Partial floor replacement

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by jjmac, Feb 11, 2018.

1. jjmac

jjmac Member

So who else has the same problem as me? I go in to a project expecting to fix something simple, in this case it was repairing a couple of latches on the storage box. By evening the storage box was completely ripped off, toilet/shower and half the back end of the camper removed lol

So basically last camping trip I had a SPUT. 2 latches on the storage box weren't working, so I just bungeed the box down and tightened up the other 2. Only I forgot to latch the other 2! The wind got a hold of it and just ripped up the ABS lid. Ugh. So I was going to build a new lid.

I knew there was some water damage on the floor under the storage box when I bought the camper, which is common for this model, but as I was investigating and it was bad. I figured it's winter let's go ahead and knock this out now. Went ahead and booked a trip in March to keep myself motivated!

I'll keep this thread updated with pictures as I go along. The current plan is to take out about 2 feet of bad wood from the floor, replace it, rebuild the shelf unit and seal off the front of the camper. I'm getting rid of the storage box and I'm going to but a cargo carrier in front (I already have an old one I figured I would use it instead of buying a toolbox). I'll also mount a few waterproof smaller toolboxes somewhere.

First question: What kind of plywood should I buy to use on the flooring? My first thought was treated plywood but I seem to recall reading somewhere that you don't want to use treated wood that will be in contact with the steel frame. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

If you want to deal with the price, marine plywood would be my choice. Having said that, I used 3/4 inch flooring and coated the underside when I rebuilt my box's floor...

3. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

What did you use to coat the underside of the pup? I've been thinking about that to protect the exposed wood from road grime and water.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

5. jjmac

jjmac Member

Awesome I'll check out both prices today and see which one to go with. I like the idea of the undercoating, didn't realize they made such a thing.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

7. jjmac

jjmac Member

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Before you undercoat ....... paint ......Glidden Gripper is an excellent primer-sealer ..

theseus and omahadlr like this.
  9. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Keep in mind, that Fleetwood and Weyrhauser(supplier of Structurwood OSB product that Fleetwood used for flooring, bunks and bracing) didn't recommend undercoating. It will not allow the floor to breathe and allow any leaks/spills to dry out.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Twitchrider likes this.
  10. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Yes jjmac after doing some reading online I'm not going to undercoat.

11. jjmac

jjmac Member

ahh very good point.

12. jjmac

jjmac Member

Got a little bit done today, removed the bad wood and put in a new piece. It fit together pretty well, I used 3M 5200 marine caulk to join them together. I'll probably put some braces on the bottom as well. Started working on cutting out the pieces to rebuild the cabinet.

omahadlr likes this.
  13. jjmac

jjmac Member

Been working as time allows. Got panels cut out and a first coat of paint for rebuilding the cabinet, been slow going with cold, rainy and humid weather. Welded together a frame that will hold the front together, bonus pic of my 12 year old helping me. Got the flooring in, rebuilt the shower base and put it in for a dry fit.

Attached Files:

14. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Looks like you got it all under control!
    I have my roof in the garage now. It's been raining. Had it covered but, it still got wet.

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Looking good Josh!

16. jjmac

jjmac Member

Welded a frame together to house the water heater and started putting the cabinet together.

Attached Files:

jnc likes this.
  17. jjmac

jjmac Member

Put together what will be the new front of the camper, pieced together an inside panel, finished installing everything on the inside and got the inside panel put in. Just about ready to put the front outside panel on.

On a side note I found some really cool stuff, appliance enamel. It's water resistant and goes on like a hard plastic coating almost like truck bed liner. I used a light coat to brighten up the shower/tub combo, it looks new now.

18. jjmac

jjmac Member

I added a light to the back of the camper, and figured I'd replace the porch light to match, the original one was missing the cover. When I pulled it out this is what I saw. That's not dirt. Those are spider carcasses!

Then I put in the front panel, lights, cargo carrier, water heater and tool boxes. Thinking about putting a fishing pole rack here too.

omahadlr likes this.
  19. RPD3D

RPD3D New Member

Looks great. I have a new camper to me and I am going to have to rebuild front box. I might go with your idea!

What is the silver thing under light on front wall?

20. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Looks like a left-right level.

I like it also - Just noticed how soft and rotten the wood is in the corner of my front storage box...

Was your water heater in the front storage box before, or was it inside in one of the cabinets? I can't quite tell where your framed water heater ended up...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018