Painting the pup?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by browns, May 2, 2011.

1. browns

browns New Member

We are thinking about painting our '91 Coleman Columbia. Any advice on paint type and brand would be great as well as other advice. Thanks

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You may try a search and Im no expert, but when I start to paint mine this winter I am going to use Rustoleum marine paint. I have painted several boats with it and like how it lays down. Its a roll and tip process. No matter what you use, prep is 99% of how well the paint job will turn out. Plus my local Lowes sells it.

3. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

HI
    Ditto on the paint brand---- After priming 2 coats, I also used Rustoleum Oil-based paint using brushes for cutting in/trim and a roller applying 2 coats of Primer, 2-3 coats of Paint-- I also had the white primer tinted. I forget what brand of primer I used, but will be happy check for you.

I have some pics linked here if you want to check out the progress. Also, just some advice--- splurge on Frog Tape (Lowe's has it) -- that stuff is amazing. Overall it was pretty easy. I hope you post pics when you start-- it's fun to check out other projects.

Good Luck!

4. jasf

jasf New Member

I used the standard off the shelf Rustoluem from Lowes with good results. I knew better myself,but rushed the prep/primer steps. More important than the brand you choose. Came out real nice the 2nd time.

5. FredyAmy

FredyAmy New Member

My husband wants to customize pup by painting it black to match the color of his truck. He wants to add personalized decals. Any suggestions for the paint job?

6. mommabear

mommabear New Member

I used rust paint from Canadian Tire and brushed it on.

7. Heywoodja

Heywoodja New Member

Rusty rum with a menards sprayer hooked to my pancake compressor worked great.

8. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Last year I redid our old PUP, including a full paint job with custom graphics that I designed and painted on. Like any paint job, prep was a pain, but it wasnt too bad. I used Krylon Fusion paint and it turned out great. Heres the thread on the project...

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=35309.0

9. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

i just painted ours. rustoleum. 1 gal bucket from lowes.

removed all trim pcs, and fittings. they are painted a different color from the body

i removed all decals using "kutzit" from ace hardware (20 minutes).

then wire cup brush on entire surface to be painted to rough up current paint and loosen/remove grime loose stuff (1 hour)

double dose of TSP per instructions with scrub brush, this will clean and de-gloss existing paint. (30 min)

dry time......then prime with rustoleum (1 hour, 2 coats)

paint with rollers and trim brush for small spots (30 min per coat)

decals...havent decided on who to get them from. i used google and searched for decals vinyl stickers. lots to choose from.
    i will be using a 30"x120" design...cost looks to be from $150-300 depending....

make sure you wait a couple months after paint before decals to allow paint to fully cure otherwise the decal/sticker can affect the paint. (according to LOTS of auto painters ive talked to)

start on wed/thurs and be done sun nite easily including all dry times.