Pet Loc8ter Tags...

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
Having a cat and a dog that have never before been camping, I wanted an "edge" should they ever get away from us. (That in itself would be like escaping Fort Knox b/c we keep a tight hold of them) I kicked around the internet until I came across the pet "loc8ter" I'll be testing this little "gem" out over the next few days and get back to this post and let everyone know if it worth a crud. In this package you get two loc8ter tags that get placed on their collar and a hand-held unit that points the way to the tags once depressed. The tags are very small and both animals do not seem to mind wearing them. We did try to activate the tags indoor and they did seem to work well room to room. Tomorrow I'll plant a tag in the yard and see if the unit can be found. The manual says it will find the tags up to 400 ft distance. Hopefully it will.
When it comes to our animals we are over-protective parents here and it would sure give us some piece of mind if this system works. Both of are animals are very well trained... Even the cat will come and sit on command, but there are numerous distractions for any pet camping and I'd rather be on the safe side.

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
Our family did a little hide and go seek with the Loc8ter tags yesterday and I have to say I was surprised. Hid them under the pop up, behind a tree on the far end of our yard and once in the neighbours. It did well each time and we did get a solid 400 ft or so coverage. For us... I think it's a winner.
It's very easy to use. Turn the hand-held on, push the tag number you wish to activate. Wait two seconds and the hand-held unit starts to find it. The tag itself starts to beep so that you can hear it when your close. Both animals are hardly aware they are wearing it.
In time in all the years I had the cat she managed to escape once and she hid fairly close to home (Problem being is that she hides very well... even in the house.) The dog I'm not as worried about. He always comes on command because he knows there's a food bribe. I should have named him Dumpster... but it's nice to know there's a little "back up" plan.
There are more elaborate tracking systems out there using GPS tech... but for our budget, the pet Loc8ter is worth the $100.00 they ask for.

BuxCamper

Mar 29, 2003
Bucks County, PA
A lot of house cats that slip out will stay close to their territory, the house. Mine did so a couple of weeks ago. We found him sitting on the window ledge looking in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
Our cat has always been very quiet and shy. Our blessing and problem is that she stays silent. She hides so very well. The loc8ter tag gives her away right away. I love it already!

mamabean5

Super Active Member
Oct 7, 2009
A while ago here on the Portal, someone posted the great idea of putting a small tag on your pet's collar. We use this idea putting the campground name, our last name, and campsite number on the tag. If found, they know exactly where we are staying at the moment (as opposed to the information on their permanent tags). I keep the package of little tags in the pup and we're always ready for anything. [DOG] [DOG]

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
mamabean5 said:
A while ago here on the Portal, someone posted the great idea of putting a small tag on your pet's collar. We use this idea putting the campground name, our last name, and campsite number on the tag. If found, they know exactly where we are staying at the moment (as opposed to the information on their permanent tags). I keep the package of little tags in the pup and we're always ready for anything. [DOG] [DOG]
MamaBean... Great idea! I know to some people this looks like paranoia, but we have found more often that not that thinking ahead is key when camping!

mamabean5

Super Active Member
Oct 7, 2009
We were popping down one Sunday and had both dogs on their leashes. One was tied to a nearby tree, the other was loosely looped over the hitch ball. The one tied to the tree chewed through the nice leather leash, and wandered over 3-4 campsites before someone brought him back to us. Scared the daylights out of me. You never know when [DOG] have other plans... [;)]

efehser

Super Active Member
Sep 3, 2012
mamabean5 said:
We were popping down one Sunday and had both dogs on their leashes. One was tied to a nearby tree, the other was loosely looped over the hitch ball. The one tied to the tree chewed through the nice leather leash, and wandered over 3-4 campsites before someone brought him back to us. Scared the daylights out of me. You never know when [DOG] have other plans... [;)]

Short Bus again?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
These are some awesome ideas. My mom took her two dogs camping. A surprise thunderstorm rolled in while on a walk. After a really loud boom one of my moms dog took off in fear and dissapeared. It was a very dangerous storm and my parents spent a good hour trying to find her. She is a very well behaved dog and never takes off. Never thought about needing to put a special tag on their collar but would have been a huge help when another camper found her. I know I'm going to utilize some of these ideas.