PhotoBucket is crap now

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by Rhconcepts, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

With photobucket wanting 300.00 a year to do 3rd party hosting to site and forums we need some changes here. We need to all have the ability to edit our own post so we can relink all the photos to our new photo hosting. If we cant relink the photos to our old post this site is going to look pictureless lol, Im sure I wasn't the only one to use photobucket to host pics.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I'm confused, I still use the free version of photobucket and have never been told I HAVE TO pay for anything. Yes, they are slow, and have become a pain to link, but it is still possible. (I heard it has something to do with the type of script they run for the slow processing.)
    And I just looked, and these are the prices:
    • 2 GB - Free
    • Ad Free (no additional storage or bandwidth) - $2.49 / Month
    • 50 GB - $59.99 / Year
    • 100 GB - $99.99 / Year
    • 500 GB - $399.99 / Year
    Do you have different info on the fees than what I found online?

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I went with FREE IMGUR a few years back when all these older photo program starting to charge for things. I have all my photos backed up on a portable hard drive here and just my active RV photos on IMGUR. Made several PUBLIC photo folders to link to.

I also can find almost all of my previous linked photos on-line using google that already have the link and just resend those... It seems most forums like RV NET and others immediately post those pictures to the internet and in my case I use a couple of catch names from my signature file that really points to me and no one else when used together.

If I type in 'K9PHT RT14' into GOOGLE SEARCH and when it loads up I select 'IMAGES' I see a good 99% of photos I have posted for several years back... I just mouse click on the photo in question and select 'COPY IMAGE LOCATION' I can past this into the forum IMAGE maker... I just found this photo shown here on google search and copied to here using the image icon on the above header line... This is very close to being CLICK CLICK hehe... If I add more info like IMGUR or ROYB I get even more photos of mine...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

My photo's are all public so anyone can do this with my photos and copy my HTTP URL address to re-post... Try it out... I started with 'K9PHT 14RT' on google search... This is a couple of unique words in my signature line so when used together you only get to see my posted on-line phots for the most part...

Sometimes i have to go to IMGUR and grab the URL LINK again as i guess there is time limit on how long the photos stay on-line...

Works for me at any rate hehe... This is also how I add my signature photo below here same procedure. In this case i had to change the size of signature photo to a 50 height size setting i think it was...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  4. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

The photo hosting sites are all revising their policies.
    They were originally intended for use by individuals, but the site owners have found that they're being overwhelmed by traffic from commercial organisations storing images there, to save space on their own web sites, or telling their vendors to do so.

Ian, the man from Scotland

5. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Look at my log and you should see all the pics say no 3rd party hosting and here is a list of the plans they offer to me
    Choose the plan that’s right for you and enjoy the premium member benefits.
    • Plus 50 offers 50GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting
    • Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting
    • Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and 3rd Party Hosting*
    • Ad free browsing
    • Plus 50
    • 60.2 GB Storage
    • $5.99 / MO
      Billed Annually

$59.99 / YR
      CHOOSE
      MOST POPULAR & BEST VALUE!
      PLUS 100
      110.2 GB Storage
      $9.99 / MO
      Billed Annually

$99.99 / YR
      CHOOSE

PLUS 500
      510.2 GB Storage
      $39.99 / MO
      Billed Annually

$399.99 / YR
      CHOOSE

6. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Yes, photobucket shut off 3rd-party image hosting on my account also.
    I've been using it for years, but have seen the degradation of their site over the past couple.
    All of my linked photos in every forum I have ever posted them in, now show the generic "upgrade your account" image. :mad:

7. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

Yeah this is getting discussed on other forums for the same reasons. My account got "restricted" without warning. They hold your pics hostage, with no way to delete pics to empty out pics, without paying up. Tons of threads in forums everywhere will lose their pics.

Luckily I got a Samsung Galaxy tab for Father's day and it came with unrestricted an Samsung Galaxy photo bucket app. Just not sure for how long.

I suspect the free image hosting business model will be a thing of the past.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  8. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I've just had this happen to me as well.
    This is the image that appears when I try to insert one of my photos in a Portal thread:
    [​IMG]

It also won't allow me to link a photo.

9. Strawhouse

Soooo...
    I only use Photo Bucket for posting pics on the Portal...
    Just 'discovered' that using the 'Upload a File' button and choosing 'Full Image' is the way to go...
    I know... how did I miss that?o_O IMG_4732.PNG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  10. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

11. Strawhouse

To insert Full Image(s):
    1. Choose Upload a File, and select Photo Library
    Choose Insert: Full Image for an individual photo.
    OR
    Choose Insert every image as a...Full Image
    IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_1613.JPG

I really like this, because I can insert my photos directly from my photo library...and it's free!
    I hope this helps.
    Pat

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    PointyCamper likes this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Same as the post above, however I found if taken on your cell phone you sometimes need to resize your photos before you can upload them onto this site. Sadly just an extra step needed but downloaded a free app that allows me to resize multiple photos.

13. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

14. mcwick

mcwick New Member

Oh, this thread is helpful! I have been working my way back through the mod threads (currently on page 104!) to get ideas for our NTU popup and I kept seeing all the missing pictures and I thought the links had broken or something like that. Now I know it's just Photobucket trying to go out of business.[V] It sucks because there are lots of mods that sound good, but without the pictures I have no idea what to do. Kicking myself for not doing the thread dive a month ago.

15. Strawhouse

Hmmm... I guess that it must depend on the phone. My pic in my previous post was taken on my iPhone and loaded

16. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

You can edit every post since the change over from the old forum.

17. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

I did not know that, thanks so much for letting me know.

Haybale likes this.
  18. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, this is the exact same thing as when webshots crapped out a couple of years ago. So many people used that site, and when it tried to do something similar, everybody swapped over to Photobucket. Now it happens again, and all the pictures in the threads disappear. My account still works, for the time being, but who knows how long it will last. I have started, just as Strawhouse has suggested above, to use the upload a file, and full image options. It works great. I have all my pictures on this computer anyway and can slip them back into threads as necessary. Even everything up on the 'cloud', gets downloaded to this computer and unzipped into a folder. Who knows when the cloud begins to rain someday and everyone loses all their pics.

19. Strawhouse

So... my previous post works for uploading pics to threads, but I haven't been able to successfully post pics in conversations. I've tried uploading a pic in a post to a thread, then copy/paste to my conversation. The link to the pic shows there, but I get this msg when trying to open it:
    IMG_4803.jpg

Has anyone resolved this issue?

20. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

So my method lately has been copy the picture I want (not the URL, the actual picture)
    upload_2017-8-14_9-38-59.png

and then paste it into the message:
    upload_2017-8-14_9-40-36.png

That's all I've been doing.

(I do realize it's a bit Meta with using pictures from this thread)