Parking/moving camper on sloped driveway?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Enigmacamper, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Hello all! Our driveway is fairly sloped, not dramatic but definitely a hill (though not too bad at the top by the garage) but a big concern I have is #1 moving camper out of garage into driveway (for using the garage occasionally for woodwork etc., it's just a 1 car garage)...aka, how do you make SURE it doesn't get away from you and run down the driveway into the neighbors property across the street (always use the car to move it?). And #2, how do you secure it there so again it can't possibly get away and hurt anyone?

For reference, I do not own this camper yet but we are considering an Aliner Scout...about 1,500 lbs. If anyone has any experience with the Aliner's regular axle vs the off-road model and clearances on hills I'd love to hear it too. I'm not sure if we need the off-road model to get up our driveway or not.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Chock the wheels before unhooking it from TV, also if it has a wheel on the front jack chock it too.
    I once had one get away from me in a campground, luckily the man cutting the grass hooked up to it and pulled it back up the hill for me, and nothing was damaged. I did away with the wheel on front after that and always chock before hooking up.

3. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

If you're moving the camper out of the garage with your tow vehicle, just put tire chocks around each tire before you unhitch. Easier still, leave it hitched to your TV until you move it back inside the garage.

4. Enigmacamper

Do the chocks WORK...as in they don't slip or slide in snow even? I want to make sure there's no way this trailer moves.

5. Enigmacamper

So it's sounding like it's unsafe to try to take it out by hand, i.e. not with the TV. Even though it's plenty light enough to move it by hand with the hill am I correct that there's no way to do it safely?

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Even if you move it out and down the hill by hand safely, you probably can't push it back up the hill by hand.

7. Enigmacamper

I was thinking of just pulling it out of the garage, not necessarily down the driveway. There is about maybe 12' up there that is only slightly sloped.

8. nineoaks2004

If you chock it correctly it will not move..

9. Enigmacamper

Fantastic, that's what I was hoping. What are the techniques for chocking it "correctly"? I'm a total newbie, I don't want to do it wrong. Is there a specific chock that is superior or more reliable?

10. xxxapache

Since the ground is flat, I would put a landscape timber down where I want the trailer to stop and pull it out by hand. Then, chock the wheels after I get it there.

11. chambo

chambo Active Member

It can be done with enough people. I've done it with a light PUP and a not-so-steep driveway. All depends on how many hands you've got available and if the risk is acceptable. If you're talking snow conditions I would probably use the TV and not have to worry about it.

12. nineoaks2004

I make my own out of 4X4 about 6-8" long and one end cut at a 45 degree angle, I have tried the plastic ones but they are not nearly as strong or last as long as the 4X4,

13. coney

coney New Member

Silly Question. Big 40 ton tractor trailer trucks use chocks

14. xxxapache

I have 4x4 wood chocks all around my yard. I have 3 trailers and use them in different places in the yard or driveway often.

15. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

You can also attached a chain or rope to the frame (not just the bumper) and then to something in the garage with enough slack to get it where you want it, but not enough to let it roll much further in case it gets away from you. It doesn't take being out of alignment by much to miss the chocks.

16. world traveler

world traveler Active Member

Timothy Little and Enigmacamper like this.
  17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We had a drive that had a nice grade that I also need to start turning it once outside the garage. If I pulled the camper out of the garage by myself with the wheel on the tongue jack. Once it was out it was rolling by itself. The trick I found was to have 3 chock's sitting on the propane tank. Since I was pushing on the jack to steer the camper I had the chock's where I could reach them. When I wanted to stop the camper because it was starting to go to fast or it was in the right spot. I would place one 3 to 6 inches in front of the jack wheel and it would roll up the the chock and stop. When in the final spot I would leave that chock and then chock both tires.

FYI If you lose it, pull the emergency brake break-away-cable.

18. Enigmacamper

I had not thought about the breakaway switch, interesting!

19. Enigmacamper

That's a good idea too...at least would keep a "maximum distance". Thanks!

20. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

The Little Rascals demonstrate the importance of trailer brakes on a hill ... "Hill? What hill?"