Pet ramp for entrance

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by firepit, Jun 27, 2020.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Well..my baby girl Jo Jo is approaching 14 but is still a ball of fire and healthy but shes starting to have trouble with steps...i just bought the material for a deck ramp at home and have bed at home on the floor.
    In the camper we leave the dinette down and she can jump on it and then into my bunk (pappys girl)...if she has a little start jumping works but walking up camper steps shes having problems...has anyone built a lightweight portable ramp or bought a motorcyle ramp and modified it for the camper entrance?....she still can get a running start and do it but i know its only a matter of time now before she will need some help.
    Thanks guys 202006229518374695167996359984605.jpg

2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Good looking ol girl, and she'll apretiate the help as time goes on I'm sure.

firepit likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don't know about your area, but they do make pet folding aluminum pet ramps you can try. I did make a ramp out of a couple 6x4s, outdoor carpet with grooves tacked on and a hinge to allow it to fold. However it's quite heavy than those pet ramps out there. I used this diy ramp for my TV and my old popup using a bracket that helped hook it on my bumper or camper lip. It won't work on my new to me camper as I have a stepper door. My DIY ramp worked fine for my 40 lb boarder collie until her eyesight was compromised. She lost
    her peripheral vision and she no longer knew where her feet was in relation to an object. My ramp was not strong enough for a person so I did have to remove it if I had to get in.

firepit likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

firepit likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Haven’t had to deal with exterior steps (yet) but did this for Lexie’s half (7/8) of the bed....
    C1641530-CD5B-4204-ACEF-CA80E4E29604.jpeg

jmkay1, Ductape, myride and 1 other person like this.
  6. firepit

Thats coming for us...she takes a running start and jumps on the dinette then from there to my bunk.
    Our lab skips that step and glides right up in the bunk...lol.
    Me and the wife sleep in seperate bunks...the plan was that each of us would sleep with a dog...but i always end up with them both.
    Yes ours are bed hogs as well...the lab stretches out and usually have a foot in my face or back and he kicks when he dreams...lol

jmkay1, myride and neighbormike like this.
  7. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I had to figure out a ramp years ago when our Golden tore an ACL and had to have surgery. I bought an aluminum ramp made by Prairie View Industries ( https://www.pviramps.com/ ). I know these are expensive new, but I found mine on craigslist for $50. It was a great investment, as our dog used it for about 7 years. It's very rugged and will hold most people as it is rated for #250. If I hadn't found one on CL I'm sure I would have made something out of wood until I found a better solution. I'll see if I have a picture of it.

firepit likes this.
  8. Ductape

20150720_121541.JPG

Not the best pic, sorry., but take a look on craigslist or similar.

firepit likes this.
  9. firepit

And i looks like it folds for easy storage...thank you

10. Ductape

It does... and it's reasonably light. It's rugged enough that I just walk on it going in and out, no stepping around it. And.... no problem leaving it out in the rain.

After the loss of our dog a couple years ago, I debated selling it, as I had sworn off getting another dog. But..... you know how that goes. It took me two years, but eventually I found room in my life for another. The ramp will be here for when the new pup gets up in age.

firepit and neighbormike like this.
  11. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I saw one on Amazon made by Pet Gear. Its 70 bucks but it folds and is light weight and looks like you can get different sizes and widths. Its called pet gear travel lite ramp. Looks like its covered in indoor outdoor carpet so she can get some good footing. Hope you find what you need making the pups life easier as they get up there is important.

firepit and Ductape like this.
  12. firepit

Sorry for your loss...i think we all go through that...i try to remember our lost pets would love for us to give another dog a home....and they give so much back in return.

neighbormike and Ductape like this.