Painting cabinets

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Cargs, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Cargs

Cargs New Member

We recently purchased an '03 Coleman Bayside which had a few minor exterior issues. We've got those in a good place, and now moving inside for a little renovation. Our plan is similar to many we've seen on this site (cabinets, counters, floors, curtains).

My question: since we plan on doing the cabinets first and later roll new flooring down over the old laminate, should we consider renting a paint sprayer to prime and paint the cabinets? If so, any detailed recommendations on paint, sprayers, method, etc would be appreciated.

I should also mention that a few years ago we repainted our kitchen cabinets by hand. But knowing the amount of time that took, and now having 3 small kids, our goal is to be as efficient as possible.

lynnmarie0123 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Im assuming you never used a paint sprayer before. Stick to hand painting. Quicker , cheaper and easiest, though not as nice.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Take it for what's it's worth my [2C]
    . I didn't paint my cabinets but I looked into it. Time consuming part is prepping the cabinets. Many of these cabinets are not stained but have like a wood texture vaneer type thing. Not too sure what it's called. So in order to get a good base you would have to scuff it up to first get your base coat solid. Otherwise it could chip later. I don't think it would matter too much how you actually paint it. Although I would probably paint by hand the actual base of the cabinets to ensure no paint gets on the canvas. The doors can be done outside the camper so a spray could work I would think.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

DW painted the cabinets in the house. She removed the doors, all the hardware, sanded all the surfaces (they were varnished originally I think), then put on a coat or two of Killz primer, then several coats of paint by brush and roller. They turned out pretty good, but we still have some chipping of paint on high use doors and drawers. Keep in mind they get way more use than your typical pup would.

I have thought about painting mine, but it is not a high priority item for me. If I did do it I would remove the doors/drawers, sand down the cabinet frames, tape it all off, and carefully paint by hand using small rollers and foam brushes.

5. Cargs

Cargs New Member

That's nearly exactly the process we used when re-painting our kitchen cabinets, with a similar result. Sounds like the sprayer may not be worth the extra effort (and investment)

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I just discovered a little trick with my kitchen cabinets in the house. They were a light oak varnish that had become dry and faded over the years. I really don't like painted cabinets, but didn't want to deal with refinishing, so I ended up getting a paint color that was similar to the shading in the wood grain. I figured it would be less "painted looking" than going with an actual color. Well, I decided to see how it would look, so started painting one door without sanding first.

The result was that the paint didn't cover the wood completely. Instead, it followed the grain and added some depth and brightness without losing the oak grain. The color I chose was Morrocan Spice (Behr) and brought out the warm tones of the oak.

I plan on doing the same in the clipper, choosing a cooler tone to deepen the dark oak eood tone.

7. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Active Member

If youre on instagram??? There are like 300 popup accounts literally and many of them show step by step how they painted their cabinets!!! Im Pokeythepopup on there!

8. Souper

Souper New Member

9. Souper

Souper New Member

My Husband Just finished painting the cabinets, walls and floor. It's still in the middle of Renovation. He even painted the refrigerator. Ours is a 2012 Ranger. Look at the floor, he even mixed his own colors, two coats of latex, floor and porch paint and stenciled the pattern! He used a tiny roller and some brush.
    I've made all kinds of fabric storage "pockets" . Next step is the table and countertops. We disconnected the water system.

Attached Files:

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Agreed. In the time it would take you tape everything off, you paint the whole thing with a brush and roller. Like all paint jobs, prep is the key.

Check to be sure what type of surface is on the cabinets now. Most have a veneer over particle board, but I've seen some that used contact paper.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Souper

Souper New Member

Now my husband replaced the counter and the table with our old dining room pine table.

Attached Files:

12. Tyl

Tyl Member

I've tried painting cabinets in place before and taping never seems to work out well. On my pup I removed the cabinets, broke down the pieces if needed, and spray painted them. Worked out great and looks factory finish.