Palomino Owners

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by pej, May 18, 2014.

1. leof

leof Member

We have a 2005 Yearling that we purchased new.

Ours has the slide out dinette (although its nice to get the extra floor space it is more trouble than anything else), heat, ac, and 3-way fridge.

The split door never stays latched and the frame is always off even when spot on level.
    The slide out remains about 1/4 open at the top. Been that way since day one and neither the dealer nor mfg could fix or recommend a fix and the side supports that roll with the frame tend to stick. We just deal with it.

I had to rebuild the roof on ours and after tearing things apart I am amazed at how cheaply these things are made.

Overall we have good times with it but I would never buy one again, at least not brand new.

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I also have a 2005 (Pony) and wouldn't think that the roof is ready for a rebuild yet... gah! Any idea what went wrong with yours, so I can try to avoid it?

I think they go out of their way to build these "light", which also ends up being cheap. I see people here mention how cheap things are, then replace them with solid wood adding 300 pounds to the floor or roof or whatever. Those pounds are a big deal for people like me that pull with a minivan.

I saw a video on how these are made, and some brands even put foam inside the countertops to cut weight.

3. Kawartha-Camper

Kawartha-Camper New Member

We own a 06 yearling 4100 and we love it , no problems so far

Attached Files:

4. leof

leof Member

Long story short, loaned it to a relative, received 11 months later and combination of him putting away wet and not checking the caulking / seal leaving uncovered destroyed the roof side boards.

Lesson learned.

5. deaandleah

deaandleah New Member

We have recently bought a 2000 Palomino Yearling RL. anyone out there have a users manual for this model & year?

6. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Did you peruse the Owner's Manuals section?? There are MANY manuals posted.

Good luck!

[:D]

7. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

We have a 2008 Palomino Y4102 that was purchased in 2013 as a replacement to our 2007 unit that was totaled in wind storm at our camping spot in 2011. It has a 10 foot box with a gaucho bed/couch combo, a 3 burner indoor/outdoor stove with accessory shelf, and the storage trunk at the front. We like this model so much, this is the second one we have purchased, and we had to drive 5 hours to purchase it in Alberta.
    My only complaint about it is the way that the door is secured in the set up position by those cheap plastic clips mounted on the frame. There has got to be a better way to do this. The newer models have a different winch setup so that you can use a drill to raise the roof, that is one mod I would like to do if its possible. Aside from minor repairs, we have not had to do much work on it, I replaced the tires last year, and will probably get a new battery for it in the spring. We love the size of this trailer and look forward to using it more in the years to come.

Attached Files:

8. edh

edh Active Member

Just wanted to join the list of Palomino owners here, have a 1985 hard-side, labelled as a Colt XL (though the size of mine conflicts with what NADA lists for an '85 colt, so I'm not really sure about the model.

If there are other owners of older hard sides (the ones with the external lift arms) out there please PM me as I have a favor to ask about getting some info from your spec's tag on the camper box. Thanks.

9. deaandleah

deaandleah New Member

Yes, Rotnmom, I did check the 'Manuals' section first. The ones closest to my year 1997 and then 2005. With the advancements that these things (and everything else these days) go through every year I was hoping to find someone with the same trailer & year.

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Cool beans! Sometimes folks don't even notice the links up top, so I was just mentioning it.[emoji6]

Good luck!!

[emoji1]

Smartphone grammar SUCKS!!

11. missjol3

missjol3 New Member

I have a 1996 Palomino TXL Hardsided camper. No real big issues with it other than the lift system broke yesterday and I can't find a manual for it. I have no mildew, no stains, no rips - wait maybe I shouldn't say anything I could jinx myself [;)]

12. rajncajn

rajncajn New Member

I have a 1985 fold a wall MXL. In the midst of rehabbing. Frustrated because it's not 'square'. Whoever did the original rebuild really gutted it and didn't square it up when they finished... YAY

13. edh

edh Active Member

Bummer. I am glad I checked my box's diagonal measurements when I tore it down so it will be the same when I put it back together. I am the first one to molest mine in a major way so will be sure to square it. Seems like a basic thing to do, imagine an out of square box could make opening and closing it more difficult.

14. deaandleah

deaandleah New Member

Manual found....thankyou

15. lbrygoddess

lbrygoddess Member

Just seeing this thread! We have a 1985 Palomino Pony named Daisy. We haven't had many issues with her, but did replace the springs on one end in the lift arms. Sometimes the door swings open when you walk from one end to the other. We recently removed the little kitchen (the faucet had broken anyway) and turned it into an expanded bed on that end. We added two large cushions and a piece of plywood over the cabinet where the kitchen was, and now we have a king size bed on one end! My husband is 6' tall, and the camper is only 6' wide, so there wasn't enough room for him to sleep (original beds were two full size beds). We just cook on a camp stove and set up an outdoor kitchen. The bunk curtains are long gone, as are however they were attached, but I made some new ones and just sewed plastic pony beads to ribbons along the top, and slid them into place. The canvas is original and only has one patched spot.

We do get dampness in the bunk corners during a rain--something to do with the way they ends go down over the plywood, I think? We've sealed all our seams but haven't tried to do anything about that yet.

Happy to see a few more Palomino owners here!

Heather Burns likes this.
  16. virtualjeff

virtualjeff New Member

Purchased a 1995 Palomino Filly-RG, w/ furnace, stove, toilet, sink (manual pump), 3-way fridge (doesn't get very cold), and ice box (not sure if I will use this). It's in excellent condition, just needed some cleaning and caulking. Working on updating the inside now. Can't wait to take it out!

17. LoriS

LoriS New Member

Hi everyone.. another new Palomino owner here. Recently purchased an '88 MXL and took it on a first trip last weekend. It was Awesome! So easy to put up and take down! I am the 3rd owner and this trailer is in excellent condition.. the fridge, stove and built-in cooler have never been used, all upholstery is like brand new but original! About the only thing that needs to be replaced is the Velcro on the canvas as it doesn't attach firmly anymore. But I love this trailer! Question, does anyone know if the refrigerator can be used with plug in only? It didn't seem to get cool but I now realize that I may not have given it enough time. There is a lot I need to learn about this trailer! Any info that can be shared is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to many many camping trips with my Palomino! [{:)] [PU]

LoriS
    '88 MXL/02 Jeep Liberty

18. R00

R00 Active Member

The Velcro is a lost cause. At least mine was. I went with snaps...

[​IMG]

19. LoriS

LoriS New Member

Wow, the snaps look great.. where would I take the trailer to have that done? Did you do this yourself or have it done?

20. R00

R00 Active Member

Did them myself. You gotta be willing to drill into your walls where the velcro strip is.