Parker Damn PA SP - Elk viewing in September

Dave Moz

Jul 15, 2021
Hello all.
Heading to Parker Dam State Park in Pennsylvania in September for a long weekend with the goal of seeing some elk.
While there are plenty of sites that offer advice, was hoping for some personal recommendations on best spots.

Have you seen elk in the SP?
Where did you go to see elk?
Any recommendations for down home dinner/lunch spots in the area?
Thoughts on Parker Dam SP in general?

Thanks in advance!

shelmily

Super Active Member
Jun 7, 2012
Northeast Pennsylvania
Dave, I have been to Parker Dam state park several times, however it has been 5 years since we were last there. We have always stayed in a cabin when we go to view the elk, and not in the camper. The park itself is very nice. Although I have never had the camper there, I have walked through the campground. It is well taken care of, with a mix of site sizes. I have never seen elk in the park though. We have always got up early in the morning (4:00 am), and driven to Benezette to view them. It is about a half hour or so drive. There are plenty of viewing areas there, plus the welcome center is worth checking out. It is well worth getting up and going though. Nothing gets your heart going like hearing them snort and bugle in dense fog early in the morning. They do walk everywhere through the town, and it gets very busy there, so plan accordingly.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Just throwing this out there if your willing to take a longer trip. The Great Smokey Mountains in the Cataloochee area has a large herd of elk. it was fascinating to watch them.

Latest posts