Parenting done right

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by MaeKay, Jun 9, 2019.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

63A31976-C3B7-4CE9-9EEA-CB27E62B142D.jpeg My kindergartener wrote and drew this in May and I almost cried with joy. My 4 and 6 year old love camping which thrills my husband and me. When we were dating, my husband and I realized that all our fondest childhood memories included camping (which neither of us did often). So we are making our dreams come true.

It’s tradition to drink a soda on the first night of camping. “This summer I will go camping and have sodas.”

Nicole721, Yacoma99, Annunzi and 21 others like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Looks better then my camper:sad:

Minimalist likes this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Well done...[rly]

MaeKay likes this.
  4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Kudos! Sounds like tradition building.

MaeKay likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I Love it !!!!

MaeKay likes this.
  6. Overland

Overland Active Member

Don't leave us hanging.. what flavor soda?

MaeKay likes this.
  7. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

This made me smile — thank you for sharing!

MaeKay likes this.
  8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Nice!

MaeKay likes this.
  9. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Orange and rootbeer.

DigitalGuru likes this.
  10. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

I also asked my 6 year old what his favorite memory was from this trip. He said, “ Playing outside near the trailer.”

6 weeks ago we cut out all screens (tablets, Tv, computer games...not that he watched a ton but even half an hour a day was too much) and it has made a world of difference (and was shockingly easy, very little whining). Last August we went camping for two nights and he was sooo bored, even though he used to love to just dig and play outside. This trip we camped for 3 nights and not one single time did he get bored.

11. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

This summer I will go camping and have sodas.

Phoodieman

Rik Peery and Orchid like this.
  12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

You are so lucky to have your children so young. We have the Brady bunch here. I never had the opportunity to know my kids at that age. I have three sons and never knew them that young. The oldest came to me at 13 from a broken home through a guardianship arraignment, and the other two from a second marriage 20 years later that's work in progress... and actually two more boys from close friends of the family that went bust that we took in for what was supposed to be a short while that turned into 10 years and melded in the pack. With all five kids the bio-father blew town and left them in the dust. All of us started bonding together around the campfire at one time, but the oldest, when asked will tell you the high point of his teens was the disaster trip we took he was 14. He was at that age where he was already rebelling all authority and it was a time that everything I tried to accomplish from car repairs to home repairs fell apart faster then I could patch them up. I decided we needed a brake and grabbed my father's Sears and Roebuck green canvas family tent and took him on his first camping trip. The forecast was for clear skies and sunshine the entire weekend. By the time we arrived in the state forest it was already drizzling and by the time we set up, a steady rain was starting. We laughed it off and I told him tomorrow we'd be fishing and swimming. I packed everything my father used to take with us when we were kids and the whole setup was like being in a time warp. I really thought it was going to work out. By the time we had woke up, we had watched the surrounding areas fill with water, except the road out. I grabbed dad's old Admiral portable radio and popped a new battery in it and found out that severe "100" year rains were on the way and popped in the car to make a cell phone call to my other half that we were coming home and found out the car was dead. Oh brother, my kid was having a break down, but we buttoned down for the worst and man did we get it. It poured down rain so hard small villages were being evacuated, they were tracking tornadoes in the area and bridges were getting washed away and all we had at hand was a AM pocket radio, some pencils and paper and a deck of cards. We played Rummy for hours while trees were getting downed all throughout the forest... and the weather got even worse. By the second day he was so wound up tight he exploded with aggravation and about 3AM on the third day I heard him laughing like an eight year old and he hugged me and said "you have the worst luck of any person on the planet. I've never seen anything like this... your whole life around you is ridiculous... but I really love you man, you tried and nobody ever did this for me." We laughed at how absolutely out of control things were getting as entire villages were being evacuated. I thought how wrong this really was, but couldn't help it as things were flying so off the handle. So with a phone call from a land line i found a couple miles out, we had a family member drive out and jump the car and we packed it all up soaking wet. Walking through the door after an extra hour of detours around missing bridges we finally thanked God for our little broke down home and I asked him at the dinner table what he spent time scribbling on the pad of paper at night and I expected a band logo.. Metallica or Iron Maiden... and he showed me his piece of art. A picture of the campsite, with us in my dad's old tent, raining with lightening bolts hitting trees and bridges floating down the river and at the bottom "I got the best dad" I fell apart as soon as left the room. I never felt like a winner until I saw that. I thought to myself "I'd do this all over again." GUESS WHAT...
    Twenty years later, I got together with the love of my life and two boys I hadn't seen in twenty years. Her boys wanted a camping reunion at a state park... I went to Walmart and bought a whole town's worth of tents in addition to my pop-up and I kid you not... it happened all over again, it even washed out a historic footbridge in the park. This time we had four generations in total chaos at camp. It rained so hard we were cooking and serving food out of the pop-up like it was a food stand at a fair. Even at it's worst camping is a win. It took an entire year to start laughing this one off, but it was well worth the failed effort. Camping brings out the best in people. It's the whole team work thing that brings it all together I think. So I guess our tradition is floods. Lol

Redbird234, MaeKay, Pommom70 and 8 others like this.
  13. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Our little tradition is we hit the gas station right before the highway, and get *CANDY*. All of us, Mom, Dad, and the two little ones. (Tradition started since this is where I used to buy my ice, but now we are iceless, we still stop and get the candy)

MaeKay, Tulip and HappyTraveler like this.
  14. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We took our three year old grand daughter camping with us over memorial day. Now she can't quit talking about it whenever she sees our camper. Hopefully, her love of it will continue as she grows older.

15. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Our kids love it too. No question it will be one of their favorite memories of their childhood.

MaeKay likes this.
  16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I like fermented grape.

MaeKay and neighbormike like this.
  17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Took my niece camping when she was like 10 in my new to me camper. Well stupid me miss judged how long the power cord was after I set up. So I didn't have power. Also discovered my battery power wasn't working. So ended up not having any power at all that weekend. Just lantern light. Our entertainment was shadow puppets on the wall of the camper by lantern light. Dinner I made pizza in my Dutch oven over campfire. While we were sitting around the fire waiting for our food my niece exclaims with a big smile, "I feel like a pioneer". Man do I miss those days. She is 15 yo now and comes with all the classic teenager mouth, rolling eyes, and the know it all phase. Glued to the phone. I'm going to take her camping next month and going to need all my patience. However the fact she wants to come is what tells me she really enjoys it even if she can't admit it allowed.

18. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

That is awesome, all 3 of my grandkids love camping with us, we have bunk beds in our travel trailer that they love, but they love the outdoors more. S’mores are what they love along with sitting by the camp fire. Now we sometimes take one of them for some special time camping alone with us and they always ask when is it my turn?We love it! Hopefully it will carry through in their teenaged years. We also do a electronics free camping with them.

MaeKay, Tulip and Minimalist like this.
  19. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

When kids are playing outside, multiple growth is occurring. Social skills, engineering, organizing, creative thinking, hands on experience...

Camping enhances this. They are exploring and gaining independence. Freedom to grow :)

jackquontee and MaeKay like this.
  20. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I couldn't have said it better. Give them an alternative to the electronic world.