Painting the Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Samantha Pass, Jun 19, 2019.

Which option would you go with?

1. Cheaper elastometric roof coating

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. More expensive silicone roof coating

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

Sounds like cheap insurance to me

PictishWolf likes this.
  2. chemille30

chemille30 New Member

Good product. I use BEHR Gal. #RP-32 Black Slate Flat Multi-Surface Exterior Roof Paint for my own house roof.

3. MisterKlister

MisterKlister New Member

Hi there,
    I’ve got an Alumitite roof that I drilled a couple hole thru from the ceiling when I was replacing the ceiling panels (oops) and am in the process of tearing off roof rails, etc then repainting.
    With the epoxy/fiberglass mat option you suggested, do you just put down some epoxy, piece of glass mat, then some epoxy over the top? They’re 3/16” holes so I don’t need much. Had debated just using some eternabond over the top but didn’t know how painting that stuff would be. Would like something a little more polished looking if I can do it. Wasn’t sure if I should paint the roof before or after I put the eternabond over the seams that were under the roof racks.
    Thanks!!

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

Samantha, PictishWolf,
    Please report back what you ended up using to paint/seal your roof and how it turned out.

I was considering using Henry Tropi-Cool, but now noticing it is silicone vs. Acrylic. (Black-Jack Elasto-Cool 1000 is also "siliconized") When re-sealing the outside edges of the roof I learned to NEVER use silicone caulk and had to remove and thoroughly clean all remnants of PO's use of silicone caulk.
    If you use a silicone based elastomeric paint, are you then not able to use acrylic Dicor (or acrylic anything) for resealing edges and around vent (anywhere silicone 'paint' was applied)?

Acrylic (Non Silicone) alternatives:
    Henry Dura Brite 587 Elastomeric roof coating, Home Depot $24.97/ .9 gal

Kool Seal Elastomeric KST063-600, (Amazon unavailable right now) Walmart, $45 ($29.44 + $15.77 shpg)

I have already sealed the visible holes with Dicor lap sealant and now want to seal ant undetectable pin holes from water intrusion BEFORE I repair the interior ceiling. ;)
    https://smile.amazon.com/Dicor-501L...t&qid=1575059924&sprefix=dicor,aps,324&sr=8-1

5. PictishWolf

PictishWolf New Member

I ended up buying a gallon of Ames Maximum Stretch ( https://www.amesresearch.com/product/maximum-stretch-liquid-rubber-reflective-roof-coating/ ) because it claims 98% reflectance and has a 12 year warranty, IIRC. Unfortunately I was unable to apply it before it got too cold, so I'll be doing it in the spring. I contacted the mfr and asked about the shelf life of it and they said, "It'll be fine for years as long as you haven't broken the seal and don't let it freeze." It kinda sucks cuz I had it all prepped and ready to coat, including sealing it very well with Dicor non-self-leveling lap sealant. I really like that stuff, BTW. It's really easy to work with.

Sorry I can't be more help. I'll update this thread with how it went in the spring unless we get a weird heat wave this winter and I manage to do it sooner.

6. davekro

davekro Active Member

Like you I think I’ll be putting off painting the roof until warmer weather. Bummed that I missed a window of time before a few winter camp trips.

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I think the last thing I’d try to go cheap on is a roof sealant product. Water is the most destructive thing to a camper. For $50 more it’s not even a question.

8. davekro

davekro Active Member

I don't understand "What (product) is not even a question?" Personally I'm not concerned between $25 or $50 or even $100 for an effective, waterproof and cleanable roof surface. To justify $400, I'd have to hear how that was 4 times better then the $100 treatment, but it is not out of the running.

I have heard good things about the 'Siliconized' paints (like Henry Tropicool ), but I need to know if Dicor sealant will stick to that 'Siliconized' paint. Dicor obstructions specifically say to clean all old 'silicone caulk' completely Or the dicor will not stick.

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

The OP said one was $25 and the other $75 and they wanted to use the cheaper if they could. My point was sealing the roof was very important and not worth saving $50

10. davekro

davekro Active Member

Anyone have experience with 1/2" vs. 1" nap rollers in painting their roof or applying other similar thick paints to any surface?

The can says to use a 1/2 - 1" nap roller. I bought 1/2". The HomeDepot paint guy said a regular 3/8" roller would not apply the paint thick enough. I don't really have a feel for 1/2" vs. 1" nap rollers never having used them and also not used such thick 'paint'. I purchased 1 gallon of Henry Tropi-Cool. It says it can be applied between 35º - 120ºF. I'll wait for a 60-65º day to apply sometime in the next few weeks hopefully.

My new Fan-Tastic vent/ roof fan https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027XAN78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 will arrive this week, so I'll install/seal with Butyl seal tape https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07663NFZZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and Dicor Lap sealant https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRF7QE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Even though this Dicor is self leveling, it does stay in place for the ≈10" vertical roof ends and a horizontal seam under the roof side aluminum extrusion. I was applying in ≈ 60ºF temp., so that may have helped vs. applying in 95º or in direct sun on a 'warm' day.