Packing up before light to go home...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by lugoismad, Mar 23, 2014.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Took the family camping for the first time on friday night. Pop up is still in the garage getting painted, so we took the tent.

Woke up saturday morning at 5 am to find out the wife was super sick and the kids were hacking up a storm. Decided to pack it in and go home.

I tried to be as quiet as I could, and only used flash lights and kept my lantern on low while breaking camp.

I packed the van while the wife and kids got some more sleep, and left the tent for last, then the wife got up, put the kids (still asleep) in the van, we broke the tent down, and took off.

Anything else I should have done to keep from PO'ing anyone else?

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I am all for trying to be neighbor friendly, but in that situation if the wife and kids are sick, don't worry about the neighbors, just do what you have to do to keep them comfortable and safe and head on home. The neighbors will get over it. If I'm your neighbor and I see you doing that I am going to assume something has gone terribly wrong and you need to get out of there. In fact, I might have even offered to come over and help, that is till I found out you were harboring the plague, then I would have just left well enough alone and not been mad about the noise. [;)]

3. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Puking (unless alcohol related) and/or severe nausea trumps quite hours.

We dropped my pup last Friday starting at 7am due to work schedule after my DS used it for a week. His friends all wanted to talk about what we were doing while putting gear away. I looked at them and reminded them that there were neighbors (not real close, but still within earshot) and that we needed to clear camp and then they could chitchat. The fact that the camper was not empty and ready to crank down when I arrived to tow it home may have added to my demeanor. I am big stickler in trying to honor quite hours and let everyone else enjoy there time camping.

I would say you made every reasonable attempt to be courteous and if I was your neighbor, I would understand.

4. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Agreed, sometimes these things happen and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it. All you can do is be somewhat mindful of the neighbors. Do what you have to do to get your family home and comfortable.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did a great job, both in terms of trying to get your family home and in not disturbing other campers.

We have not had to break camp super early for health reasons, but on a few few occasions have had such a long travel day that we have needed to get up very early to leave. In that case, we have done as much as possible the night before and mostly did not need to speak as we finished in the morning. We are sometimes up before dawn while base camping too, in order to be on a trail at a reasonable hour. [This is routine for many people at Grand Canyon. Most of them are very good at breaking camp quietly, and I often don't even notice them until we see the empty site when leave the pup in the morning.]

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

You gotta do what you gotta do! If I was your neighbor I would totally understand the situation!

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

kitphantom said:
    That's an interesting point. Over the years I've heard many people in the morning who either didn't realize they needed to be quiet or didn't care (loud talking, multiple vehicle door slams, clanking and dropping equipment, etc.) and then there are the folks who tore down and left so silently that I never knew they were gone until I noticed their site was empty.

8. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

The very fact you were trying to be quiet would be more than enough for me. Even if you did wake me. As UT mentioned, people can be very noisy or very quiet. Nothing like listening to car doors slam a dozen or more times and shouting across the campsite to show the difference between considerate campers and a$$h*les.

9. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Same here... the fact you were dealing with a sick family, and you still show concern for your camping neighbors....

10. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did a great job! Hope the family is on the mend!!

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

This is a great lesson to all of us. Maybe we can try to think of this next time we experience something similar. Illness, family emergency, work emergency... and just be grateful we get to continue camping and sorry that the others have to pack up. Benefit of the doubt, right?

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

If we were camped next to you, and you started packing up due to emergency issues, Good chance we would say something to you!!!!
    "Anything we can do to help? "

13. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

You can usually tell who is trying to break camp quietly, and those who don't care or are clueless. I respect those who try to be quiet.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

14. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

When camping, I usually wake as the sun rises. I would have had coffee on, and would have offered you a cup. The nurse in me carries a well stocked first aid/medicine chest. DH on the other hand would have slept through it. We camp at a fishing resort, so mornings are hopping.

Don't feel guilty or have remorse. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

15. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

As others have said, you did just fine. You attempted to be as quiet as possible. It's not like you were just packing up to beat the traffic, you had a real reason to get out before quiet hours were over.

Unfortunately, it seems like there's more of the noisy ones than the quiet ones.

16. jhowe327

jhowe327 New Member

You mean like the ones who insist on setting their car alarms noisily in the night and then manage to set them off first thing in the morning?