Palomino Yearling-4101 2011 Furnace Question

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Brittany, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Brittany

Brittany New Member

I just swapped out my old thermostat (see attached photo) with a new battery-powered Honeywell (see photo). The furnace clicks on and blows out air but does not blow out heat. I have the camper plugged into my home and hope to run it off 120 in the future unless we have to run it off propane, which we only will do if we have to.

The furnace clicks and pushes out air, just not any heat. Any help troubleshooting this before our trip this weekend would be great!

Attached Files:

2. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

OK the thermostat is working as it is a simple two wire connection for most furnaces.
    So was it working prior to you changing out the thermostat?
    I am guessing here that when you operated it, it automatically shut down the fan after a while?
    Did you hear the igniter firing (fast clicking sound)?
    Also a manufacturer and model of the furnace would help to diagnose.

3. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Not sure what furnace you have but mine needs propane to make the flame to make the heat and electricity to run the blower. Without propane there is no heat.

4. Brittany

Brittany New Member

Thanks for the reply, the thermostat was working as we took the camper out once before changing the thermostat and had no issue. There is a switch to the left of heater faceplate that we flip on and it turns on the heater. We flip this switch and then adjust the thermostat to the degrees we would like. I do hear it clicking and it does it for about 1 min or less before it stops and just keeps pushing out air. Once we fit the switch to the left then the heater stops blowing air.

I don't have the make and model on me but I can get tonight.

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

As lostboy has said the propane will need to be on and full for this to work. But I guess this was a typo and you meant to put 12V there as you have had it working!
    If it is clicking it means that it has checked it self for air movement and its happy to turn on the gas.
    If the gas is not flowing and the thermocouple does not sense heat after around 10-15 seconds it will keep the fan going for the normal cool down cycle time(1-2 minutes). Depending on the model this will happen 3 times in a row and then the furnace will fault off.
    You then need to turn the thermostat on and off again to force it back to initial start.
    Most people run the stove to get a good flow of gas going through the lines as some times the furnace being last on the line can take some time to start.
    When starting mine first time of the season it will take from 3 to 5 start attempts to get it going.

6. Brittany

Brittany New Member

Thanks for getting back to me, I was able to take a photo of the inside of the heater and model number. It sounds like we must use propane when using the heater? Sorry for the silly question but I am new at this.

Attached Files:

7. Brittany

Brittany New Member

It is a Suburban Furnace Model Number NS-20SE

8. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Well Done.
    This link is the service manual for the Suburban Furnaces, hopefully it may have some more information in it.
    No problems with the questions.
    We have all been there.
    OK I guess you have found it should work now that you know you need propane.
    But if you don't want to use the propane and you are plugged in to shore power, I guess your best bet is to take a electric heater and use this, fan or oil, others may have more suggestions.
    Or do search on heaters on the forum as this subject has come up quite a few times.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

You have a forced air furnace.... the furnace runs on propane, the blower fan runs off 12v electric power (120 AC if on shore power). Hope this helps!

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The blower runs on 12v regardless of power source for the camper. On shore power the converter supplies the 12v power.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Yes, I was trying to keep it short & sweet [A]

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You have a propane furnace. You can't run it off (only) battery or shore power.