Phone Booster

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Jeeperforlife, May 9, 2017.

1. Jeeperforlife

Jeeperforlife New Member

I'm looking to see if anyone has used this or a similar product. It will boost 3G, 4G, voice and text signals. The campgrounds I go too have very limited cell coverage at best, and I have never found campground WIFI worthwhile. I'm planning a week long trip to the desert and mountains and most of the time I will be boondocking away from any civilization. I know it needs some signal to work but hoping for first hand experience. Because of my job going a week without contact can cause me some big problems.

Booster

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Cell phone booster can make more of a poor signal, but there are lots of nice camping spots where there's no signal at all. Under those conditions, the booster will do you no good.
    Depending on how much those "big problems" cost you, consider renting a satellite phone. Or get satellite internet and make your calls with VOIP - or Skype

3. justwork

justwork Member

I've been looking into this as well, but decided to go with weboost Drive 4G-X OTR. I plan to hard mount the antenna onto the roof, I like the antenna with the spring so if it catches on something it can lay flat then come back up.

4. penny

penny Well-Known Member

this is an old thread, but something I've been wondering about. Since last added to in 20017, maybe something new is out there. When we go to some of our favorite spots, we can be 5-7 miles from a decent cell signal. Sometimes we have to drive to the signal to check in with someone, and it's a pain.
    I've read to put your phone into field test mode to see what negative number you get, and you can then tell if a booster can do anything. I can't seem to get my iPhone 7 to change to numbers from bars though. many of the menu choices don't match the instructions on line.

I'm not real knowledgable about such things, but I keep thinking of that nice antenna on top of our trailer, coax cable attached to nothing, and wondering if it could be hooked to a booster.

5. mk4

mk4 New Member

Try downloading a LTE Discovery app or something similar.

I've got the Weboost RV 4GX. It does boost your signal. I'm T-mobile and lose signal around -140dB. At -130dB it's spotty. At -120dB, I get usable signal. With the weboost, I generally get about a 20dB gain (manufacture claims max 50dB). So with a -120dB + 20dB gain, I can stream. I can make calls and text when my signal is -130dB + 20dB gain.

I use the directional antenna pointing to a pre-determined cell tower. I have the antenna on a mast a few feet higher than my roof.

I think I paid about $500.

bearman512 likes this.
  6. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

We have the same only I have a unidirectional antenna on a 18' pool extension pole. T-Mobile is what we use also.

7. penny

penny Well-Known Member

thank you for the info, good to know!