Photo of Saturn

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by phalynx, Apr 28, 2013.

1. phalynx

phalynx Member

Saturn's rings are visible right now, if you have some magnification. This was taken with my Sigma 80-400mm lens.

[​IMG]

2. NotRufnIt

NotRufnIt Total PuP Noobs! But Gettin' Better!

WHOA!!!! That is sooooo cool!!!! Is your lens connected to your telescope? I apologize if that's an ignorant question. Thanks for your patience! I would love to get a telescope for sky watching during this camping season!

3. phalynx

phalynx Member

No telescope needed here, just a dslr and a big camera lens! I saw on the news today that a helicopter news crew was out flying and they zoomed in on it with their TV camera and the rings were visible. I think Saturn is close to the earth right now or something. I didn't catch all of it.

Once I saw that their camera could do it, I figured my big wildlife lens could do it too. I bet a high zoom (10x) point and shoot could do it, but its not as simple as pointing and shooting.

4. NotRufnIt

NotRufnIt Total PuP Noobs! But Gettin' Better!

Very awesome pic! I wonder if the observatory, Lowell in Flagstaff, is featuring Saturn this weekend! I don't think our dslr has a lens that big. I think it's more like 70-210. I'll have to check. But I DO know what I'm getting for my birthday next month now!!!! [:D]

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

That's great! If it's clear tonight I think I'll take a stab at photographing it.

6. efehser

efehser New Member

Awesome! Unfortunately I live too close to a large light mass to get shots like that!

7. corona

corona Member

Wow nice pic!

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

That's a beautiful pic! Thanks for sharing. Hubby is going to try to capture it with his camera tonite, if it's clear here.

Campit

9. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Great photo. Thanks for sharing.

10. phalynx

phalynx Member

Here's the canon astronomy forum where those guys get pretty serious. Check out the thread Saturn from the April 15th. There's a really nice photo of saturn there.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136

You can get telescopes that automatically track the motion of the object and you mount your camera to the telescope. This gives much sharper images since there's no motion blur. Even with my rudimentary setup, at 10x digital zoom (in the live view screen) Saturn kept moving out of view in less than a minute.

notrufnit, I wouldn't get a big lens just for this because it's really not very practical. I bought my lens for an alaska trip last year and only use if for special occasions, like for far away wild life. If i need to travel light, like an airplane trip, then it usually stays home because it's just too big and heavy.

Don't worry about light pollution from big cities. I'm in the suburbs of Phoenix and I'm surrounded by houses. In fact, this picture was taken down the street from my house, with several street lights right behind me.

Here's the settings I used, in manual mode. f/5.6, 1/10s, ISO 100, 400mm, on a tripod, manual focus, stabilization off, in live view mode so the mirror is locked up, and with a remote.

Post up any pictures you guys get!

11. CalKat

CalKat Member

Very cool! We need to set up the telescope and see for ourselves.

12. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Awesome, reminds me that we may not be alone....I wonder if they have Pop Up's there??? Hmmm...