People walking through your campsite?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Rkcampers, Feb 28, 2017.

1. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Last year at Yosemite, we were in a site that was in the center of the loop, right across from the bathroom. Our PUP's small bunk end was about 5 feet or so from 2 large trees, with the rest of the area being absolutely open. Sure enough, a young man came through, in between the PUP and the trees, on his way to the bathroom. My partner and I looked at each other like "what just happened?". Did I mention the rest of the area was absolutely clear?? LOL As he was heading back to his site, I stood in between the PUP and the trees, forcing him to go around. I then put up a clothes line to block it (and was nice enough to put a towel on it to make it more visible...).

Later that evening, the guy's mom and sister came over as we were eating dinner. Mom explained that her son was "only trying to get to the bathroom". I told her that he's more than welcome to do it, just not within touching distance of our camper. Or, better yet, he could actually use the road.

They were not happy about that, but we were. Didn't have any more issues.

We can really be meanieheads sometimes. [:D]

DSCN3783.JPG

(Trees were to the left, just out of the photo. And, yes, our camper was absolutely level. LOL)

jnc and gladecreekwy like this.
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

People have no shame nowadays

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it’s not just at CG. We camp in the middle of nowhere, 30-40 miles down some pretty rough roads and every once in a while some knucklehead wanders through our site usually to access fishing. I always detour far around folks myself. Don’t understand what they are thinking. Most folks around here are armed and it’s a bad idea to suprise someone in bear country.

4. dabsond

dabsond Member

I don't want to sound like one of those "Get Off My Grass" guys but, I would have never cut across someone's site or property when growing up. I was taught to use sidewalks and walk to the corner. The younger folks are not taught that anymore. They just look and give you a whimsical look when they are doing it...

WVhillbilly likes this.
  5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The campground we camp at somewhat frequently has a "common area" in the center that has no defined paths to get to. To access it I always just find an empty site (preferably) or walk right on the boundary between 2 sites (they're fairly large sites). I think that's just common sense... use a path if possible, and if not take the widest berth you possibly can.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Well this year was a first for us with this problem. A guy in mid twenties comes on to our site from behind me and asks to cut through. I figured he was heading to the comfort station, maybe having an emergency. I said sure go ahead. He cuts through, and I watch him head over to his car in the parking lot. I thought, 'well don't that beat all, I read that one wrong'. So he's at his car for a bit getting stuff out of the back seat, then walks away heading in the other direction. Ok, so it's done. 15 mins later, the guy comes strolling through my site again, from behind going in the same direction as the first time, but this caught me off guard because I had my head down and didn't hear him coming. By the time I was ready to blurt something out, he was already gone through. He heads back to his car for something, grabs it and comes back to cut through again. I waited until he got into the middle of my site and told him that this was not a public path and this is the last time through, from now on he has to go around. He said, sorry and thanks, and I never saw him again. In 30 years, I've never had that happen.

7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Some folks just weren't raised right.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Some folks just were not taught properly, not told properly, not educated properly, and not.... properly.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Pilsnerpunk

Pilsnerpunk New Member

Once people start walking through my campsite I like to set up lots of booby-traps and make it as awkward as possible. Park the tow vehicle across the front, hang a clothes line or two, put chairs, wagon and bbq right in front of any path that might be entering my sight. People are cutting through because they're lazy so I like to make it hard work and mildly dangerous for them.

I never intentionally cut through someone else's site but at one of the Provincial Parks I like to stay at there are paths to the bathrooms that cut between sites and sometimes you accidentally end up getting closer to other people's sites than intended.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I had 1 cross the river on a side by side and come onto my well posted property over the 4th. He had nerve enough to ask me to move my stuff so he could go up to the road. I told him he was trespassing on posted private property. Said he didn't see any signs or purple paint. His wife said she saw them. I told him the best thing he could do was to turn around and go back across the river and not come back. What would he say if I had asked him to move his truck from his front yard so I could go through???

WVhillbilly likes this.
  11. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

I have been known to give a rather stern and loud, "excuse me, can I help you?" to the offender. If at that point, if they seem to not understand, I continue with a dad lecture about campground etiquette. It seems to work well.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok I can see it a bit both ways. As I do bring my daughter with me she's 6. And learning. She does get overzealous at times wandering. I yell( probably not the best way to enforce it ) then try to explaine. She is mindful as much as a six year old could be. So give the kids a break. The adults have no excuse.

13. WVhillbilly

[​IMG]

HappyTraveler, 1380ken, jnc and 4 others like this.
  14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Like your bear trap

15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You can walk thru my campsite all you want, just don't step on my pet alligator. He's tied up most of the time.

16. WVhillbilly

I'd paint it orange just to be fair.

17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

My alligator would look funny orange.

tfischer likes this.
  18. WVhillbilly

He may welcome the change.

19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Last month, I was at my favorite campground and campsite. The site is just above the creek. There are boulders and trees that define my site from the "public" creek area. There's a path from the road to the creek that skirts around my site on one side, and lots of open space on the other side.

There were 7 families camping and the kids hung out at the creek. I asked them nicely to use the path to the creek. I added that the dogs needed to have a defined territory. The kids were great! The parents were very grateful that I wasn't being a witch about the kids and helped remind them.

There was one girl about 8 who came running between the clipper and a tree (maybe 1-1/2 feet). As she came running into my site - smack dab in the middle - Bat-dog saw her and started barking. She came to a complete standstill shaking like a leaf. I told her to turn around and go around the campsite from now on. I don't think she will ever cut through a campsite again.

At another campground, I had just arrived and 2 kids from the neighboring site came through mine from the water. I let it be since I just arrived. Then they came back through the middle of my site again and I commented "well that's not going to happen again". They never came through my site again, but during the night, they shut off my propane... When the camphost came through the next day, I mentioned it to him. He said "well there is a trail to the water behind your site". I told him that I had no problem with them accessing the trail, but they shouldn't be going through the middle of my campsite and they shouldn't be messing with my stuff.

Other than that, I have not had any real issues. I suspect the dogs have a lot to do with it. But I think trying to be understanding and identifying a specific boundary to my site helps.

20. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Last year we were on the back side of 2200 at Ft Wilderness behind the scout camp. Between the loop and the camp was a low swampy strip. People (adults) would cut through from the road into the camp, around a fence and cut across the muddy strip through my neighbors site the entire week we were there. I was floored. They were tenters and I'm sure they didnt appreciate all that mud.

My other neighbor liked to burn his trash in the grill even though we were within eyesight of trash bins! Stunk so bad. Fortunately he left the next night. Site across from me had squatters setup at nearly midnight with all the car lights on. I couldn't help but smile when they booted them at 7am the following morning.