Pawl or spring issue?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by frankenkat, Aug 10, 2013.

1. frankenkat

frankenkat New Member

We just bought a 2002 Coleman Laramie. This is our first popup and we're a little confused by the lift. When we were breaking the trailer down with the PO, she said the guy that she bought the camper from was able to crank the roof down with no issues (she watched him do this). She was never able to get it to work like he did. Her "trick" for lowering was to use a screwdriver to release the pawl(?) from the gear and crank the roof down.
    We popped it up at home this morning to clean it out and make repairs. We went to close everything up (severe thunderstorm rolling in) and sure enough I couldn't crank the roof down. I used a mechanics mirror and a curved screwdriver and was able to disengage the pawl(?) from the gear and lower the roof.
    It is definitely ratcheting on the way up, but I can't get the crank to move counterclockwise (even with the roof only partially raised). I have to crank it down it's not free floating.
    I've tried to read around the forum,but I'm not having much luck finding an answer to this issue.
    1) Does the Coleman lift repair manual on this site cover the 2002 Coleman's (I didn't see a listing of what years were covered)

2) I don't feel a "stop" at the top. We cranked until the canvas was tight. Should I loosen the Velcro on the canvas at the bottom and try to over crank to reset the clutch (not sure if this is the right thing to do with our model)

Thanks for your help!

2. frankenkat

frankenkat New Member

I was able to solve the problem. I reviewed a few solutions on the site and discovered I wasn't getting my free crank spins when lifting. The hub extension had gotten locked closed. I locked off the drive shaft with a pair of vise grips and used a pipe wrench to loosen the gold rod and voila, the top is raising and lowering as expected.

3. xshield

xshield New Member

You ought to post a few pics to help others that encounter same issue. I think I understand what your explaining but nothing says it bettter than pics. [CAM]