PALOMINO STAMPEDE- LEAKING BUNK DRIVING.

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by jgoochmixer, May 26, 2019.

1. jgoochmixer

jgoochmixer New Member

Sorry if this has been asked here before- My searches here did not find much on this topic.

Driving in the rain- my front bunk collects water inside. .. checked to make sure shut properly. The seals do not look overly worn.. So maybe the latch? The pads are pretty compressed.. I read about different latch styles. and i really could not come to a conclusion to decide which is better. WE have the type that swing over and push them up till they click... The other replacements i have seen are more of screw vise design... Which are preferred.

Again sorry if a newbie question... thanks in advance.

2. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Screw type are old tech and never did a good job.
    You need to check the overhead running lights. They often allow water in through bad caulking, which drips down into the bunk end.
    Or the bunk door may have warped and is allowing water between the seals.
    You could take the trailer to a Sealtech dealer to have it tested for leaks.

RockyRoo likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Squirt it with a hose, then look inside. Do one part at a time. At least it will give you an area to look at.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. May want to post in "Introduce Yourself" to start. There's a chance the roof could be lifting just a little while traveling. It could develop lift, like an airplane wing, while being towed. Doesn't take much of a gap for water to intrude.

5. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

the OP has a hybrid, and posted in the Hybrid section. Hybrids don't have roofs that lift, unless the roof membrane has detached.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Use google, to search for hybrid bunk latch mod.. I have seen two write ups complete with pictures and part numbers on how to swap the old crank latches for the newer swing bar style.. IIRC one of those mods was/is posted on rvitch.com ..

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Didn't pick up on that info on the phones little screen.

8. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I have the latch type and they work much better than the screw type. You can test the bunk seal with water yourself. I reseal all areas when I get a used camper.