Patagonia Lake Nogales AZ

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by sallugo, Sep 29, 2014.

1. sallugo

sallugo Member

Just got back from a quick trip to Patagonia Lake. The lake is beautiful and a great hang out! Your are able to do lots of lake activities: kayak, paddle boat, fishing, and even have a beach to swim. You can rent boating type equipment in case you don't have. You can even rent a pontoon!!!!

There is a great bird trail you can hike and is awesome! Unfortunately we did not see many birds, but can definitely be heard.

We were on site 29. All the sites on this loop are well spaced and have a picnic table and fire ring/grill. The sites are pretty level and looking at other sites around this loop, minimal leveling blocks needed.

I have a reservation for next weekend and we are at site 45. We took a stroll to the site and found it to be smaller but had a wonderful land of grass behind. This site is very close to the beach!!! Looking forward to next weekend with some camping buddies!!

Great place and would definitely recommend! Only drawback...many, many Mosquitos. Be prepared!!! [emoji6]

Here are some pics I took with my phone but have more from my camera I haven't uploaded yet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d
    2004 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4L
    Sent from my iPhone

2. Pockets

Pockets Member

Great photos and it looks like that's a nice campground. I've wondered about camping there, as it might be a nice change to go south for our winter camping. Can you get reservations or is it "first come first served?"

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Yup, Patagonia is nice and we like to go when the weather breaks for lower elevation camping. Wife was down there some time back with her 400mm L glass getting a very rare shot of the Blue Footed Booby. Only the 8th on record for Arizona and the 1st for S.E. Arizona.

http://birdaddiction.weebly.com/1/category/bluefooted%20boobycc074165d8/1.html

We were thinking of hitting Sunny Flat near Portal this weekend but the forest service has it temp. closed and I bet it was due to all the heavy rain as of late. Bummer...I'll call em tomorrow, see what's up.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coronado/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=25428&actid=62

P.S. Nice and fun pics there!

4. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

We stayed a weekend at Patagonia Lake SP in the spring of 2012. Very nice campground in a scenic locale. We didn't spend much time at the park because we used it as a jumping off point for visiting the nearby Sonoita/Elgin wine country.

As to the question about reservations - Yes, they take reservations. I like the AZ State Park on-line reservation system. A map is displayed of available sites and some of them you can click and see a photo of the campsite.

We stayed in site #14 which is in the east loop, nicely isolated and right by the lake. All sites have electric and water hookups.

Here are a few photos:

Site 14
    [​IMG]

Picnic Area
    [​IMG]

Lake view
    [​IMG]

Footbridge
    [​IMG]

Colorful wildlife
    [​IMG]

More pics from our southern Arizona visit here:
    http://www.pbase.com/teejaywhy/patagonia

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. Always a nice thing when site members review campgrounds for the benefit of other site members.

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Great Cardinal shot. Got the eye glint real well. What's your camera/lens?

7. sallugo

sallugo Member

It's not a first come first served...you can reserve online. It was $30.00.

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d
    2004 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4L
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Pockets

Pockets Member

Thank you!

9. gjamamama

gjamamama Member

We visited in February 2018 and had a great time. This is a beautiful place to visit and there is a lot to do. Weather can be cold in winter, but it can also be really nice, as was our experience. Just check ahead of time. Don't assume that just because it's SE AZ it will be hot!
    Here's our latest attempt at a helpful CG review: