Palomino roof end wood removal for replacement

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Lost in Space, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

OK, I've read all I could and nothing quite answered my question. My Palomino 280 has rotten particle board pieces at each end of the roof. All else is fine. Replacing all gaskets etc. But my big problem is how do I remove the soggy particle board pieces from the roof ends without ruining the aluminum skin? This is needed so I can replace those wood pieces.

Thanks,
    Dana

2. fordtough68

fordtough68 New Member

I would imagine that once you tear into it.... your financial need a little more work than you think. I've never done it but if I was going to, I would remove the top and start removing the screws until I got a grasp on how it all goes together. Taking LOTS of pictures of course!!!

3. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

No Screws, I think its all glued!

4. JerseyPopUp

JerseyPopUp New Member

I may have an answer as to why this has happened. On the hitch side of my camper, the latches were pulling the roof to the point where little holes were visible.... hence water getting in and rotting the wood. I am looking for something to seal it with, and also looking into something that i might be able to do to strengthen the latch plates that are on the camper roof.

5. satcomr

satcomr Member

Without a picture it is hard to help too much, but if your palomino roof was like mine, the roof skin folded over and down and a rail was screwed to the bottom of the front and rear roof pieces. the sides of the roof were seperate, but a trim piece ran the length of the roof and also follows the contour bending down in the front and rear. The bottom rail of aluminum comes off, and so do the trim rails on either side, just enough to bend them up to get into the corners. The side skin gets peeled back to expose the screws holding the front boards in place. these are removed. use a stiff putty knife to go between the roof skin and the front/rear boards to losen the skin. then peel the skin back to expose any screws that are screwed into the roof is self. when this is done the end boards should come off. the interior trim will also come off with it, you can either replace it or reuse it. I replaced any rotted wood in my palomino with pressure treated 1xstock.

Hope this helps, post a pic or two to give us an idea of what you are dealing with and I bet we can get this done!

6. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

We are right in the middle of the same project for out 86 scamper. Some one on here suggested Goof Off. It is an adhesive remover. We got the aerosol can and having the right tools helped. We started out with a putty knife for drywall. After a few holes in the skin later and not much progress we bought a paint scraper (looks just like a putty knife but is more rigid and has a sharper end) and the goof off. It took us about 2 hour to finish all 4 sides. The problem we have run into now is now that the wood is off there is Styrofoam along the edges. I am not sure if this was for just shaping purposes or if there is another reason for it and what I can use to replace it.

7. satcomr

satcomr Member

Hey, bandc12, try using the 3/4" foam insulation you can get at your local lumber yard. I have used it with good success. I never thought about good off, good idea