Phone/Tablet Mount for PopUp Camper

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Mat Kyne, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

I know for some, bringing along electronics while camping is sacrilege. Not for me. Giving the kids a movie to watch at the end of the day allows for extended campfire enjoyment for the adults. So we keep a few tablets loaded with movies that we bring on trips. I decided to use a similar solution to what we use to mount the tablets in the cars. For about $15 worth of parts (most of that was the magnets) I was able to build a couple of really versatile and easily-removable magnetic mounts that attach to the bars over the bunk ends. This is what I came up with:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3pZa6saJCTx7LbSD6

It works for phones and tablets. The one in the picture is a Kindle Fire HD 8, but it works just as well for our Fire HD 10.

2. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

My youngest ds purchased a mini projector that connects to his tablet or phone. We turn the curtains around (they are blackout curtains that have a white backing) and way we go. I am hoping to make a shelf to hang above the door for the projector to sit on.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Is it a magnet holding the device to the rod you made? I’ve been always afraid to use magnets near electronics thinking it could lead to possible data loss or other broken components. Then again I was brought up in the time where manufacturers stressed no magnets as you could lose data or it could break your device . Grant you technology has changed 10 fold in those years so maybe that’s no longer the case.

momofEAP likes this.
  4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we travel I will use my phone as a hot spot and connect our iPad to it and then stream TV. I would like to make a mount for the iPad so we can lay in our bunk and watch TV. Looks like a project over the winter!

5. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Heh, I remember those days.

Fortunately, between everything being fully electronic (no magnetic storage in phones/tablets) and the EFI shielding required in them, magnets have no effect (except you can't use them and your wireless charger at the same time). In fact, I have a 'Magic Mount' phone mount in my truck and a metal plate inside my slip-on phone case. When I get into the truck, I just slap the phone to the mount and let the physics of magnetism take over (sometimes breaking the seal on the suction cup windshield mount, sending both tumbling to the passenger side floor out of reach).

Stamourowl and stud muffin like this.
  6. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

Yes, the black rectangle has 10 rare earth magnets encased in a plastic housing and covered with a thin sheet of rubber (for grip). There is a thin piece of metal attached to the phone/tablet inside the case. There is no reason to worry about magnets with solid state media (all modern phones and tablets). Magnets were harmful to floppy disks and magnetic tape drives, less so to hard drives and would make an old monitor look wonky for a while. But again, they are not harmful to modern storage media or LCD screens. Also, the steel plate all but fully absorbs the magnetic field of the magnets.

Stamourowl likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

That is one of our pleasures when my son and I head out. We often end at least one day with a good meal and a movie. Right now we drop the dinette and use Crazy Creek stadium chairs to give us a little back support, and watch a movie on the 24" TV that I bring. This season I plan to upgrade a little - I got an Anker Mars Lite projector, and plan to add a removable mount to the shepards pole on the dinette so I can hang it upside down, and add a fabric screen to the other side. With luck I will also be able to use the same screen on a bunk end, and sit the projector on the bunk shelves I have.

The projector has an internal battery and 10W speakers, so good for roughly 8 hours of playback. The charging cord is quite long as well, plus it has an 18V input which I can get from one of my Lithium battery packs that has an 18V laptop port on it. However, with the sound of the A/C running we often use headphones instead, and I really don't need the whole campground hearing our movie from inside the camper late at night. Can't wait to get it set up for the spring!

Katskamper and Mat Kyne like this.
  8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The kids each have 7" Fire Tablets with earbuds. We also have a 17" flatscreen TV that I can put on the table or counter. There is a cable to connect your phone to the TV so you you can play streaming content to it. Some campgrounds also have cable and there is usually some over the air programming available. Electronics are only allowed near bed time to allow us some wind down time or during bad weather.

Katskamper likes this.
  9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Nicely done! Good problem solving and a nice, neat solution. Step back, put your hands on your hips and give yourself a hearty "there, fixed it!". [MOD]

10. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

I love this idea! Thanks for the photos too. Looks great!

Katskamper likes this.
  11. psyko514

psyko514 New Member

I love this solution! Do you have a list/source for the parts? I'm especially interested in those clips that connect to the bar.

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Mat Kyne and psyko514 like this.
  13. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

Clips: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DH4NK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Magnetic Mount: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0DUVZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Metal Strip (I cut it in half to make two): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...-in-x-1-1-2-in-Galvanized-Angle-A66/100375146

14. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Still working good?

15. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

Yes, still working good. We use them all the time.

stud muffin likes this.