Packing up during rain

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by ErinG, Sep 5, 2021.

1. ErinG

ErinG Member

Last week we got stuck in a downpour as we were packing in. By the time we got home we had tropical storm winds and rain for the next 3 days so we couldn't put her up. By the time we got her up we had mildew all in my (new ) drapes and everything was kind of damp. It was understandable considering the circumstances. So my question is 1) what's the best thing to do in that situation? I know with tropical storm issues we couldn't put it up but if it was just regular rain would w be better off putting it back up in the rain? 2) how do I get mildew out of my stuff?? Thanks y'all!!

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Always open back up as soon as possible. It’s better for it to stay up for a week in the rain than to stay closed for even a day wet. If it’s still raining when I get home I’ll pop it up as much as I can in the garage and pull out the canvas so it can dry. If it’s really wet I can move a couple things in the garage and fully pull out both bunks to really let it air out. One of the advantages of an 8’ pup.

3. ErinG

ErinG Member

Ok that's what I was thinking. In our case we couldn't just because not was too windy but normally it's not so intense.

Susan Premo and Allamakee County like this.
  4. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@ErinG ... if you're only talking about mildew on fabric [ie: your curtains] I'm not an expert ... BUT... my DW uses vinegar & baking soda in the washing machine to rid the clothes and towels of that "musty" [mildew] smell that didn't have to opportunity to get completely dry from a camping trip...

Hope that helps

Happy Trails!

Susan Premo likes this.
  5. ErinG

ErinG Member

That sounds promising since vinegar is what I'd use to clean mildew anywhere else!!

Susan Premo likes this.
  6. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Our last trip we had to pack up in the rain and it was still lightly raining when we got home, but i still set it up and left it up for a couple days till it dried out completely.

Alifoxx03 and Allamakee County like this.
  7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I ran an oscillating fan & pulled out anything that'll come out, pads/cushions etc & either sun dry or bring in the hooch where the ac dries 'em...I also kept one of these inside the camper...

images (4).jpg

Alifoxx03, Nick81 and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Thankfully we haven't had to deal with this yet, but always pop back up within the day, even if you have to set back up in the rain.

Closest thing we had was a dewy morning when coming back from a long trip where we stayed in a hotel the next evening. By the time we popped back up at home 2 days later we already had some mildew. Fortunately not too bad.

9. ErinG

ErinG Member

Thanks y'all! I know this certain occasion was unusual njust because we couldn't put her up with the high winds but I glad to know if it's just regular rain, we need to put her up. I'm sure my husband will think I'm crazy lol. Everything inside right now is good. I am washing the drapes in vinegar and seeing how that goes. Worst case scenario I buy new ones lol

Susan Premo and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I feel your pain. My camper is stored off site so setting her back up often isn’t until a week later when I can get back to the storage yard. Rain and wind are the biggest downside to packing up and even setting up a popup camper. Opening the camper as soon as you can is best but I find so long as it's not much more than 5 days later I can usually get by but everything is usually so wet and musty smelling then depending on temperature . Good luck getting everything dry and clean. I personally don’t dry the curtains but have thrown them in the wash and line dry.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  11. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

They make a "bucket" size of these. Maybe 1.5 gallons size or something. I agree they are worth leaving in there all of the time. You'd think to take it out before you left on a trip to save some space and not having it taking up floor space, but then you don't have it with you when you have to pack up in the rain. So, when I say "all of the time" that's how much ours was in there. ;)

12. Clemens

Clemens Member

My AC has a "DRY" feature. I set if for that when I fold the pup down. Then at home, I hook it up to the house current with a small timer. It comes on at 4 and stops at 4:30 AM. According to the power/light company that is the best time get rid of hunmidity. You should hook it up if you have water trapped and let it run for at least a day.

13. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

Our garage smells musty, my husband leaves some shirts, outdoor type, heavy out thete, I hate that musty odor, thanks for the vinegar and baking soda idea!

14. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

When I had canvas I did two different approaches:
    1) gigantic tarp over the trailer ---- kept it dry. But it was a huge tarp; friends referred to it as "the big top"
    2) open it as much as possible in the garage and blast it with fans

Rik Peery and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It's unusual, not impossible, for winds to remain too strong for a PUP to handle it for more than a day. We have ridden out storms stronger than I would have expected a PUP to handle. I never had a situation that I couldn't open the PUP when we got home or the next day. We are about to have a shed put up where we park the HTT to store it under.

Mark CASTELLANI and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I left mine up and went to work, had 60 mph sustained winds. Figured the camper would be totalled and in peices when i got home the next day. To my surprise it was fine and dry inside. They can take a beating.

tfischer, Mark CASTELLANI and BillyMc like this.