Palomino Y-4120 Lift + Tires

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by AlexJet, Sep 14, 2015.

1. AlexJet

AlexJet New Member

[PU]
    I just bought 2011 Palomino Y-4120. Nice Pop-Up, but sits too low for backcountry camping and my hitch. I have Land Cruiser as a towing vehicle.
    I was looking online and saw that some people lift torsion axles with 2x4 steel tubing. Dexter has a "lift kit", but I have Al-Ko axle. Can I use Dexter kit on my Al-Ko?
    I currently have 175/80-R13 wheels on it. Did anyone upgraded wheels to 205/75-R14 or 205/75-R15? Can it be done?

2. changingground

changingground New Member

Hey Alex- long wait for a reply, eh? If you're still curious, I looked into Al-Ko torsion axles a,d the mounts look very similar to Dexters. It's impossible to say for certain, but I'd guess yours could be lifted quite simply. It just depends on your skills or the shop you can bring it to. I'd check with local automotive frame and axle shops and ask the question. They might be able to fab something up, as might a welding shop. Two inches of lift isn't much, and will allow larger radius tires. My Pup has 15" wheels and rolls much more smoothly (Not to mention the peace of mind) in washboarded roads. Good luck!

3. R00

R00 Active Member

Torsion axle equipped trailers are very easy to lift up. Here's my Dexter axle with 4" lift (unsure if it was a kit, its just 2 pieces 2x2 square tubing bolted and welded between axle and frame)

Obviously, your mounts may be different. Give us pics!

[​IMG]