off of there in transit. Had some water slosh out of our ice containers, so that had to be cleaned up. So now we use our backpacks and a couple of sleeping bags to wedge it in there after we push the dinette in and hasn't fallen off since.
    All our pillows get packed in the bathroom, and so would our sleeping bags if they weren't holding the cooler in place.
    Lastly, we put our two folding chairs under the fold down couch on the floor, where they can slide around b/c there's nothing holding them in place. I put our deflated air mattress folded up on the floor between the oven and bathroom on top of the folded step ladder and our other bedding (sheets and blankets) on the folded down couch.

I have to say, a few of you have commented about having more usable access to the storage area and I have to agree. Would LOVE to be able to access the back of the U-shaped dinette since that's where I put our camp stove and propane lantern, etc. from our tent camping days.

We are REALLY enjoying this sweet pup and even with all the rain we've had so far and closing up in a downpour after our first night, we are happy we have it and are not in a tent. :)