Pay Showers?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Tom Jordan, Jul 31, 2020.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

In Nebraska... State parks do have some pay showers...take quarters like at a car wash..some have change machines.
    We keep quarters in our shower bags at all times.
    The change machines are usually empty or spit your dollar back out half the time.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. Derek S

Derek S New Member

This is funny stuff! I have never encountered pay showers in the Southeast so far... I have read many comments about quick showers or water shutting off as you soap up. I'm a US Navy "Tin Can" Veteran. We produced our fresh water onboard, and to conserve water the crew was encouraged to take 3 minute showers while at sea. We "paid" for our showers by standing watches and performing our regular work duties. The boilers always had priority over the crew (of course). During one "shortage", the engineers switched the crew showers to seawater. How refreshing! This is the true meaning of "Salt Life". Anyone else experience this?

3. Makani

Makani New Member

Here in Utah, National Parks and some state parks (Yuba lake). The showers are free at Yuba Lake.

4. Emerson

Emerson New Member

Only had one campground so far where pay showers were a thing. Mid-Michigan as well but way to the East, on the Rifle River. It’s a private campground and the shower operated in quarters, similar to a do-it-yourself car wash. Unfortunately, the water never got warm. Come to find out, water heater broke and they didn’t tell us o_O

I’ve never encountered a pay shower at any of our state parks yet.

5. don evans

don evans New Member

I remember many years ago the MN state parks had them. You put a quarter in and got 5 min or so of hot water. You could get all the cold water you wanted for free if you were cheap and quite hearty. A few years ago we stayed out on cape cod near Provincetown and if I recall they had them there as well.

6. Erin1021

Erin1021 New Member

We didn’t even know pay showers were a thing until this past week! We were at a private campground at the Jersey Shore. It wasn’t cheap per night either. They had no signs or info in their rule/info book. Just a big surprise when my kids and I got in the shower. .25 for 3 mins.

7. Fil_Kay

Fil_Kay Member

Encountered my first pay shower this past weekend at the Shubie Campground in NS, Canada; $1 for 4 minutes, IIRC. Having said that, this was only the second trip with the PUP, and the last one was to a KOA site not too far from here; based on the other responses, it sounds like the KOA sites may have "free" showers, although you may be paying for the showers in your site fees. I would assume that most places that have an actual pool would have non-pay showers (I think most people would want a rinse after a swim), but that's purely speculation. I once knew someone who lived out of an old Westfalia that had a monthly membership to the local rec centres, and would simply go there for a shower (and quick swim) when needed.

Having said that, our PUP has a built-in shower, so that's what I used this past weekend. I'm trying to get into the habit of conserving water in the PUP (even when connected to services), and have done the navy shower thing before, so I had no issues using the built-in shower.

8. phxross

phxross New Member Silver Supporting Member

I bought some washing clothes off Amazon (for use after surgery when you can't shower) that I used when showers we're closed early in the season. Our pop-up had a "shoilet" but we have only used the toilet (cassette) thus far.

mandolinpicker likes this.
  9. BigNick

BigNick New Member

The only place I have really ever seen pay showers around Illinois/Missouri is when we go on float trips, where Saturday afternoon when people get off the river...they might not be in the best shape and might forget to turn the water off. Mostly you see the timed showers where you have to hit the button every 2 minutes or so.

10. Luck7s717

Luck7s717 Member

Thats too funny, I was just talking to my son about this over the weekend while we were complaining about the push button showers at our CG.

11. Ken Brenny

Ken Brenny New Member

I have been to 2 campgrounds just recently that had pay showers:
    1) Fox Den Acres, New Stanton Pennsylvania: $0.25 for 10 minutes
    2) JellyStone Park Mill Run, Mill Run Pennsylvania: The showers near Cindy Bear Lane are $0.25 for 5 minutes. However, all of the other showers in the park are free. I was told that this was the last "older" bathroom that has not yet been renovated to eliminate the pay box.

12. AMC

AMC Member

The unwashed! LOL

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Orchid and HappyTraveler like this.
  13. mark30

mark30 Member

Some Alberta Provincial Parks have them. Cost is $1 (loonie coin) for a decent length shower.

14. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I've never encountered them either. At Yellowstone we camped at Madison which didn't have showers... we went to Old Faithful where they said you could shower for $5. The lady at the desk when we went to pay quietly just told us that "if it were her she would just go use them" so we didn't even end up paying.

For 2-3 night trips we typically don't even shower so if it were to bring the cost per night down, I'd be all for them. We just got back from GSMNP where they don't have showers at all. During our hot, humid week long trip we got by with sponge baths (and the kids swam in the river a couple times)

15. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Our son was a Navy Nuke on a Fast Attack sub. He tells a story that when something failed or went down they were told to not take showers. Of course all the guys rushed to get a shower in b/c they didn't know how long they'd be without. Mind you, b/c they were FA, they were "hot bunking", so I guess they wanted to limit the "sharing" as much as they could. And of course, Sailor Boy also tells us that there is a very unique smell that can only be found on a boat.

16. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

The only place I've encountered them in 40 years is at the private campground I'm currently at. 8 minutes for $ .50. I seldom camp at private campgrounds, so maybe its more common than I thought.

17. chick-a-go

chick-a-go New Member

I have encountered them: a campground in Virginia...I think it was a state park; at state parks in Washington; at a private campground in California in the Sierra Nevada; and I was just reading about them at a private campground on Cape Cod. I always read the website carefully before traveling and have always found that that explains the status of showers. The ones I have encountered mostly take quarters. Seems like for the one in California you had to buy tokens... It's been a while since I was on the west coast. Happy camping!

18. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Two places in particular that stand out for us.... Bar Harbor/ Acadia National Park and The Jersey shore. In one CG in Bar Harbor, you purchased tokens at the store, and in the other and in NJ used quarters. Both worked off a washing machine coin box.
    Fine by us. plenty of time and the missus and the kids have a lot of hair.

19. wusthof

wusthof Active Member

WA state parks have em. From what I remember, cheap and they're hot

20. Lisa Busch

Lisa Busch New Member

We have only stayed in-state in our pop up, Tennessee, and stay almost exclusively at State Parks or TVA campgrounds; they are reasonable priced and all have free showers (although Norris Dam State Park, the one campground only has 4 shower/toilet combos for, what, 25 campsites...and that was the campground that go more tents/pop ups, versus the campground closer to the dam that got more RVs, so the lines at night......sigh!! And if you have to pee, you might as well go out in the woods, because there are no stand-alone toilets). We like the stake parks for their facilities and that for the most part the campsites are a good variety of shaded versus unshaded. And none have paid showers (although some are still in need of upgrades...I hate having to bed over backwards to wash my hair!!)

In my youth, living on Lake Huron/Georgian Bay, in Canada, my best friend and I used to tent camp, and came upon paid showers at one campsite...well, we were broke, so rather than scrape up the change for that, we took our soap and our shampoo and went swimming. Worked well. LOL (Today, I know that's bad for the environment, but back then, it was the logical solution!!)