painting...brush or spray

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by 76 Valley Forge, Jun 7, 2011.

1. 76 Valley Forge

76 Valley Forge New Member

Was thinking about painting the old bird as it is looking real tired. Can you use a brush and still make the job look look semi professional or is spray paint a better option. My old coleman is in fantastic condition with no rust and has always been stored indoors. Any help would be appreciated.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I used a brush and a roller. Ours is textured metal, so doesn't look too bad, but spraying would probably be better if you have a place to do it and the equipment. The garage is workshop and storage so anything we do has to be done outside, some of the painting would have come out better in a sheltered place where it would have not dried instantly as it did in our climate and wind.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Spraying is the best alternative. With todays paints spraying is the best way to put them down. IMO if I was going to keep the unit I would use an expoy.
    If you do decide to paint....remember that the prep is 75% of the paint job. The more prep, the better the job

4. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Don't forget the pics, please! :)

5. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I don't have a sprayer so that wasn't an option for me. I used a roller on mine. It came out fine. I am not entering it into a car show so it doesn't need to look immaculate, just clean.

6. RV6A Pilot

RV6A Pilot New Member

I just repainted my rear bumper and some of the skirting with a brush and black simigloss black enamel. You can see the brush marks but since it is low to the ground it looks good at 3 feet :)

Dan

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

You can get about as sophisticated (and expensive) as want to get in the painting department. I re-painted the roof (aluminum) of my previous Starcraft and did the roller thing, brushing around the edges. Anyone would have been hard pressed to know that's how it was done. What's real important with any paint job is the prep and primer. You can use the best finish coat money can buy but it will not last long if the prep & primer are not right.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I know someone who painted his entire travel trailer with a cheap brush that his wife picked up at the grocery store. It turned out fantastic! I was shocked since I was under the impression that it had to be done with a sprayer. Since then, I've heard that enamel paint is difficult to use with a sprayer due to it's thickness. I'm going to avoid the hassle and use a brush.

9. 76 Valley Forge

I would be using just the spray paint cans you get at the hardware store so I'm still not sure. I leaning towards the brush and roller option. As far as prep goes, what is the best method of doing this? I was going to using my palm sander with some fine grit paper.

10. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Brush or Spray? I think that largely depends on the surface finish of your PUP. If it's smooth.. I would go with Spray.. but if like mine-- kind of an orange peel surface... I trimmed out the nooks and crannies with a brush then followed with 2-3 coats using a roller. I think it came out great. Be sure to PRIME... 2 coats went on mine, if you are going with a color for the top coat. Lowes/HD will tint your primer too at no charge-- it's easier to manage making sure that you have covered all areas when painting otherwise white primer on a white PUP... Good luck!

11. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

i used rust oleum pro series enamel. (oil based). rolled it on while using disposable brushes for nook/crannies. truned out great. if you go that route the only thing i recommend is that you dont try to run the roller dry. put it on thick. otherwise you get LOTS of tiny bubbles. i wouldnt hestitate to do it again. i tried a wagner style sprayer: no go. also tried an air sprayer from the compressor: no go again, but i should have thinned it and maybe then it would have worked.
    roller was just overall faster and easier.

12. 76 Valley Forge

Thanks for the info guys. The box is aluminium(smooth) and the top of the roof is rough and has what feels like rubber that comes down to the box. Do I need a different paint for that rubber section?

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If the roof section is rubber something that gives) yes you will need a different paint. A bumper paint, as it is flexable. With a hard paint and you have any flexing, the paint cracks.

14. Blondie2tx

Blondie2tx Coffee, bacon and the outdoors!!

Wow, this is great information! I am learning so much....I had no idea roller or brush painting would even be an option for my Palomino pup!!

15. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I just finished painting mine. I used Rustoleum Hammered finish paint. I used an electric HVLP paint gun.
    It HAD to be thinned, I started without thinning, the result was spackle. Once thinned it laid down beautifully. (And was QUICK).
    I did it outdoors, in the evening during the lower wind periods.

16. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

If the door is the same material. I would experiment on that first. A cheap spray gun say from Harbor freight wored well for me on several projects. The key is using a good paint that has a hardner in it that will hold up for a long time. Rattle cans are good for small areas, but you would use a lot of cans and $$$ trying to cover a PUP. Lots of options out there.

17. chumpshorty

chumpshorty Member

If you use a brush/roller there is a product called Penetrol that really works well for reducing brush marks. Penetrol is specifically for oil based paint, the latex version is called Flotrol (if I remember correctly). You add it to the paint and it helps it flow much better. Sometimes you can find it in the paint department at Lowe's or H.D., Sherwin Williams always has it. I'd also recommend that you don't skimp on brush or roller cover quality. A good brush makes all the difference in the world. And make sure you get a brush that is intended for the type paint you are using (ie latex or oil).

Having said all that...my vote is to spray it if you can. The cheap harbor freight guns are o.k. right out of the box. I don't bother cleaning them and reusing them though, they just don't hold up. Also, their spray pattern is more of a circle than a fan, so you have to be careful about your coverage...remember several light coats is better than one heavy coat. If you can get a brand name spray gun you should because it will be easier to use.

Whether you spray or brush, I have come to prefer oil based paint because I feel it is more forgiving. If you get ahead of yourself and put a second coat before the first is completely dry, the oil based will still dry. Latex coats don't amalgamate, they just stack on top of each other and the bottom coats never dry. Clean up is messy with oil based, but I think it is a fair trade off.

18. Cindy F

Cindy F New Member

I just used plain Rustoleum spray paint in a can with one of these that snap on top

[​IMG]

19. nukowch822

nukowch822 New Member

Was this application messy or mess-free? I like the idea of using spray paint cans too with that device!

20. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

with to days paint you should be able to roll it on with no problem. I did my aluminum boat last year and its still on looking good.I used oil base paint but I painted my garage door with latex and you don't see a roller marks anywhere ( just a bug who had to land in it then roll around) Get the rollers that have a fine nap or foam ones with no nap. Use a scotch brite pad and give the paint a little bite,scuff it up where you want to paint.Wipe it down with alcohol. Tape off any decals,trim etc. and have at it! when you do the top you need to paint fast, to keep a wet edge or you may see some roller marks later :)