"Photo finish" on cabinet curling at edge, repair suggestions?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Sue Stella, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Sue Stella

Sue Stella New Member

The "photo finish" wood covering on my cabinet door is coming up and curling at the edges. The flatter parts I could repair with good high tack glue, but some places the edges are curled tight and will not unroll. Has anyone had experience with using heat (I was going to use my iron and a clothe) to flatten out the wood look coating?

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I believe that is why the cabinets get painted white by so many folks.

3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Somebody posted a few weeks back about removing the contact paper from the cabinets. I don't know what ever came of it, but I have a place on my cabinets where the glue is loose too. I don't know what is underneath the contact paper or if what is there can be painted or stained. I don't plan to replace the cabinets, but I would like to replace the doors because the drawers and doors seem 'too heavy' and I want something less bulky.

Every time I have time to do something it rains. On days that the weather is pretty like today and I should be cutting grass or working on the camper, I'm stuck preparing documents.

Next week, hopefully I'll get a breather and I need to get new tires for the riding mower, so I don't have to air them up. By the time I jump off the battery, new as of 2017, air up the tires and put gas in it, I'm too tired to do anything else. Life's not suppose to be this difficult. The one thing that keeps me going is being able to go camping one day and leave it all behind. My first trips will be close by. Between my niece and friends, maybe I'll get the hang of it before I have to go it alone. If that day ever comes.

J Starsky likes this.
  5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Strip and paint. Its some work, but well worth it.

6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I've got to get my sideboards and the ends of the roof, front and back, fixed where there is rot. Once that is done, I want to tackle the cabinets and get in there to see how things are put together. I have some scraps of the door paneling which is similar to luan board and if it will be easier to replace, I think I'll try that.

7. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

If you're not repainting then go to a paint store like Sherwin Williams. Get a small tube of wallpaper glue and repair. Maybe tack hold it with a piece of tape while it dries.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I can save you some time and money on the Lawn Mower tires, get a bottle of slime and slime all 4 of the tires. This stuff works really good and will seal leaks. I use it here on the farm in everything that has wheels on it. You can buy it almost anywhere

9. Sue Stella

Sue Stella New Member

Well, I took a leap and used heat. I used my clothes iron on low/medium. I placed a piece of old cotton sheet between the wood and the iron and I gently applied heat and pressure to the peeling "photo finish". It worked beautifully!!!!! The curled edges flattened out and became reattached to the door. I went over every detached veneer and the whole thing looks great! Because the original veneer was incorrectly applied, there is a thin gap along the edge. I will just use my wood nick marker and cover that up, then a little clear lacquer and that is ready to be re installed. The finish won't peel off anymore, door saved! Hooray!!!

10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Cool beans, now we know how it's done. Thanks for sharing.

Sue Stella likes this.