People walking through your campsite?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Rkcampers, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Rkcampers

Rkcampers Member

We were in a spot that had trees all around except the entrance and one trail that led to a road. We didn't think much of it until we started to have a stream of traffic walking through our site. this site was very narrow and after our screen enclosure there was about 3 feet before the woods. We finally put up a rope and a sign to please use other trail. I don't mind people (well maybe I do) but not close enough to just look in your windows right next to the camper. What are your opinions of this?

Smirlj likes this.
  2. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

We usually put up ropes and hang our towel on the rope to dry. This also acts as a wall to keep people from cutting through. It is mostly kids that cut through our campsite.

Smirlj likes this.
  3. mandinga

mandinga Member

I have had it happen at only one place. There was a trail that ran behind, and people would cut through. One guy came through on his bike and seemed upset that my dog approached his dog. We did like others have stated, we put a rope up with towels, and leaned a log up to hide the path.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

This is one of my pet peeves. It seems like even the most beginner camper should understand personal space of some sort. If it's kids, I will often say something. I'm sure I'm probably thought of as the crabby old lady. A couple of years ago, I had a kid come within a few inches of running between the site picnic table, and my shade structure, which was tied off to the table (much easier that trying to move the table solo to put stakes into the ground). If I get a chance, I'll say something about the campsite being our living room, and did they want someone wandering through their living room?

We almost never put up ropes, since it's not practical in many of the places we go.

I think there are some posts on the subject here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=269.0

NM_Alien likes this.
  5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Wow, I've never had that happen. They'd be hearing some words from me. If someone wants to come onto the site to talk and say hi, thats one thing, but if they are strangers just cutting through, forget it. Go around, thats what everybody else does.

6. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

We had a tent site in Yellowstone that was pure hell. The bathroom short cut went right through it. Scared me half to death waking up to someone who tripped on our guy line for the tent.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

7. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I had a situation happened last year. It's no fun. I was worried my Honda 2000i gennie would get up and walk away. Good thing DH keeps it locked down.

My goal is to camp away from camping grounds, the crowds and grouchy camp hosts.

Happy Camping... [ALPU] [PUT]

8. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

I've had it happen a few times. They usually seem they are clueless rather than rude.

Also returned to our site to find a couple watching the sunset over the lake on a rock that was in our area. We let them have their moment.

We occasionally give neighbors the go ahead to access the lake via our site if their site isn't water front and ours is.

9. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I agree it is annoying and rude, when people cut through my site. However, I have stayed at several campgrounds where there was no legitimate trail to the bathhouse.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

^^^^ This! ^^^^^

It's even causes me anxiety to think about it. Even if a person had never seen a campground before in their life, I feel like there is no excuse. It's a matter of common sense. It's like cutting through someone's yard.

This has only happened to us on a couple of occasions because most state parks are laid out to discourage it, and that is our primary camping venue.

Honestly, I think this bothers me so much because we lived on a lake for a year. Most of the lake was surrounded with homes, private property, with one small public beach area. We were constantly looking out to see people in our backyard fishing. In the winter, they would come sled down the hill (our back yard) and onto the frozen lake.

People have so much brazen nerve! It was a beautiful place, but I couldn't stand it due to the stead stream of trespassers. We only lasted a bit over a year and sold the place as soon as it hit the market. The neighbors didn't have a much of a problem because they didn't have as big of a yard or as steep of a hill. People thought that we couldn't see them from the house. UGH [V] [V] [V]

11. hwy395lvr

hwy395lvr New Member

I only seem to encounter encroachers at beachfront sites along the So. Cal. coast. The worst offenders are the families with small children who have an inland site then have no problem using your waterfront site as their own day-use area. Not to mention others who can't walk the extra twenty feet to use the sidewalk between sites and just cut through yours. I'm a nonconfrontational person usually but don't leave your damn trash or barking dog near my site or you will see my ugly side. We did,however,come back from lunch one day to find a guy about my age taking in the view next to our fire ring. I asked him sarcastically if I could get him a beer or anything. He said "sure...an IPA if you have one". We both laughed. Turns out he too is a transplanted New Englander and Red Sox fan. He and his wife now join us a couple of times a year camping in different areas.

12. Orchid

That's where we encounter the problem, here in Florida, as well. Fort DeSoto is a great place, but we always reserve water sites, and the people with inland sites think they can just make themselves at home. I honestly have no problem with people wanting to launch and beach kayaks from our site, if they ask first. But the ones that just think it's fine to impose are the ones I kick back to the curb.

Mongo71 likes this.
  13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I am to the point where I pick sites that do not look like people will try to walk through them.

I'll come to realize some people are just plain stupid and no rational discussion or comment sinks in with them.

1) People walking through my site UNDER MY CANOPY
    2) Putting rope up and having people duck under it
    3) Having a "clothesline fence" 4 feel off the ground with towels TOUCHING THE GROUND the length of it and having people still cut through it.
    4) People tying their dog so it can only cr@p on my site and no where near their stuff while they are off doing something.

Smirlj likes this.
  14. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

It happened to me twice. First time was a couple of young kids maybe 7-8 years old. I didn't say anything. The second time it was a pair of teens. They looked at me with a "I dare you to say anything" attitude. I didn't say anything. The next day I was outside my pup finishing up a project I had started at home hand carving a pair of grips to replace the cheap plastic ones on my semi-auto. The teens came by again and saw the pistol laying on the picnic table and quickly changed course. They never even came close after that. I don't recommend displaying a weapon to maintain privacy but it sure did the trick.

15. Orchid

I don't say anything to kids either. It's up to their parents to teach them proper etiquette, but certainly not their fault that their parents failed to do so.

16. Jeramiah Johnson

Jeramiah Johnson New Member

Unfortunately, our world is becoming more crowded. We all head out to camp for the same reasons peace and quiet. Getting harder to find either or of those things anymore. I've found off the grid camping to be less congested and more rewarding.

Alan likes this.
  17. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Agreed. Seems this problem would fix itself with more boondocking. People are stupid and will continue to do things that make me scratch my head and wonder "why?"

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'm not sure boondocking is the solution. We were backpacking and had people camp close enough to us that their campfire almost smoked us out. (Their site was not legally placed, since there are minimum distances from water and trail, but we weren't going to confront someone miles from a trail head.) We've had people walk close to our camp, knowing it was there.
    We found a whole group camping on the trail in the back country, complete with cooking on backpacking stoves, when there was plenty of space a good distance away from the trail. In that case, we were the ones to walk through the camp, but we figured we weren't the ones in the wrong place in that case.

19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Haha that is awesome.

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You missed a teachable moment.