Paradise in the North Georgia Mtns

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by mtnkube, Jul 26, 2012.

1. mtnkube

mtnkube New Member

OK guys and gals, we took a little weekend trip about 30 minutes north of our house to one of our local CG's and we wanted to let ya'll know about it. Riverbend CG is in Hiawasse, GA nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. It is run by a very wonderful family, the McNabbs. From the moment you get to the CG they give a a warm welcome and make you feel like family. The sites here are spread out just enough to be comfortable but yet close enough to be neighborly. The entire grounds are well manicured and kept up. The pool, bath house and restrooms are VERY clean. Most of the site from what i could tell are very level and have a nice layer of gravel. All i had to do at my site was adjust the tongue height. The grounds but up against the Hiawassee river where you can swim, tube or fish. If you have an event, there are a couple of pavilions located at different areas. Through the summers they have events like movie night on Saturday night at the main pavilion. If you are with a group, like good sams club etc., and come in on Thursday they do a fish fry for you.

I deffinatly give Riverbend a 10 and will be back for many more short weekend trips.

[​IMG]
    Our rig at the entrance.

[​IMG]
    Bobby and Susie McNabb(owners)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Saline pool was very nice.

[​IMG]
    Loved our site, nice and level

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alana loved her first camping trip and is ready for many more.

2. singledad

singledad New Member

Thumbs up, nice looking CG.

3. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Way to go getting your DD out early for her first trip. We took our son out at 6 weeks. They adapt well.

4. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Nice seeing your trip and your cute DD, Alana. We'll see you again in September at the Georgia - Fall Rally at Lake Allatoona! Alana will be an experienced camper by then! [:D]

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Love the review, pics and the baby [8D]

6. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

Nice review! I'll have to check it out sometime! [:D]

7. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

Great review, thanks! Love that it has both the river and the pool for a little aquatic recreation! Look forward to meeting you guys in person at the fall rally!

Do you have any other recommendations for North Georgia camping?

8. mtnkube

mtnkube New Member

oh yeah! ill get you a list together. We are going to another CG 5 minutes from the house next weekend to take my niece camping and i will be writing a review on that one too. To me that is the best way to find good and not so good CG's for people to visit.

9. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Looking good mtnkube!

10. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

Sweet! We visit family in Dahlonega fairly frequently, but we don't have much camping experience in the area. Years ago (with a tent and before kids) we did a weekend at Vogel State Park and really enjoyed it. I keep thinking we need to head back there and experience it again. Are you near there?

11. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

Thanks for the review. I may have to head down there from East TN before long and check it out. Looks nice!

12. mtnkube

mtnkube New Member

20 minutes from my house to vogel. Im going to put together of places i like around here and throw it on here for you guys in the next day or two

13. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We loved Vogel and the large sites!

Georgia campgrounds will make a great discussion for our Fall Rally too!

14. papachaz

papachaz New Member

nice review, thanks for sharing. especially the pics! this is a private campground, correct? how does their pricing compare to COE and State Parks? i have to admit my opinion of private campgrounds (from the ones i've seen) isn't good. anyway, thanks for sharing, and see you in sept!

15. mtnkube

mtnkube New Member

i am also a fan of the GA state parks, they always seem so nice. On that note though, several of the privates up here are really nice. I think i pay about $28 a nite at the states on average and between $30-35 at the privates in our area. There is a lot of camping families here where i live so it was a little easier to find out which cg's to go to and not go to.

16. nannybo

nannybo New Member

This will be our third week in a row going to Vogel. We only get to stay a couple of days at a time due to work and gardening. It is only 12 miles from home. We are close enough to run home and check on elderly parents if need be. We have checked out ALOT of the state parks and can find none better. Vogel has everything located within walking distance. Why pull farther than you have to? Trying to get all the camping we can in before school starts for our GRANDkids..Pulling out tomorrow [:D]

17. papachaz

papachaz New Member

wow nannybo! 3 in a row at the same CG with so many others so close to you too! we haven't been to vogel in years, but we do plan to go soon. we've just done a northern one, seems fair we go south next time [:D] [:D]

18. tweeker155

tweeker155 New Member

Looks like a great campground. Thanks for the review.

19. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

That's not far away from the Soque River, noted for some huge brown trout. Of course this is a pic of a NO FISHING section of the river!

[​IMG]

20. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

I couldn't stand it any longer! My Darling Clan and Mtnkube went back to this campground a couple of weekends ago! I have to say that I enjoyed it the whole weekend! It was very quite. they had some bluegrass playing at one of the shelters on Saturday night. The pool was clean and warm. The DGD who is 9 enjoyed the free cable tv. The people at check in was very nice and polite! Even provided access to the campground wifi which is nice in the mountains! Price was $30 a night with full hookups! I will definately be going back!