Parking popup at hotels

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Brundell, May 26, 2021.

1. Brundell

Brundell New Member

We are going on a cross country trip this summer and we are heading from Maryland to Yellowstone with stops along the way. Our first couple stops are just at hotels so that we can get moving to the Midwest.
    What do you do with the camper while at the hotel. Are they ok with a popup in their parking lot. Can we unhitch it to drive around the area? What have other people done when traveling with your popup but are staying at a hotel?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I would keep the trailer hitched at all times..

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Call the hotel and see what they recommend.

silvermickey2002 and kitphantom like this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We only stayed in a hotel once with the popup. it was a hotel with a huge parking log, and we asked where they wanted us to park. We did leave it hitched, the hotel had a good restaurant, so we didn't need to run any errands.
    I know some will unhitch but I'd make sure of the area. (Full disclosure, I live in Albuquerque, trailers of all sorts get stolen on a regular basis from hotels in some areas of town.)

Hilldweller and Rik Peery like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would call the hotel to verify. We once drove to Louisiana with an 18 passenger van. One of the hotels we were going to stay at could not fit our vehicle. However because we were only going to be there for four hours they allowed us to park along their curb in front. So if you explain your situation they may be able to make accomodations or know of a nearby parking lot you can go. You may luck out and find a large shopping center nearby. I agree to try to keep your vehicle connected if possible.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree with @Snow

I'd really try to keep it hitched for security reasons. When you park in the hotel, ask the desk if its okay to park towards the back of the lot with it hitched (and locked, of course). If you need to drive around, and you're sure you're going to get into places you just can't have a trailer, then make sure you bring some sort of trailer coupler lock. You want to deter opportunistic thieves and PUPs are a hot commodity now for the Crossover SUV camping set.

If you stay at motels off the highway with sizable parking areas, you'll be fine. You're not the only one who is traveling with trailers or big trucks... it is PCS season for the military, and they too are land mobile with trailers in tow. Motels just off the highway are generally used to it.

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We've been doing this for years for overnights on longer trips. We always contact the hotel directly, by phone to make sure it's ok with them as part of the pre-trip planning. We haven't yet had to unhitch, but that makes it a little difficult if you want to go out to eat in the evening. You can almost always order in for delivery to the motel, pizza if nothing else is available. Many motels on the edge of town will have designated parking for trailers and oversized trucks, sometimes it's just an open lot. Sometimes you have to park across several spaces on the edge of the lot, I always angle the truck so that I can get out without having to back up.

8. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I wouldn't unhitch it...I would leave it hitched with a lock on it.

J Starsky likes this.
  9. Brundell

Brundell New Member

Thanks for the responses, this is helpful. We have decided that we won't unhitch our pop up. I have also called the hotel to see if they were ok with us parking it and they said it would be fine.
    What do you use to secure the pop up even when hitched to tow vehicle? Do people put chains through wheels or what should we be doing?

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

You can put your stabilizers down. Put a flag on the steering wheel to remind you to raise the stabilizers before moving.

11. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

12. craig heaton

craig heaton Member

We stayed at a quality inn overnight on our trip back from NC (had planned on a campground, but rainy weather changed my plans). We left our hitched. I spent quite a bit of time pouring over google earth checking out the parking lots of various hotels to make sure parking wouldn't be a problem. (Beware that some hotels may claim to have bus / trailer parking, but looking at google earth shows that they have perhaps just one, maybe two spots which could be taken when you arrive).

As to security, we kept ours hitched and I was sure to check on it during the overnight when I took the dog out for a bathroom break.

13. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

If you do park it, and you have a fridge on 12v during travel, remember to switch it back to propane and/or disconnect your 7pin. You risk a dead tv battery in addition to draining your pup!

teh603 and kcsa75 like this.
  14. craig heaton

craig heaton Member

I'd go further and say switch it off (or to propane). I once disconnected just the 7 pin and I suspect the fridge then just switched to the camper battery. No harm done since it was only an hour stop but something to be aware of.

15. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I stayed once at a hotel on way to campground. Checked with manager about parking it. Turned out to be just a grassy area, but it was pull through so easy. Places used to boating & boat towing Nearby are your best bets. Shop for an in-room picnic at the local Squall-mart or similar before settling in is easier than unhitching to go out.

16. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Not necessarily Germaine to the parking in a hotel parking lot conversation but I disconnect the power to the roof winch switch. I just picture some kid looking at the switch on the tongue and asking "wonder what that does" and destroying the lifter springs or cable.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Call the hotel and tell them you have a camper and where can you park it!! We have done that before and they were very accommodating! We have stayed at hotels that are big rig friendly. That means they have spots for tractor trailers.

18. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

When we stayed at one hotel, they said - "park it out front" (where we can see it). Other time we parked out back, and another case we parked in the general lot. In either case - no big deal. Our Aliner folds up flat, its not a great theft target.

19. RCmom

RCmom Active Member

I've been thinking of mounting a video doorbell to the front of my pup for situations like this. I also have locking coupler and receiver pins. The video would be useful just in case.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Better to mount a rear dash cam in the vehicle and wire it for sentry mode.