Painting the Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Samantha Pass, Jun 19, 2019.

Which option would you go with?

1. Cheaper elastometric roof coating

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. More expensive silicone roof coating

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Samantha Pass

Samantha Pass New Member

Hi everyone!

My husband and I just purchased our first camper almost 2 weeks ago. It's a 1994 Jayco 1006. It's in pretty good condition for its age but we are having a small leak from somewhere (possibly where an AC was added but we're taking that apart this weekend with my family who owns an HVAC company this weekend). While we're going to have the unit off this weekend they suggested painting/sealing the roof. We've looked a couple of options. Seems like some people are skipping the expensive roof sealers made specifically for RVs and using an elastometric roof coating that is much cheaper. I was wondering if anyone here has experience in using this. It is around $25 vs $75+ for the RV specific stuff so I'd definitely like to use it if I can!

Here are a couple links on what we've looked at:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK...Roof-Coating-10-Year-Limited-Warranty/3013308

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0...e-Elastomeric-Roof-Coating-HE587146/202091035

https://www.amazon.com/KST063600-16...rds=kool+seal&qid=1560966991&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks for your help!

chemille30 likes this.
  2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Check the four retaining bolts for the A/C; they should be tight. Sometimes they work loose. However if you are taking the A/C off to coat the roof, replace the seal around the A/C hole.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

Just as a heads up, elastomeric roof sealer is a temporary fix. If you are planning on keeping the pop up long term I would advise against it as it is a pain to remove and increases the weight of the roof, which leads to sagging, which leads to cracks and leaks. Of course I’m a jaded guy who just spent 12 hours stripping that stuff off of a pop up that had a roof that was completely waterlogged

Now if you are just looking for one or two seasons I’d say go cheap, but remember that surface preparation is important so you get a good bond. Also, make sure you patch any holes and cracks prior to applying it. The elastomeric won’t have enough structure to fill holes.

4. Samantha Pass

Samantha Pass New Member

Those actually were loose and my brother tightened them which fixed one leak but it still seems to be leaking from somewhere else. Hopefully we’ll know more when we take it off.

5. Samantha Pass

Samantha Pass New Member

Yikes! I definitely don’t want to make it heavier and water logged!! What do you recommend using? I saw one that was 100% silicone that seemed to be for RVs but not sure what’s best for a pop up since structurally it’s a bit different than other RVs.

6. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Heavier? It can’t be any heavier than the one gallon can of the stuff that I used to put on 3 coats, can it? There are an awful lot of people on this forum who use the elastomeric and report good history. I did mine this Spring, so too early to tell how it will hold up.

As others have said, it is all in the prep work. If the interior foam core is already water logged or has any water, then just sealing the top won’t ensure there is no problem.

I am sure that it is a PITA to remove the coating too! :(

7. Samantha Pass

Samantha Pass New Member

That makes sense that there would already be water in there since there’s already leaks. Did you coat yours prior to experiencing any leaks?

8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Cool Seal & Grizzly Grip would be the top choice roof coatings . Don't forget a new gasket for that A/C unit , should be replaced every 6 or so years . Good Luck

9. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I'm a firm believer of 'you get what you pay for'. I don't cheap out on automotive parts, plumbing faucets etc. A $50 savings could possibly turn into eventual seepage or leaks which would be a huge PITA to repair not to mention more $$$. I buy all my sealants for my pup from an RV dealer.....it's what they specialize in.

theseus and bols2Dawall like this.
  10. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Time will tell. ;)

11. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

I’ve got Grizzly Grip sitting in a box waiting for me when I finish my core rebuild. Hopefully painting it on this weekend or Monday.

12. PictishWolf

PictishWolf New Member

I would love to use Grizzly Grip, but I don't think I can.
    1. Expensive (I think around $200?).
    2. Once ordered, you're on a time crunch to use it (no shelf life).
    3. I don't have a garage so I'm dependent on good weather coinciding with time off (which is iffy when on a time crunch due to no shelf life).

Considering those limitations, what would be my best options for coating the roof? It's aluminum (no fiberglass) and it has some hail dents, so maybe pinholes, but I don't think it's too bad. I don't ever want to fix the roof again, but I'm also on a very limited budget.

Samantha Pass likes this.
  13. Samantha Pass

Samantha Pass New Member

Looks like Kool Seal is elastomeric as well. I think they have another product called rubber roof. I’ve also seen some that are silicone but not in this brand. Which is best for a pop up roof? Elastomeric, rubber roof, or silicone? Or is there another I don’t know about.

PictishWolf likes this.
  14. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

or just paint it

15. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

When I thought I was buying an aluminum roof my plan was to epoxy with West G/flex 650 and glass mat over the holes to seal and then just hit it with Rustoleum paint

PictishWolf likes this.
  16. PictishWolf

PictishWolf New Member

Thanks! I'll look into that.

17. PictishWolf

PictishWolf New Member

Interesting stuff. It's hard to tell because I don't know how much of it I'd need, but it looks like it might be a little cheaper than Grizzly Grip (assuming I'd need about the same amount, 1 gallon). Maybe a better choice for me, too, since it doesn't come premixed. If I bought it and couldn't use it right away, as long as I haven't already mixed the hardener in, it'd be shelf stable for a while. I'll email the company to see if they can help me figure out how much I would need to buy.

I noticed something weird about it, though. The instructions say to mix epoxy & hardener in equal portions, but they don't seem to sell the hardener in the same size containers as the epoxy. In fact, they sell bundles that include both, but the container of epoxy is like 5x as big as the hardener. ???

18. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

Actually, I would’ve used the Gflex to repair puncture spots, not to coat the entire top. Give West Systems a call, their technical support is top notch and they are happy to discuss your project.

PictishWolf likes this.
  19. PictishWolf

PictishWolf New Member

Ah. I'd rather coat the whole roof so I know for sure that it's watertight. I emailed them. Hopefully, I'll hear back soon and go from there. I also requested a quote from Grizzly Grip and they said I could do it for $166 including shipping. That still seems kind of pricey to me, but if it's as good as everyone says it is, it might be worth it. Hmm. IDK.

20. PictishWolf

PictishWolf New Member

@jeremyindenver I got the response from West Systems. To coat the entire roof, they said I'd need 3 of the 32oz kits, which would come to about $215, according to their price list. Retail is a tiny bit cheaper, $204 on Amazon. I'm thinking about getting the 8oz kit and just fixing the holes with fiberglass mat if needed like you were planning to do. I'm kind of worried about adding too much weight by painting it with elastomeric coating every few years. The main problem with this plan is that I don't know if there are pinholes that I don't know about. Maybe I should put a dab in each hail dent, just to be sure?