Peel off "wood" paper or paint over???

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Ecyla1492, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Ecyla1492

Ecyla1492 New Member

I'm ready to do some painting, but I'm not sure how to prepare. Should I peel ALL the wood paper off or just paint over all of it? I assume it will look weird with such large pieces missing. Other suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Is it smooth we’re the “paper” is missing? Usually it’s not. Removing the the paper may make it even worse. I would do a test spot to see how the paint soaks in and how it looks when it’s dry first.

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

It may absorb the paint and swell!

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even think about painting over paper. It needs to be removed. Wall paper remover or steam and then sand the wood, prime and paint. Why do it Half Fast.

5. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Personally i would start with new cabinets...Anywhere that the particle/fiberboard is exposed will soak up the paint
    and dry flat and you will end up with dry dull spots next to shiny spots on the rest.
    Paint will not hold up on the spots you haven't touched....Remember a pop up is a small space and things get bumped into and
    kicked.
    Cabinets would not be all that expensive and with virtually no camping right now you will have time.

jacinda and BBQdave like this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

don't replace them unless you feel that you need to. There are easy paint solutions. I would try "soaking" off the fake wood paper with a damp sponge.. BTW - blue masking tape tends to peel it right off (*which really p....d me off at the time).

7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I don't believe that would be a "wall paper" in your camper. Its more likely a plastic covering that's glued on and not water soluble. Water does not do particle boards any good. You might want to sand it a bit and paint it. Personally, I'd call it a good ol camper and leave it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    akriot likes this.
  8. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

+1

If you have the time and this is a fun project, I would consider replacing the particle board cabinets with real wood cabinets :)

Arlyn Aronson and James Rucker like this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Our fake wood feels like paper, but may be plastic. Its about one atom thick.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You sre caught in a bad spot. And what people said is correct. The end game is what are you looking for? Spruced up or brand new? Peel back whats comming off. Leave the rest. Paint with an encapsulateing type primer. This should seal the paper and plastic coating. Spackle out the transitions and the paint it. Will it be perfect, no. It cant look worse. So i would try that.

Ecyla1492 and Artist60164 like this.
  11. Old School Rob

Old School Rob Member

Most Paper/plastic finish adhesive can be softened with a heat gun. Peel of the material, sand, prime, sand, then paint.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You are probably right about being vinyl "paper" in which case wall paper remover will do no good. I stand by the rest of what I said.
    I didn't see the pics when I posted, I thought it was PO installed.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    hammb likes this.
  13. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

For the cost of paint and labor involved i would get new cabinets.
    One big bonus of that is you can put it back together and customize the best way
    that works for you...You may decide to go with less cabinets...More cabinets or somewhere in between.
    I cant see the floor real well but wood or laminate flooring wood be cheap and easy with cabinets removed.

14. Sjm9911

100 bucks worth of paint and like 6 hours over 2 days to paint it, or new cabinets. For some its a bit daunting installing cabinites. Ive done a lot of them( in homes), and to be honest, unless you build in place in the pup, i wouldn't do it. In fact i didn't. I painted mine. I didnt want to mess with the flip over galley and the cassette tolet and shower. And besides, most have time now. Its how much money do you want to put into it ,vs what its worth to you.

kmbarreiros and Ecyla1492 like this.
  15. Ecyla1492

Ecyla1492 New Member

16. Ecyla1492

Ecyla1492 New Member

Despite popular opinion, this is the route I plan to take. I have been scraping any paper that comes off easily and then spackling transitions. I don't want to spend the time trying to get it all off. I bought an oil based primer sealer. Hopefully that'll do the trick!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

We used Zinsser 123 oil based primer/ 2 coats, then sanded the damaged panels down to somewhat close to smooth, dry, then primed the damaged panels again, dry, light sand to smooth, then painted with 2 coats of gloss. We know where to look for the old damage but a visitor wouldn't likely be able to tell. Also, check your cabinet door measurements. you may find quite a few doors that are the same dimensions that would allow you to change their positions and put the worst doors in the least visible positions. All you would need to do is re-position the hardware.

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would use eggshell paint. It's near flat, but can be washed. The higher the gloss the more the imperfections of the doors, wood grain and paper will be amplified by the paint.

19. Sjm9911

But the higher the gloss the more durable the paint is.

20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

That not correct, I use to think that. It's the quality of the paint and what application the paint is designed for that make the durable. Flat does not wash well but everything from eggshell to high gloss washes. I always check with a paint pro at sherwin williams, or if a big box store has a ex-painter in the paint department.