Palomino Owners

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by pej, May 18, 2014.

1. R00

R00 Active Member

Had to buy a couple of different tools to do it. One is a hole punch for the canvas. The other is a somewhat pricey tool called pres-n-snap. I tried a cheap snap press first and all the snaps failed.

2. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

Glad to see this thread!
    We have a 1999 Palomino Pinto. Had it about 8 yrs, but little used. Just Thanksgiving and once or twice more per year. Jobs required too much time back then.
    Had just a few tiny dings from hail or rocks thrown, but all is in excellent shape. Was on both CL and e-bay. We are 2nd owners.
    Has 3 way fridge, but we use to store dishware. Stove removed and in garage attic. Flip over galley leaks, so galley is glorified bedside shelf.
    Just added a couple 12v outlets to run 12v fans. Planning to add battery system over winter and LED light bulbs.
    Found owners manual and was uploaded to portal awhile back.

It sets up in 15 min or less, and down about same. It's a dream to pull with 4 cyl, 5 speed Nissan in 5th gear all day. Easy to forget it's there.

We do certainly love our Pinto and plan 2 wks to Colorado in 2016.

3. LoriS

LoriS New Member

I thought you might say that :).. I'm gonna make some calls to see if I can get this done for me, ha! Thanks for the awesome idea!

4. jberreth007

jberreth007 Renoing our 91 Palomino TXL-LB!!! So much work!!!

Proud Palomino owner here from the great state of Minnesota! It's a '93 with no frills as of now. But soon I hope to fix and or add some things to make camping more enjoyable. If anyone's looking to get rid of an AC unit just let me know! ;)

5. nhsummitmommy

nhsummitmommy New Member

We purchased a 2009 Yearling from a dealer last summer. It was well maintained (or never used),
    Few issues we ran into last year:
    the door....(like others have commented) Even when level it has gaps along the side and just does not seem to lock in place right.
    the furnace- we got it to fire up and run once. Can't figure out how to get it to turn on automatically when the temp drops or turn off when the camper is at the desired temp. Now we can't get it to turn on, not sure what the problem is now
    the fridge-does not seem to really get that cold. when planning for a trip I turn it on 48 hours before and run it off our house with an adaptor. switching over to battery doesn't keep cool and cannot get it to run on propane. Average temp is 38-52 would like to see it at 34 consistently or is that unlikely?

other than that its been great so far, our first trip in it we had a pretty bad thunderstorm and it stayed dry so we were very happy.

6. handdydaddy

handdydaddy Active Member

Purchased a 1997 Yearling RG. Have had it for a year now. Nothing major wrong with the camper just needed some tlc due to previous owner neglect. Haven't done any real mods yet, but I am starting a list to work on this year. The kids love the camper and are always asking when we are headed out again. Now that we have had it for a while and got the bugs worked out this year is going to be all about making it ours. And btw I as well have the issue with getting the door to latch. Glad to know its not just our camper.

7. Miamomof8

Miamomof8 Member

Lengthening the bunk that way is a great idea! Thanks for posting!

Beekeeper1 likes this.
  8. mimodaco

mimodaco New Member

Hi there,

Glad to see this thread. Last year I purchased my 2011 Palomino Y4102. Wish it had come with an owners manual for set up and take down. The person from whom I purchased it gave me a run down on how to do it but it's a lot to remember. I hear ya on the door issues. Mine had a couple of broken plastic clips so I assume the previous owner had a problem fitting the door as well. I just found a video on the set up and noticed that it says to zip up the corners on the inside as one of the last steps. The previous owner never showed me that so all along I have been sliding it in without unzipping these. I did notice when I was farting around trying to fit the door one time that the corner zipper to the left side of the door (looking at it from inside) is buggered up and doesn't really unzip anymore - I'll have to look into that a little more once I open it up again and do more mods in the spring.

I built an excellent outdoor kitchen set up that I just love!!! I'll have to try and figure out how to post photos. I never intended to cook inside the TT so I took the bracket off the back of the stove and used that as the mounting hardware to mount my table top to the outside of the trailer. Did the same with the BBQ because I purchased a free standing BBQ instead. What I ended up with was an L-shaped counter top which mounts to the existing hardware on the outside of the trailer. Therefore, my entire kitchen area is all contained under the canopy. I also used some closet racking that I purchased from Lowes so that I have hanging shelves under the counters where I store my pots and pans. To make things even better, the closet racking folds completely flat so it stores well. I picked up some suction cup bathtub type containers and I stick those on the outside of the trailer just above the table top to hold stuff like scrubbies and odds and ends.

Was just at the RV show today but unfortunately they don't have much for pop ups. That's okay thought because I think I am more of a "do it yourselfer" anyways.

The Postman likes this.
  9. Miamomof8

Miamomof8 Member

Happy to say I am now a 1992 Palomino Pinto owner! We are doing our first Camp DW this weekend. We're off for two weeks in June and then four weeks in July, so I've got to work the kinks out quickly. Mimodaco, I would LOVE to see pics of your outdoor kitchen!

10. Borkoloi

Borkoloi New to pop up camping

We just purchased a used Palomino Filly 1996 pop up. It is in great condition. We have never owned a pop up before- just borrowed our sons a few times. We are looking forward to spending time in it with our grandkids even if it is on our own acerage. One downfall- it has no A.C. and we live in Iowa. We are going to buy a portable unit from Home Depot or Menards. I have seen a few posts on your forum about how to set one up in the camper. If anyone wants to give us more advise it would be greatly appreciated.
    Alos- what type of upkeep is needed for the camper tires? Can this be a do it yourself project?
    Also- we have no owners manual for this camper. Any ide if we can find one or download one? L.B. in Iowa

11. edh

edh Active Member

I own and am currently doing a frame-up rebuild of an 1985 Colt XL. Hard sides, external lift arms. It's not going to look very much like sto know when I'm done. I may end up with surplus parts such as the hardsides; if anyone is interested let me know. I posted pics of the disassembly, will be posting the rebuild pics at intervals.

12. vickie

vickie New Member

We just got ours... not sure exactly what year and we're gutting it and rebuilding so I suppose the year doesn't matter much (ha!). It's a Shetland. I'm sure I'll be diving into these comments to see what everyone loves & hates so I know how to better rebuild!! [:D]

13. dfury7

dfury7 Member

I will be replacing the rubber seal on the roof of our 1999 Palomino Yearling. The manufacturer quoted me $1 per foot, which is a bargain!

Has anyone had any experience with removing the old seal/installing the new one? I am guessing its just slid into a channel around the lip, but if you have any tips or hints that would be awesome.

In the one corner where both ends meet, it almost looks like the manufacturer stapled it together?? Any thoughts on how to finish this properly would be great!

14. pej

pej Member

At the factory they placed the joint at the front corner - clearly not wise. After shrinkage I had a leak while driving in the rain. I recommend placing the joint along one side. I would also make it an inch or two too long to allow for future shrinkage. Joining the ends with caulking should work. Let us know how it went.

PEJ
    2001 Palomino Pony 21/2011 Ford Escape
    headpond.ca/Palomino.html

15. pej

pej Member

Has anyone replaced the decals on the sides of their Palomino. The factory kit was very expensive. All I need is the stripes for the sides and back. I would be happy with after market stripes.

PEJ
    2001 Palomino Pony 21/2011 Ford Escape
    headpond.ca/Palomino.html

16. dede.gagnon

dede.gagnon New Member

Brand new owner of a 1998 Yearling RL and very excited since it's our first pop up.

Got in touch with Palomino to get the owners manual and got the info that the couldn't provide with old manuals now but that I could rely on the 2015 manual available on their website. Sharing the info if it can help anyone else.

Otherwise, some advice or tips on that particuliar model ?

Thanks

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

There are 97 and 99 manuals in the manual section here on the Portal.

18. myride

myride Well-Known Member

1994 Pinto 2nd year owning, no issues, and have done a few mods. Will probably
    look at upgrading next year to something with a slide as the second grandchild will be
    old enough to camp (nope....only two rules camping with Papa #1) No diapers & # 2) be able to communicate.......lol. Would hope to find a Palomino with a slide in as good condition as mine but maybe have to look at other brands.

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Several years ago when I contacted Palomino to get a manual for our '04 6147, I was told that due to a fire at one of their buildings in 2005/2006 they lost all and in many case the only copies of manuals they had, I was told that they lost all kinds of different records including brochures, repair manuals, even some often rarer service manuals.. The good thing is they haven't changed their pups to much, so the current manual will cover a wide range of trailers bad thing is in some cases they are too generic ..

20. justincdst

justincdst Member

Just got out for the first week long camp up in Tofino with our new 93 Yearling. Didnt really notice any issues when setup in the drive way but started having problems with the door alignment when camping. The door randomly pops open or forms a large gap whenever it seems to want to. I had it perfectly level side to side and front to back using a bal leveler and the tongue plus stabilizers on all four corners. Is it an order of operations thing when opening up thats causing it. I just opened it up in the driveway to dry out and it is insanely off?