Painting my aluminum roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by fourhallatts, Aug 2, 2016.

1. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

So I have searched through the forum for what kind of paint to use to paint my roof. Mostly I come up with everyone's rebuild and frankly there are just too many pages to comb through to find my answer. What would be my best option to get this done. I recently replaced the trim piece that goes down the middle of my roof and realized how dingy my roof looks (even after cleaning it). So if anyone has a particular paint that worked well for them please chime in!! I'm looking to get it done before the next camping season starts. Thanks in advance!!

2. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

If you are just painting, you can actually use rustoleum enamel and thin it with mineral spirits to roll it on. But if you have dings you want to fill, then the "paint" you want to use is grizzly grip. It is a roll on bed liner but it will fill in small dings better to make them not as noticeable. That product is also great at adding an extra layer of protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mau5_h3ad

mau5_h3ad Member

I just finished a roof rebuild and painted with henry enviro-white elastomeric coating. It's supposed to reflect a lot of sun and keep your roof significantly cooler. I used 1 gal with 2 coats on my 14 foot roof. Can't say how it hold up long term, but the can claims a 12 year warranty. I figured if it's good enough for patio roofs, it's good enough for me. You can pick it up at your local home depot or lowes for ~35/gal. I originally wanted to use koolseal as suggested by various members, but this was a locally available and less costly option for me. Good luck!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

I was considering the grizzly grip, I will have to look at it a little closer. I do like the idea of getting something local though so I will check out the elastomeric coating. Thanks for the advice!

5. travisma

travisma New Member

Like a previous poster, I used the white roof coating. Used to be called cool seal up north for mobile home roofs.

I scrubbed the roof first with a brush and some water, rinsed it off and let it dry overnight, next day wiped it down. I also slide the awning bag off.

I had previously caulked all the seams and they were still good.

I brushed the sealer on all of the seams first and let it dry up a little, then I rolled the remainder of the roof. I let it dry, then gave everything a second coat.

Has held up so far in the FL sun.

I would stay away from regular paint and use some sort of roof coating. I have read where people have used the spray/brush on plastic type truck bed liner material.

6. mau5_h3ad

mau5_h3ad Member

Travis, when did you apply this coating, rather how long has it been? Have you reapplied since the original coat? Also, habe you had any problems cleaning it? I've gotten some dirty fingerprints on mine and they're not very easy to clean off.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

7. LavaWeb

LavaWeb Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm looking at using the same coating on my pup, how has it held up over three years?