Palomino Owners

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by pej, May 18, 2014.

1. SMcKae

SMcKae New Member

Hey everyone!
    Boyfriend and I purchased a 2008 Palomino Yearling 4102 from a friend of a friend last summer. We both grew up tent camping, and this is our first pop up. So far we love it! It's a great size for us and our 25lb rescue mutt.
    We live in southeastern Mass, and currently have a Jeep Wrangler to tow with, so we haven't ventured too far from home yet.

Does anyone happen to have a specific owners manual for this pop up? I have the generic one, but we'd love to be able to make a copy of a specific one if someone has one.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Only going to find the generic manual.. you should be able to download one from Palomino website. .

3. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

We have a 2009 palomino y series model 4102. We just came back from our first camping trip and we had no lights at all the three days we were gone. All wiring looked fine, no blown fuses in the converter, battery fully charged. When we arrived at campground, we tried lights and nothing. Not sure if you have to plug in to generator but the battery was so hot. Tried compressing the light signal knobs that get depressed when the sink is down and no lights. So I need help too. Let me know what you learn. Keep the faith!

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Most likely a dead short somewhere, although a fuse should blow in that case. Possibly reversed polarity?

5. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

What is reversed polarity? If it's th battery hookup, we have red as positive and our negative wire iswhite. Wondering if there's something else. We just set up camp (non-electric site) and didn't plug in anything. Just thought with a chargedcbattery, all we would have to do is turn on lights. When we plugged camper into house, everything works great. We are doing something wrong with that new battery I guess. HELP

AnneOfOhio likes this.
  6. AnneOfOhio

AnneOfOhio New Member

Hi All,
    We have 2007 Palomino Pony 2100. Bought it new in 2006. It has been great over the last nearly 13 years. I will say the cool box, hot water heater, electrical, and power crank have been hassles in recent years. We are definitely believers on buying used and completely overhauling now. Although there are a lot of headaches with owning a pop up, it is much nicer then a tent! Happy Camping!

7. tfischer

Didn't know they made the Pony 2100 with hot water, that's cool. Ours doesn't have power crank either.

8. AnneOfOhio

AnneOfOhio New Member

the hot water never worked, we finally yanked it out this year and are replacing it with an on demand system. The power crank killed the battery every time we camped and eventually burnt up, at $400 to replace, I put in a manual crank.

9. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Well we just returned from a three night trip. This time, we had lights! This was our 2nd time with our NTU 2009 Palomino y series. We were dry camping and couldn't fill our fresh water tank because the dealer sold it to us in perfect condition, so he said, but our first trip found us dealing with a seven inch crack. Nice. Will have to do something. Although we had lights, the electric 120 wall outlets would not work. Not sure why. But we had lights anyway. Happy camping from Lake Placid, NY. Any palomino advise is welcomed.

10. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

It turned out to be a fuse and we
    had lights! We could not use the electrical outlets inside though for some reason.

11. tfischer

Outlets will never work when on battery power only.

12. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Then I guess I would have to be running generator or p,hugged in to a full service site? Thanks for reply

13. pej

pej Member

My next door neighbor just bought a 2006 Yearling. It is in very good condition. He asked me to come over and teach him how to set it up for the first time. I had lots of fun. I replaced the battery fuse holder(melted) and ground connection, tested the converter to confirm charging, worked on the door brackets, replaced bulbs with LEDs (I had lots of extras), fixed outside light, and other minor stuff. That was information overload for the first day.

Next we will test fridge modes and furnace; flush the water system and test for leaks on pump and city side and show him how to operate that stuff. The roof vent fan is not operational so we'll trace that (fuse ok). Finally, wire his TV for brakes, charge and fridge power, and 7pin;
    His dad picked it up one day and delivered it after repacking the bearings and replacing the tires. Unfortunately he purchased C rated so their max max load rating has dropped to 2400lbs. I'll suggest that he go to a DOT weigh scales and see how close it is.
    I'm like a kid in a candy shop. I want their first camping experience to be as successful as possible with their young children.

14. pej

pej Member

That is correct. The battery only operates the 12 volt trailer items such as lights, CO detector, water tank pump, furnace fan and ignitor, roof fan, and radio if equipped. While your fridge might have a 12volt mode, that is intended for use off the tow vehicle (TV) while driving. Any attempt to run run the fridge off the trailer's battery would drain it in about 5 to 7 hours :-(. Use the fridge propane mode when at a non serviced camp site.
    If camping at non serviced sites for more than a weekend then you will have to recharge your trailer's battery. This can be done through the TV if you are travelling every couple of days or with a good sized solar panel.

Enjoy the new unit.

15. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

We too purchased a 2009 Palomino y series, model 4102 this spring. Picture below. After finally getting things okay, we still have door issues and one goof corner never going completely door until we give up and drive home. Suddenly it's for and we pull over to latch it up. Crazy but we just finished our second trip and have plsnned more anyway. The floor is a real pain. Would love help on that.

16. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

I guess this is the right place to start off with some questions ;)
    We just bought a mid 90s Palomino Stallion (specific year unknown, but likely a '94-'96). It definitely needs work to be ready for us to be able to camp the whole family in it, but this is our first foray into PUPs, even though we've spent years tent camping.

...First things first though. We bought it with a Bill of sale (from a local tow yard), but the data tag/VIN is going to make the registration a LOT easier (though still possible w/o). Anybody have any idea on where to find it? It may no longer be attached (who knows?), but if I know where to look, I can determine for sure that's it's not here any longer, and proceed ...

17. tfischer

Not sure when they started doing this, but my 2005 Palomino has the VIN handwritten on the A-frame of the tongue in large characters. There's also a sticker on the side with the VIN, GVWR, etc.

18. Debcom

Debcom New Member

Hi, we are the owners of a 2005 palamino Yearling 4124, its our 3rd year and we are now having issues with the power winch...it only raises a couple of inches at a time and quickly kills the battery. We just came back from a 4 day trip and it took us over an hour to get it raised....any suggestions on what to do/check? Battery has been tested and is OK.

19. pej

pej Member

I have been away from the forum...did you get it figured out? I have a guess. I assume the roof lowered easily.
    The reason it kept stopping is because the winch is likely connected to the battery with a circuit breaker (not a fuse) that automatically resets after it cools down. The breaker trips because the winch is demanding too much power. That would be caused by the roof being harder to lift up.

Have you added weight to the roof such as a bike rack or solar panels? If not, then I recommend you grease your lift system. Ours has two grease points on the main lift tube located under the trailer. The three year old grease has thickened up and the metal lift system is binding.

Finally, do you have a hand crank that can be used to lift the roof manually?