People who camp and those who don't?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by steppinthrax, Aug 20, 2014.

1. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

We got my parents to camp in So. IN in July (not best time for 80 yr olds maybe) in my brother's HTT. They had to go to Walmart and buy air mattresses. It was my mom's first and last time! But she can now say that she "went camping" and it rained too, but with many comforts in that trailer and a television she was good! LOL

2. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

My wife hates camping. She did it a few times to appeaze me and the kids but now we just go without her. I've came to the conclusion that she will NEVER like it. She likes the downtime and the kids get to cut loose and be dirty for a while. My son could get dirty in a bleach factory [:D] DW would have them washing their hands every 2 minutes. Its just how she is built.

3. Pointy Trailer

Pointy Trailer Member

I don't consider using my pointy trailer camping. I think of it as a mobile hotel.

4. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

I would say that everyone who camps knows someone who loathes the idea. I am sure there are those who think camping means a tent in the middle of nowhere away from civilization and hate pup's, tt's, etc. I used to get the feeling of being looked down upon when I tent camped in an area surrounded by tt's, motorhomes and such. When I bought my pup we camped among motor homes and tt's and I had the same feeling. I never saw the people in 2 motorhomes I was between once except when they arrived and left. That was over the course of 4 days and they had 4 bikes that sat by the picnic table the whole time. They were still camping though because camping is different things to different people! [:)C]

5. DCL_CT

DCL_CT Member

Aside from the campers and non-campers, there are a couple of types of campers as well. I grew up camping as it was a way for my parents to take my sister and I on vacations to different places in the northeast cheaply. My parents (like most in the 70s and 80s) did not have the money for hotel rooms and restaurants - so we camped.

This is the style of camping I prefer - camping is the means to be able to take our three kids to different places on a budget. Plus, we get to spend time in nature and share a passion for the outdoors with our kids. I also see that this type of camping helps to reinforce essential skills - making a campfire, cooking with the bare essentials, dealing with less-than-perfect situations (smaller space, things break/go wrong, etc.).

On the flip-side, I know many people to who camping is merely a means to get with their group of friends and drink heavily (people in their 40s and up - not necessarily just the young crowd). Same campground each time, same mini hotel-on-wheels, etc. My parents now camp seasonally in their 40-something foot Breckenridge which is bigger than my first apartment and ironically has sleeping accommodations for 2! Their life has changed that they don't have the opportunity to pack up a camper and go here or there every weekend, so the home-away-from-home is their best option. Personally, I want to see different things and have many different experiences which is why I'm loving the fact that we now have a PUP (ironically sleeps 8)

6. DCL_CT

DCL_CT Member

When you really break it down to the basics as well, camping can really be a recipe for disaster. Take a large group of people from all different backgrounds and walks of life and put them all together on a little spit of land no more than a few yards from each other. Add alcohol and stir well. It's no wonder that personalities clash and people can walk away discouraged with camping.

This is an interesting thread that definitely gets one thinking. A coworker of mine is not an outdoor guy at all. I find it strange that he doesn't own a pair of hiking boots or a good rugged backpack. Hiking? Never did it. Mountain biking? What's that? His wife and their girls forced him into a weekend of tent camping with their church group. Granted, the campground was one of the fancy (expensive) luxury campgrounds in CT, so I don't really qualify this as camping - more like sleeping in a tent while everyone else cooks the meals, etc. [;)]

7. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Some people are just not the "outdoor" type. Some are afraid of bugs and animals, others just are not used to it. I meet a 40+ person here in Tacoma that grew up here and had never been to "Point Defiance" park. Now this is the seconded largest in city park in the US, only acres smaller then Central park in NY. It has garden, beaches, picnic area, a 5 mile drive with beautiful look outs. I ask them why they had never gone there, the answer was "it's outdoors and the outdoors is dirty". There are all kinds in this world.

8. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

My dad's idea of a vacation was to go to "the Lake" which we did for a week each summer (think of the movie the Great Outdoors). Everyone in MN goes to the Lake, but going to the Lake could refer to any of the over 10,000 lakes in the state. At first, we would get a cabin, but we started tent camping when I was about 9 years old. My mom hated camping, and refused to plan/pack, but she came along and complained all the time we were there. So as the only girl, I would pack and plan the food with Dad. One of my best memories going out after dark, flooding an area of our yard, and catching night crawlers for fishing. I have 2 brothers and neither of them camp.

Once we started tent camping, instead of a one week vacation, we would also go out camping on weekends too. Looking back, it was a great way to make memories with the family. Most men of DH's generation focused themselves on their careers. A lot of people my age complain that they never spent time with their dad, and never really knew him. My DH worked the 2nd shift in a printing plan, and for 5 months each year would work 7 days and lots of over-time (as he would explain, he did it because he loved us and he wanted us to have a better life than he did during the great-depression). But he made the most of the time he had with us, like taking us camping, going for bike rids on Sunday, or taking us fishing on Saturday nights. DH died of a massive heart attack when I was 20, but I have more memories of him and great times with him that most people have of a lifetime with their Dad.

For DH & me, a weekend of camping is a time to unwind for the workweek, and an opportunity to spend quality time together, to recharge and reconnect.

I feel sorry for people who don't camp, or people who don't get it, especially for kid's whose parents don't take them. Camping to me is about making memories and have special times with the people you love. Over the years, I've had a great variety of non-camping vacations either as a single person, or later on as a married person. For example, while vacationing at the Grand Canyon, or on the beach in Florida, while those vacations were great, we stayed in hotels, and I think just how much more awesome they would be, sleeping in the great outdoors, or having a campfire.

9. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

My parents have never camped. They have traveled all over the U.S., Europe, South America and Asia. When I was growing up they brought me to some really great places & exposed me to different cultures and foods.

My kids are growing up with parents who like to camp. Nature and visiting historical sites are what we are sharing with our kids. Spending time together outdoors.

One isn't better than the other. They're just different.

10. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Different people go camping for different reasons, at different levels, and these can change over time. I have done everything from bivouac camping on long trail or hunting trips through staying with my brother in a luxurious fifth wheel. Our first trailer was a traditional box on wheels Red Dale with propane lighting and surge brakes, good enough in its day. Then we got into big outfit tent camping for hunting trips with wall tents, barrel stoves, folding cots, etc., hauled in a trailer built from the back half of a Dodge long bed pickup. That was a lot of work- head out two days before the season opened just to set up camp.

We now use the Chalet Arrowhead to have a quick to set up warm dry place of refuge for hunting, fishing, bird watching, botanizing, history tourism, shooting match and other trips. We don't go out just to spend time in campgrounds, in fact, many of our trips don't involve campgrounds at all. First additions to the rig were a second propane tank and second battery. Most recent is a 130 watt Go Power solar set up, which we hope will be adequate to keep the batteries up even in late fall when we expect heavy furnace and lights use.

Coming attractions include visits to Indian Wars battlefield sites, Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota (50th in the nation in tourism), and an elk hunt in late October.

When we have stayed in campgrounds they are USFS, NPS or state parks facilities. Some people object to the fees charged, but that money is how all three have been upgrading the facilities, especially water systems and outhouses. We've always had good neighbors in public agency campgrounds. The few times we stayed in commercial CGs we were disappointed with condition of facilities and attitude of operators. I'd rather do with a bucket bath in the trailer than a dirty shower house.

Sometimes I think I should sew up a tarp tent from the old BSA Handbook For Boys and do my cooking in a GI canteen cup.......

SAL
    [ALPU] [TV]

11. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

I have camped for better than 50 years. My parents never camped when I was young so it was a Boy Scout thing for me. I've loved it every since. I introduced DW to camping in'72 on our first anniversary. She is also a committed camper. DD made her first trip at @3 or 4 months old and loves it as well. DW's family...not so much and that is fine. What I do know is that when there is an emergency (like the ice storm from a few years ago that wiped out power to our area for several days) The "crazy Campers" were able to live quite well off the grid. Our non-camping family....not so much. Aside from the other benefits that we enjoy while camping, there are additional benefits that would be beneficial to the scoffers...JMHO...Camping is often defined or narrowed or have "Rules for Proper Camping" applied to the sport by some elitist group of snobs but fortunately these have no effect on those of us who are campers...We write our own definitions for "What Camping Is or Is Not" and that my friends is the bottom line. Camp the way you like it. Do not be forced into a corner by narrow minded people. That's my opinion and I'm sticking by it. [:D]

[PU] [PUT]
    BEAR

12. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Absolutely, two thumbs up [:D]

13. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

I am the type of person that is both. I am just as comfortable in a fancy swanky hotel as I am in a campground. They are two different holidays but I enjoy doing both. I started camping because I wanted my kids to experience it. While we don't exactly rough it, I love watching them go off into the woods and find rocks, sticks, bugs, or whatever treasures they bring home. As they are getting older, we will use the campground as a place to stay while we explore museums, historic sites etc... so the kids can learn more about our world. I am generally far more tired after a camping vacation because we are on the move from the time we wake up until bed but it is a good tired.

I will admit nothing beats staring at a campfire. I can do that for hours.

14. MamaK

MamaK Member

Part of the lure of camping for me was to be able to explore new places without spending big bucks on accommodations when the kids were young. Two of them still enjoy camping as do their kids, the other not so much, but then she wasn't as in to it even back when. I also like not being concerned about who's been sleeping in the beds I'm sleeping in. Yeah, fancy hotels are nice but there are those headlines that make you think twice. Sometimes when the days are shorter and nights much chillier we'll opt for dinner in a restaurant while camping, but it's still cheaper than hotel stays. Waking to the smell of a pine forest can't be beat. Seeing a sunrise or sunset over the campground lake, watching the mists rise in the early morning, that cup of coffee while the bacon is cooking on the fire, can't beat it.

15. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Camping has little to do with being "cheap" for me... other than the fact that we can do it more often because it's relatively cheap.

For me, it's about getting away. When I'm home, I'm not one to sit around and watch TV, I always have to be doing something 'productive'. When I'm camping, I feel more of a license to just relax. Although sometimes all the work that goes with camping keeps me busy too ;)

16. artist143tm

artist143tm I love camping!

I never camped as a child. My husband introduced me to it. The first time out there I was paranoid about bugs for 1 day. I almost got sick because I put to much OFF bug spray on me. The next day I chilled out and from then on I have loved it. Not so much for my parents and sister, especially my mother. She just didn't like camping. Don't get me wrong she loves the outdoors but was afraid of sleeping in the tent, animals, etc...

I am with others who have posted. For those of us who love to camp we need to enjoy it and not worry about the ones who don't (more room in the campground for us [:D])!!!!

17. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Camping is a lifestyle. Like living in a city or in the country. People have different tastes.

18. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

The DW and I like to camp and be outdoors. We don't get to very often. This is the purpose in getting the pup. In 7+ years of marriage we've only tent camped twice, but we've visited at least a half dozen state parks and have gone to a lot more other outdoor areas for day trips. Both of us grew up in scouts and did a fair amount of camping back then.

I recently asked my mom if her and my dad ever camped. She told me they didn't and left it at that. I wonder why this was, but I have a feeling it has to do with her own background as much as the family's view on our finances back then. We still had vacations and stayed in cheap chain hotels, but at least some of the meals were sack lunches or cereals for breakfast instead of restaraunts. I know the price of Coleman tents has plummeted in recent years. I remember as a young scout wanting my own personal 3-4 man dome tent, but the tag was just under $100. Now you can get a (slightly cheaper made) Coleman 8 man dome tent for the same price. I also remember the motels we stayed at back then were right around $120 per night, so the startup costs for us to go camping would have nixed one of our 2-4 night summer vacations.

Remember, it may be cheaper in the long run to go camping, but there's a bit up front cost that can discourage some people. Not sure if this is why we didn't do it as a family growing up, but I want to change that in this next generation of my family.

19. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

For us its not about the money we could afford just about any thing we wanted it's about back to nature and doing what we want. We do spend some time in hotels but they don't feel like "home" the way the PUP does. Even when we go to the Phoenix house it's just not home the way the PUP is. We have been look at moving to Belize to get warm. But there is really no camping there. Camping is the best. Where else can you pay to be "homeless". [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

20. pckeen

pckeen New Member

In addition to many of the comments above, we find camping an activity that allows the family to play together. At home, we all have separate activities, but at camping, we all have activities together.

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Tapatalk