Palomino winch mounting

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by ST Dog, Apr 11, 2017.

1. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Specifically a '99 Tracker Trackstar 12SC, but it's a rebadged Palomino Filly SC.
    I figure similar models from that period (+/- 2 or 3 years) would be the same.

Anyone here got (or able to get) some pictures/measurements of how the winch is mounted?
    Overall pics of the tongue and mounting details would be appreciated.
    Also where the cable passes under the front of the camper box.

Back story. I was told that 2 owners previous replaced the factory/dealer electric winch.
    It was replaced with a boat trailer winch, welded directly to the frame.
    It's not done right at all. The winch spool axis is vertical, there's a roller under the front of the box that the cable runs over, and the cable stays tight on the lower side of the spoil (causing wear and the cable wraps flat until it slips instead of winding up the spool).

A few pics I've seen (of unknown campers) show a plate across the tongue with a plate rising from it (~45*) that the winch mounts too. I need to recreate that plate with the proper dimensions/location so I can mount the correct winch.

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Having owned a 99 Palomino, I know it is a standard Goshen Stamping lift system and winch. I know you can buy the winch and I think with a little hunting that you can buy angled plate it was mounted to. Have you called Palomino? I have in the past found them to be very helpful.

3. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Haven't contacted them yet. I was trying to get a better idea of what else may have been modified first. Hate to spend $$ on the original bracket and then find out it won't fit unless I change more stuff.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Mine only had a pulley mounted to the camper box frame for the cable. The cable went to the winch directly after that.

5. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The mounting bracket allowed the crank handle to be right above the frame. It was a 90 degree piece. I will see if I can find a pic.

7. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Here's some pics of what's there.

In the last two my finger/thumb is pointing where there's part of an old weld.

tmp_23056-0411171940a20888580.jpg tmp_23056-0411171940b1122796653.jpg tmp_23056-0411171941c1393230771.jpg tmp_23056-0411171941999263194.jpg tmp_23056-0411171941b955746885.jpg

8. skeeter

skeeter New Member

I might be able to help. I have a 2000 Palomino Filly. Last summer I had my local welding shop redo my winch mount plate and supports. I don't have pictures of the finished product but here is what it looked like before I got it redone. I will get some pictures of the finished product when I get home this evening if this is helpful. As you can see the winch support plate was buckling and needed thicker steel and the support was bending. Let me know if you need anything else.
    20160627_063458.jpg 20160627_063502.jpg

ST Dog likes this.
  9. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Interesting. Now I'm thinking the propane/battery rack was modified too.

Mine is 2 parallel angles near the front of the camper while your battery is all farther forward and the propane rack is separate.

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My propane was beside the battery until I switched to dual tanks. then I moved the propane forward between the battery and the winch.

11. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Yeah, by the looks of it I agree. Also I will take a picture of mine but I have a wheel for the winch wire as it goes under the frame.

12. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Mine ends up with 2 propane tanks outboard and space for 2 batteries in the middle (only one battery box currently).

But what was the OE design? If I call them to get a replacement winch mounting plate, is it going to be for a setup like mine or more like skeeter's?

13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I think that OE was propane tanks closest to the camper, then battery, then the winch. Battery was usually an add-on feature.

14. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Well, Palomino was no help. The plates are now outsourced so they won't even sell me one.
    Wouldn't even supply measurements for the plate (material, thickness, width, angle, etc.) or even the correct height for the cable spool axis.

My best bet is to get some measurements from one in good shape and work with Goshen to ensure the cable length is correct once I mount what ever I make.

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Well I'm sorry to hear that. I have found them responsive when I called the parts department in the past. I guess CS is on the decrease...

16. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Well, we talked a while, but it's age and all the ownership/production changes at Palomino factor in.

He was around back in the 90s and remembers some of it, but no official records/drawings available. So, that leaves find something to measure then wing it.

The fact that the RV places locally don't deal with pop-up doesn't help. I had called all within 50 miles when I was looking to see if they had anything used and all said they don't "mess with" popups.

17. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Yeah I understand that. It's hard to find a place sometimes to work on a popup. That's when I started doing my own work.

18. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Here ya go ST Dog. I think if you take your popup to a welding/fabrication shop they can work up something pretty close to what I have. Let me know if you need any other pictures, measurements, etc.

20170413_063420.jpg 20170413_063525.jpg 20170413_063541.jpg 20170413_063556.jpg 20170413_063614.jpg 20170413_063635.jpg

19. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Thanks. Just what I needed.