Pet allergy question

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by cityfrank, Aug 18, 2016.

1. cityfrank

cityfrank New Member

Wanted some thoughts/opinions on a concern as we work towards purchasing our first hybrid.

I have seen some used trailers for sale, some at a great price. My main concern is more than just leaks and such but about pets. I was looking at used to save some money on our purchase but I wonder if it is worth it. My wife is a little nervous since both she and my son have some bad allergies when it comes to pets. She is concerned that the previous owner may have had pets IN the trailer and although my wife and son can be around cats and dogs, it will start to bother them when exposed to pet dander for extended periods of time (which I plan to do in the trailer).

I always ask the owner about this but often the seller is not the only owner since new OR its hard to believe them. When I was purchasing my first PUP we asked the seller point bank about pets and he proceeded to say that the dogs never went in the trailer but was then interrupted by his son who said otherwise. Lets say, he was not happy with his kid when we walked away.

I wonder if there was a way to "check" for clues about pets in the trailer. Or should I just forget it and go new?

2. upstate family

upstate family Member

I understand pet allergies because I deal with them too, cats are my problem. However with no carpet in the pup the main problems would be the couches, beds, & curtains. You can wash the curtains and clean the couches. And with the beds the mattresses stink anyway so just replace with foam. A good cleaning will take care of everything else. Also with all the fresh air that you have coming in I can't imagine the dander would be still be around after some time. If this was a travel trailer I'd be more concerned but with a pup it seems the issue may be able to be fixed easily. Not sure I would spend the extra money on something new when you could save so much more with a used camper. Of course all that said it is a decision only your family can make but that is my 2 cents.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

You may want to consider asking if the seller is a pet owner and bypass those that are. I am a dog owner, and if you asked me whether I take my dog camping, I'd say no, but there was this one time, and I don't know if he left hair in the camper or not.

4. cityfrank

cityfrank New Member

I agree, but it is a hybrid or travel trailer that I am thinking about purchasing. We moved into a house that had a cat and it took years before getting better, and even now we think that some of our son's allergies are still residual dander from the cat that was here.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If the allergies are that severe, unless you also have chemical sensitivity issues, new would seem to be less likely to be a problem.
    We renovated our first pup, including buying new foam cushions/mattress, making new covers, etc. We found water damage issues hidden under benches, which we cleaned as much as possible; both my husband and I have allergy problems with molds and mildews. That was done, though, while things were pretty much disassembled.
    While new would be pricier, if you ended up having to do deep cleaning, replacement cushions and/or covers, curtains, possibly canvas if someone had pets that rubbed on them, etc., that could be costly too.
    Good luck on the search, no matter which you chose.

6. upstate family

upstate family Member

Well, I totally missed the hybrid part. With your previous experience with your home then I would get a new one. The health of your family is more important then money. Sounds like your son's allergy is pretty severe.

7. cityfrank

cityfrank New Member

I figured as much. I just wondered aloud if others had the same issue and how they dealt with it. Yeah his allergies are a tough nut to crack - Seasonal and pet. No food though! He suffers quite a bit in the summer in the city but I tell you , once we get out of the city for a few days his allergies reduce so much - another reason to camp even longer during the summer!