Paranoid Petunia -Closing up the camper

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by SBradley, Oct 16, 2016.

1. SBradley

SBradley Member

Maybe someone has a few tricks of the trade to lend me? Please?

A few times, and tonight, I was tucking away my camper and it just started to rain a very light sprinkle. Seriously, the rain couldn't wait 5 minutes??? As I was tucking in the canvas I didn't feel dampness, but I'm a little paranoid. If there are a few light raindrops on the tenting will this cause problems? Should I open it and air it out just in case?

I'm also not sure what is the best method of folding up the canvas; any hints? So far what works best for me is tucking in the sides pretty far first and then the end under from the top seam down.

I'm not a clean freak, BUT - the exterior canvas is exposed to the elements, and then I fold it onto the mattress where I sleep. I started throwing an old sheet over the top of the mattress when I fold it up and that makes me feel a little better about it! However, I purchased some pillow-top mattress pads, and it is going to be a lot less hassle if I have them on the mattress when travelling. Then I'm back to the issue of the 'not so clean' canvas on top of them.

I am also wondering about bunk-end mattresses. One side is vinyl and the other side is fabric. Should I store it with the vinyl side up and then flip it when I'm setting up camp? Or does it really not matter?

I purchased the camper a few months ago, and I'm itching to wash the cushion covers. The covers are in terrific condition, but they are 18 years old. The directions are to "spot clean".

I know it's not rocket science, and for some of these things it's mostly likely 1/2 of one .50 of the other. Just looking for some insight!

Thank you so much!

2. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

A few drops probably will not hurt anything but you can always open it up later just enough to let a little air into the canvas. When I take mine down, I make sure the canvas and vinyl top is towards the outside, facing away from the bunks, and not folded in so that the outside does not touch the bedding.

3. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

I purchased the camper a few months ago, and I'm itching to wash the cushion covers. The covers are in terrific condition, but they are 18 years old. The directions are to "spot clean".

If your cushion covers are zippered you should be able to remove them and wash them in your machine. Gentle cycle with a gentle detergent such as Woolite. Air dry and wrestle them back on. While your at it, let the uncovered foam sit out in the sun and fresh air.

4. kstephens

kstephens Member

I always like to pack it away 100% dry, just in case I don't get our as soon as I think I will. If it was even slightly wet when I stored it, I usually will pop it up in the driveway after I get back, and will use that time to give the vinyl/canvas a good cleaning. But any moisture stored away can cause a problem, no matter how small.

as far as folding it up, the least amount of folds you can make the better. I never noticed, but when I added memory foam mattress pad, I realized I needed to take more precaution when folding. We have a king and queen bunk end, so I often will get he broom out to help push back the fabric prior to closing. It really helps.

5. johnhenry

johnhenry Member

So you're saying to try and keep the exterior facing material off of the bunk end mattresses?

6. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Let the foam air out but don't let it sit in the sun. The UV quickly breaks down the foam, FWIW...

Adam

7. SBradley

SBradley Member

It's a sunny beautiful day - I don't have an excuse NOT to air out. My conscious will be better for it.

When I try to fold it so the exterior is not touching the bunk mattresses, the canvas/vinyl seems to bunch up more and hang up when sliding the bunk ends in. I have a king on each end, maybe that's why. If at first you don't succeed...

I should let my cat out when my neighbor is feeding the birds - might cut down on the poopy canvas. [}:)] (Shhhhhh)

Sounds like permission has been granted :) . The upholstery covers are zippered, so I'll give them a washing. No nice weather for the next 2 weekends though. Might have to wait til the Spring, or bring them in for a winter project.

8. wecamp

wecamp Member

We had fitted plastic mattress covers we would put on the beds before folding. That way if it was raining when we set up the bedding would stay dry. The bedding would also stay dry if we had to take down in the rain.

9. MItoVA

MItoVA Member

I don't worry about this...actually, it's never even occurred to me to worry about this. I mean, when you pack up, the only fabric that comes in contact with your mattress is the inside surface, right? Sure, it all goes inside the camper, but the mattress is only in contact with the inside of the fabric, which hasn't--or at least shouldn't--have any exposure to the elements. If the inside of your bunk ends are exposed to the elements, you've got other issues. [;)]

We've been forced to pack up wet a couple times, but I open her up and air her out when I get home...which gives me a good opportunity to sweep and mop and wipe down the hard surfaces real well after a trip. Once things are nice and dry, I take my time folding the tenting back down in the relative comfort of Camp Driveway. I drop about 2/3 of the way and then push the sides in, before using a broom-handle or something to (gently) push the bunk-end fabric in, folding and tucking the corners as best as I can. It's a bit like "hospital corners" when you make a bed...but a little more complicated...especially around our dinette slide-out. If all goes well, I can drop the rest of the way, leaving about two inches to tuck the last bit of skirting up inside. If all doesn't go well, I lower a foot...re-tuck...then another foot...and re-tuck again... But sooner or later, I get to lower those last couple cranks and fasten the latches.

Take your time. You'll develop a rhythm. You can always crank it back up and start over. [:D]

10. HSMomma

HSMomma Member

I've been developing MY rhythm. I must've lowered, tucked, lowered, tucked some more, couldn't latch, raised, lowered again, tucked, etc. for nearly and hour the other night. I was trying to figure out the best way to get my driver's side rear latch to close. That corner always seems to be high no matter what I do. It might be the wiring and sleeve that travel up the vinyl wall and fold down inside the tenting near that corner that's causing the problem. Dunno. But, by the time I was finished, I had gotten pretty good at the folding and tucking part!

11. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i use my broom to help push in canvas

12. steve7-4

steve7-4 'I'd rather be camping'

We use a small broom as well. We cut of about two feet off of the broom handle to take up less storage space. During tear-down we keep the broom accessible to sweep the floors and push in the canvas and it is one of the last things to pack-up. Works well on the floor and the canvas.

13. SBradley

SBradley Member

Sounds like I have work to do. The outside of my camper canvas is usually touching the mattress. I'm going to print out these instructions and do better next time! Thanks!

On the nice day I did air out the camper. Again. My daughter was helping me tuck in the canvas and noticed dampness on the canvas. My daughter had wet hands!! I just had to keep folding and move on.