Parking on grass for the winter

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by bknjohnson, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Mofonator

Mofonator New Member

I am in Ottawa, so the winters include a fair bit of snow. I am thinking of parking it on a tarp that covers half gravel, half grass. I have a temporary shelter as well to keep the snow off, and around it. Should that be enough to keep the moisture out as long as the seals around the pup are good? Someone mentioned painting the under side of the floor as well. I think mine already is painted, but I'll check. Any thoughts on that?

I am also concerned about mice. I've heard they don't like fabric softener sheets. Any one else hear that?

James

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

ohhhh the bottom of wood should not be painted at all. It is designed to allow the wood to dry. When the bottom is painted, it would trap the moisture in the wood thus causing rot. Mine is unpainted since 2002 and it is doing a superb job keeping the wood dry.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

There are many pictures on line of mouse nests built out of fabric softener sheets.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have been a victim of Dryer Sheet eating rodents. The little buggers used it for nesting!

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Myths will continue to be repeated.