Painting Exterior Vinyl

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by deanna.cardona23, Mar 26, 2017.

1. deanna.cardona23

deanna.cardona23 New Member

Hello all,
    We are making over our 2001 Viking, and I would love to change the color of the exterior green vinyl strip at the bottom of the canvas. Has anyone done this successfully? My husband is concerned with flaking or peeling off due to temperature changes throughout the year (Ohio), and just storage in general.
    I read a post recommending some kind of Bulldog adhesion product, and some others suggesting vinyl/fabric spray paint.
    We would rather do something tried and true rather than experiment.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If I understand.. you want to paint the lower stripe on your canvas ... Not sure it can be done with anything other then canvas..

3. deanna.cardona23

Thanks for your reply Snow,
    So, you are suggesting attaching a canvas material to the vinyl (I assume the bottom stripe is vinyl not canvas) rather than trying to paint it?
    Thanks again :)

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Your stripe is probably Sunbrella fabric like the rest of your material, so no won't be easy to dye another colour and paint will flake and look like crap.. Basically.. don't think you can change it's colour..

FYI .. even though your fabric is a vinyl based material it is still referred to as "canvas"

5. deanna.cardona23

Ok I guess we will coordinate our exterior remodel with the lovely green stripe! Thanks for your help! It is much appreciated!