Periwinkle Park Sanibel Island Camping

Discussion in 'Florida' started by jdesiano1, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jdesiano1

jdesiano1 A bad day fishin is better than a good day at work

Wondering if anyone has stayed here??? We are there memorial day weekend. Its the only place on Sanibel Island. [?:~{]

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

yes, it's a quaint little CG with some perm sites but those Folks should be back up North by then. Pay $6 to go over toll bridge turn right on Periwinkle and its on the left. There are bird atriums and caged birds like Parrots, Cockatoos and Cockatiels. Monkeys, Toucans and a Duck pond, they have quarter vending boxes for duck food, to feed them. We used it as a base camp so only walked around at 1st light or in the dark. There is a DQ nearby and a Lazy Flamingo with cold beer and a great ceasar salad/garlic bread. [8D] bring bug spray.

3. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

"Periwinkle Park" - that even sounds quaint... [LOL]

4. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

"No Dogs or Mopeds!" Oh... Maybe not... [:(O]

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

yea, but it was a good base camp many moons ago in a tent to stake out the area [8D] And after I got a job at Beach Elementary it was my annual "zoo" fieldtrip [A]

6. jdesiano1

jdesiano1 A bad day fishin is better than a good day at work

This is what I wrote for trip advisor, thought I would share.

I was kinda of leary at first being as there were no reviews of this place but was pleasantly surprised. My first recommendation is TAKE BIKES!!! We were so happy to have them. The beach access is about .5 a mile and could be walked but with a lot of items would be a hassle. The park is HUGE and a good location. The bike paths are great around the whole island. The park sites range in size depending on the size of your rig. The bathrooms are decent with good water pressure. The park is clean and most people were nice. THis is a campground / trailer park with a lot of full time residents. The bird sanctuary is kinda neat to look at and free. We ate at the lazy flamingo and Island cow. Both were ok. The beach is natural and pretty. Lots of sea life, we could not believe the amount of sand dollars! Overall we had a wonderful time and would return!

7. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

Book here in December for 3 nights. Interested more in the location than the actual park. We love Sanibel/Captiva (Married there in 2007) and getting around via bikes.