Perseids

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by infotech, Aug 17, 2013.

1. infotech

infotech Member

We were camping at Garner State Park when perseids was at it's peak. We saw at least 30 meteors from 10 PM to 1 AM. There were some of the longest asteroids that my wife and I have ever seen. We had our kids and a nephew ages 5, 9, and 14. We mentioned it to our neighbors who watched it also. The kids have never seen anything like it. For the remainder of our trip they wanted to look up at the sky every night to try and see more. It is one time I wish I had a great camera to get pictures of metors that streaked from the highest point of the sky to the horizon.

Anyone else watch?

Side note, this is the first time I noticed popupportal has an astronomy forum. I bought a pair of binoculars to view the sky.

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

I'm glad someone got to see them! We were camping as well, but the cloud cover made it difficult. Maybe next year...

3. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I took my daughter, my son and a friend to the NC Outer Banks to see them. The first night we saw quite a few good ones, the second night we saw some pretty tough thunder storms with the strongest wind I've ever camped in.

4. Indy

Indy Member

That sounds incredible! We were home with cloud cover and didn't even try. However, I just saw a giant meteor streaking across the sky like you mention when we were in Marfa, TX on July 4. It really took your breath away!

5. froggie

froggie New Member

Amazing! Hope we get that lucky one day.

6. campfreak

campfreak Well-Known Member

We were camping Sat night, which was before the peak, and saw a few. That's cool that your kids got excited about it.

7. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

I din't get a chance to go camping during that show. Our favorite place to camp is at Garner and Love to Stargaze in the old part of Garner in the field where no body ever camps. Last year we went and an Amateur Astronomy group from San Antonio brought their telescopes and set them up for anyone to look through...that was really cool!!!!! Awesome stargazing at Garner! Glad you had a great show!