pandemical hybrid musings...Jayco vs Shamrock/Roo vs SolAire vs ?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Dingit, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Are there any major differences between the big brands in terms of bunk-dropping technology or quality? And what brands am I missing? Does anyone make a 7' wide hybrid anymore?

I'm only half-seriously thinking about how cool a hybrid would be for road trips. The big popup is awesome once you get somewhere but it's hard to make lunch out of between here and there. Also bathroom. Everyone knows this.

I'd want something smaller for rough roads, but big enough for 4. This general floorplan appeals to me. All three of the above companies make a similar one. (They're all a tad large but I seem to be wanting too much for a smaller package. :p)

(I'm comparing new models because its easier to get information on these.)

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/flagstaff-shamrock/19/1048
    https://palominorv.com/travel-trailers/solaire-expandable/163X/2519
    https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2020-jay-feather/x19h/

Decent appliance level and tank sizes, room for 4 to sleep, capability for 4 to sleep uncomfortably when the bunks can't be deployed.

Any thoughts?? What SHOULD I be looking at? Thanks!

2. rsdata

rsdata Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2014 Shamrock ( Roo sister) 183, 3 bunk hybrid... 3 queen tipout bunks... wife sleeps in rear, I sleep in front ( we have different sleeping schedules) and center bunk is either to put clothes, general storage, etc, or sleep another 1 or 2 people. On the road the dinette table is also a short, 6 feet or less, temporary bunk for overnights, without having to tipout anything. No slides to fool with or have issues with, and 22 feet ball to bumper. 4800# gross and about 630# tongue weight fully loaded. It has plenty of storage for camp chairs and a bike while traveling. No issues to speak of warranty or otherwise.

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

look at storage. - where to put all the food/cooking/eating stuffs and your clothes. plus everything else you may pack along. the solaire seems to be deficient compared to the shamrock (the solaire does not appear to have the over bed storage or the in-bath linen closet). To bad they don't give you a 3D view on the jayco.
    We have a shamrock 23ws - it is bigger than what you are looking at by a bit - we love it and went with it due to the huge slide out wardrobe/closet (ours is no longer made). and that in-bath linen closet is very helpful. we also like the corner shower - did not need the tub.

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Thanks RS--I looked at that one too. The two models are about the same length...The 3rd bunk would make the kids happier but I suspect the couch would be more valuable. (To me, not them. Haha!) Good to hear it is wearing well.

Gals, you're right about the over-the-bed storage. I did notice that! And it could be a big deal. If, on the other hand, it made the trailer lower, I'd be okay with it. Most don't list exterior height on their models. There's a 3D view for the Jayco on the 2021 listings. (I was using the 2020 for reference because they don't have specs listed for the 2021 models.) https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2021-jay-feather/x19h/

It doesn't appear to have the same generous over-bunk storage as the Rockwoods but I'm sure I could rig something if I had to.

5. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Member

The "best" will be ultimately up to you. We bought a Solaire 163x this fall. Only used it once, and really are happy with the purchase so far. I will concur that interior storage, while generous, is not as well thought out as our old Viking 2170ST. However, for the two of us, there is more than enough space, especially after doing some minor mods to the storage spaces under the range and sink. I will be adding a bathroom storage cabinet to supplement to the vanity and medicine cabinet space.

As to construction, notwithstanding some initial quality issues that all RVs tend to be delivered with, I am actually impressed with the structural integrity and construction of our Solaire. It's a bit on the heavy side for this size box, but the frame is robust and the dual axles are well over-spec for the max GVWR. This camper looks to be good for some serious miles. I would not take it on a 4WD trail, but a rough forest road would not make me pause.

I will say that the height is a concern, as it is almost 11 feet high at the A/C unit. The Specs say 10'-3" or something like that, but I measured mine at over 10'-9", so min clearance for storage and bridges is 11'.

6. GalsofEscape

hum - looking at the 3D link you provided - the Jayco is also minus the overhead storage and does not have a linen closet in the bath. Looks very much like the Solaire. If it were between those two - you may have to go see them and try out the mattress - the best mattress wins!![LOL]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

These modern hybrids don't have exterior poles, right? Do you have to fiddle with the canvas on the outside? Do I sound like I've been cooped up for months and months?? It doesn't show does it?

Good to hear about the Solaire, Jim! It looks like it has more upper cabinets in the dinette/sofa area than the others which should at least partly make up for the missing bunk cubbies. What's behind the TV? Can you access that space? What about when the TV is removed?

Do any of them have good mattresses?

I'm not super concerned about storage as I'm pretty good at creating it. It would be sort of exciting to add storage somewhere with actual walls, ya know? :) And these all have more base storage than I've ever had.

The height for all of these trailers (as well as non-hybrids of course) is going to be a lot more than I'm used to. Wider, too. I wish I could get a 7' wide model. (Jayco had some last time I shopped but they had sad little tanks and sad little appliances compared to the 8' wide models. They seem to be gone now.) I might not be ready! But I probably have a whole pandemic to sit through before shopping anyway.

I appreciate all the input. Thanks!

8. GalsofEscape

no exterior poles to deal with - they have a cable system on the inside. i know the shamrock/rockwoods have attached tenting - so no fiddling with wrapping the tenting under the bed. there are couple reports of the attached tenting coming loose - i had one that did but silcone and a screw cured that.
    i think the mattresses have recently changed to a memory type foam (?). mine is an inner spring. it is ok, not great, so i do use a topper on it (the heat feature goes through the topper - and we like the heat feature when camping in the early spring/fall).

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Nice! I think if we do decide to move to a full height trailer, a hybrid would be a good choice. We don't mind canvas. ("Canvas". Whatever it is.) We don't even mind setup. But access on the road...I do mind not having that.

10. GalsofEscape

totally agree - being able to pull over and use the facilities or make lunch is very nice. the sodas stay cold in the fridge.....

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I must admit I always look admiringly on the portapotties on trailers as they're dragged to location...

12. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Hybrids have the unique ability to be "turtled". this means being able to sleep without deploying the bunk ends. you can sleep on the dinette or sofa, if so equipped, like a small TT. this ability comes in handy in bear country or on the road. we "turtled" numerous times with our Rockwood Roo 23SS.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Way back when I was looking to upgrade, I very nearly bought one of those 7’ wide Jaycos at a RV show. As I figured it would be easier on my 4 runner to haul. However I decided to think about it and ultimately changed my mind as I just didn’t think my 4 runner could handle the camper in the mountains very well. However days when I’m on a long trip and just want a sandwich on the road or bathroom break I look back to that day I turned down the camper and kick myself. Then days I’m traveling on narrow, winding mountain roads,
    and feel how much power the 4 runner needs just to haul the popup I’m thankful for my popup. I don’t think I can get away from canvas all together, as I will miss being able to open all my windows.

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Bikendan, the turtling is one reason I'm liking the models with the sofa more than the extra tent bed. It wouldn't be super comfy but it would be doable.

JM, the 7-wide Jaycos are a good size. No reason for them to be wider. And they aren't super tall, either. I decided against them because I wanted an upgrade to my appliances and holding tanks and they didn't really do that. Also, at the time we were comparing to the 7-wide nonhybrid Winnebagos (spouse liked these) which had full sized appliances and midsize tanks in a narrow package. So I got a 10-year old popup instead. :p

The hybrids I'm looking at don't weigh much more than my popup but I'm sure they'd tow differently and fit into the garage poorly.

15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Before I got my FnR, I looked at hybrids. The turtling ability was a major deal for me as it would allow me to stay at "hardsided only" campgrounds. That's one of the reasons I love my FnR.

Dingit likes this.
  16. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Member

Nope, no poles, super easy to swing the bed end down. Minor adjustment of the canvas at the hinge corners, but nothing like with a pup.

There is a cabinet with a fixed front behind the TV with the cabling and power connections. I have not explored this yet, but will likely modify that panel and re-configure the wiring. The cabinet to the left of the TV is where we store the games, cards, DVDs, etc. I also plant to delete the roof top OTA antenna for the TV. We have no desire to watch broadcast TV, but we did actually enjoy bringing along a couple of DVDs to play on a rainy evening.

Ours has heated mattresses, and we were surprised at the comfort, and actually luxuriated in the heat. What a treat! But . . . there was a lot of condensation at the bunk floor. I think the mattresses are fine for "average" folks, but if we were big folks, I could see a need for additional padding on/under the mattress.

We discovered a couple things that we really did not expect to like or use. First, the convertible couch opens wide enough for the two of us to lay on it and watch TV. Or nap, or read. It was much more comfortable and roomy than expected. I love to take naps while camping, and the couch in our old pup was used regularly for that. The couch was a must have for this camper.

We also discovered that the front bunk mattress fits easily on the dinette and couch when dropped down, so if we need to "turtle", we have a full bed to sleep on.

And we still have the canvas to sleep under and listen to the breeze, rain, owls, etc.

Dingit likes this.
  17. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Member

One last point I forgot to add above - the tanks on the Solaire are generous. 45 gallons of fresh water, and 30/30 on the gray/black.

Dingit likes this.
  18. Rocket Don

Rocket Don Member

This also handy if rain is forecast right before you are leaving or you are planning an early departure and don't want to spend time packing in the a.m., or don't want to disturb neighbors doing so.

Dingit likes this.
  19. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Our KZ 160RBT is laid out similar to the Jayco. Probably less storage, but it's still pretty sweet. And leaving in the morning - we always keep thinking we're missing something, because it's so easy.We do all the stuff we need to inside, and then it's pretty much just fold up the ends, hook, and go.

For the record - 7 1/2 feet wide, if that makes a difference. :D

Dingit likes this.
  20. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing out the KZs! I love the 7.5 vs 8ft wide, and being short I don't care about the length of the beds, but the width of the beds is also less. Seeing as I'm hoping to make my kids share one as long as possible...well, inches count.

cyclop5 likes this.